new to Cyprus

Old Jan 17th 2009, 5:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Veronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: new to Cyprus

Originally Posted by Carol and David
Hi Tim
You hit the hole on the head with that post. Myself and the OH are moveing because of the way we feel this country is going, My son will be 21 in 2 weeks, he has decided to get engaged "a long one i hope". i am know trying to tell him and his girlfriend to emigrate or to do some thing with there future, they dont have to come with us, Got familie in Canada, Australia who can give them a helping start, i feel this country will get worse
Cheers
David

We left the UK 5 years ago because we could see it was going downhill fast.
We have never regretted our decision and in fact every time we go to visit the family back in the Uk we are more and more sure we did the right thing.
Old Jan 17th 2009, 5:43 pm
Just Joined

Carol and David is an unknown quantity at this point

Excuse the spelling. on the last post
I wood go back to scool but the teechers there dont even bother to teach the three Rs to kids anymore .
My what a state or granny state we have become
Old Jan 17th 2009, 5:48 pm
Just Joined

Carol and David is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Veronica
Totally agree with you, unless i hit the jackpot with the lottery i will bind my time until we move minimum time period will be three years. as thats as soon as the OH can get her civil servant pension. speaking of the lottery must dash to put mine on.
David
Old Jan 17th 2009, 5:53 pm
Forum Regular

7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Carol and David
Hi Tim
You hit the hole on the head with that post. Myself and the OH are moveing because of the way we feel this country is going, My son will be 21 in 2 weeks, he has decided to get engaged "a long one i hope". i am know trying to tell him and his girlfriend to emigrate or to do some thing with there future, they dont have to come with us, Got familie in Canada, Australia who can give them a helping start, i feel this country will get worse
Cheers
David
Hi C&D... Was fairly confident i was not the only one! It is a shame, and your quite right, it is only going to get worse. Talking to you all today just strengthens my resolve to make it work, my only regret is that i didnt do it 10years ago, but then i wouldnt have lasted 5 minutes, little bugger i was..

England, the once all conquering domineering Empire has folded 10 fold into the laughing stock of the world, country so small in comparison has so many issues. Watching the news just rhiles me, they dedicated 2 days solid coverage on the Prince Harry episode, ok out of order perhaps, but does anyone actually care?..Meanwhile, thousands are burgled, stabbed, mugged, or worse still...made redundant... etc etc....

Last one out please turn off the lights?.. thats if they havnt all been stolen of course..
Old Jan 17th 2009, 6:06 pm
Forum Regular

7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Veronica-K
We left the UK 5 years ago because we could see it was going downhill fast.
We have never regretted our decision and in fact every time we go to visit the family back in the Uk we are more and more sure we did the right thing.
Thats most encouraging...my only fear if that it does not work out, and it has to...but for some reason it does not then i really am all out of ideas!!

talk about all eggs in a basket, but then all my hens are dead anyway!!

Old Jan 17th 2009, 6:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Veronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 7immyboy
Thats most encouraging...my only fear if that it does not work out, and it has to...but for some reason it does not then i really am all out of ideas!!

talk about all eggs in a basket, but then all my hens are dead anyway!!

The one thing I would advise is that you make sure you have enough money put to one side to be able to return to the UK if things dont work out in Cyprus. Make sure you have your air fare plus a bit extra somewhere safe just in case. The worst thing would be to find it dosnt work out and not be able to afford your air fare home.
You are still young, treat it as an adventure. Life is too short for regrets and what ifs.
go for it Tim. Good luck

Veronica
Old Jan 17th 2009, 6:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Veronica-K
The one thing I would advise is that you make sure you have enough money put to one side to be able to return to the UK if things dont work out in Cyprus. Make sure you have your air fare plus a bit extra somewhere safe just in case. The worst thing would be to find it dosnt work out and not be able to afford your air fare home.
You are still young, treat it as an adventure. Life is too short for regrets and what ifs.
go for it Tim. Good luck

Veronica
Oh yes.. Had some experience last summer and learned that one the hard way, i have 3 months money, plenty methinks, and i am not fussy on the job front, although i will find a suitable career orientated job in time, but for now i`d sweep the streets quite happily

Thanks for that, Cant wait now... 6 weeks today i fly!!!
Old Jan 18th 2009, 8:00 am
Forum Regular

tracy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

This is just a question/observation and not necesarily my opinion but when I was in Cyprus last October the hotel we stayed in was small and the bar was used as a 'local' for a group of local Cypriot guys. We spent our evenings chatting with them and they appeared to be getting the same feelings about Cyprrus as we seem to have about the UK, that too many immigrants are spoiling the culture and new build developments are ruining the landscape, Cyprus is going down a slippery slope they don't like and a couple (the younger ones) were planning on leaving as soon as they could afford it as earning a living is too hard etc etc. Does anyone think that all countries have the same problems or similar equally frustrating problems??
It does seem that it is mainly natives who get so upset over these domestic issues in their countries. Let's face it immigrants LOVE England and we all know why that is but at the same time something like 5000 Brits a month are leaving.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 8:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tracy1
This is just a question/observation and not necesarily my opinion but when I was in Cyprus last October the hotel we stayed in was small and the bar was used as a 'local' for a group of local Cypriot guys. We spent our evenings chatting with them and they appeared to be getting the same feelings about Cyprrus as we seem to have about the UK, that too many immigrants are spoiling the culture and new build developments are ruining the landscape, Cyprus is going down a slippery slope they don't like and a couple (the younger ones) were planning on leaving as soon as they could afford it as earning a living is too hard etc etc. Does anyone think that all countries have the same problems or similar equally frustrating problems??
It does seem that it is mainly natives who get so upset over these domestic issues in their countries. Let's face it immigrants LOVE England and we all know why that is but at the same time something like 5000 Brits a month are leaving.
You will find these problems no matter where you go these days.
Yes there have been a lot of changes in Cyprus but talking to people in the know I get the feeling that a lot of the Eastern Europeans and Phillipinos etc will go back to their families in their own countries in the next couple of years as the jobs are not as numerous as they were.
Also foreigners who resort to crime when they lose thier jobs are deported unlike in the Uk where they get their knuckles wrapped and the do gooding human rights brigade say oooohhhhh noooo you cant throw them out thats against thier human rights.
As for development, a lot of that is on hold for now, with only the started projects being completed and very very few new applications being submitted compared to the last few years.
A few of the larger developers who have been building willy nilly all over the place are now tightening their belts as they are finding it hard to sell what they already have built and the banks wont lend them any more money to start new projects.
This can only be good for the island in the long run even if it does mean loss of jobs short term.
The funny thing is that while the younger Cypriots are planning to leave the island many older ones who left years ago are now returning and setting up new businesses with the money they have earned in other countries.
Cypriots are returning home from places such as South Africa, Australia, Canada and the UK. These people have seen life from both sides of the coin yet choose to return to Cyprus. Surely that speaks volumes.
Young people will always want to explore other opportunities and who can blame them, but you can be sure many of them will end up coming home eventually.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 8:42 am
Forum Regular

Hi Veronica, yes it does speak volumes, in fact two of the older retired guys we spoke to had done exactly that, lived in England and brought up their children here then gone back to retire. Like someone on here said, if you have to work all the hours there are you might as well do it in the sun and without fear of getting a knife in your back on your way home from work!!

I feel that if I am going to be the foreigner I don't want to be it in my own country, that's how it feels here. Just have the persuade the rest of my household!!!!!
Old Jan 18th 2009, 8:45 am
Forum Regular

By the way I am well off topic now but yummymummy (Tricia I think) doesn't appear to be on here any more, the last I heard was that she was taking the plunge last November?? Does anyone know whether it worked out for her???
Old Jan 18th 2009, 8:48 am
BE Enthusiast

By the way I am well off topic now but yummymummy (Tricia I think) doesn't appear to be on here any more, the last I heard was that she was taking the plunge last November?? Does anyone know whether it worked out for her???
Yes she is here, in fact I have met up with her and her hubby doug a couple of times.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

That's great
Do you know if her son settled?? I know she was worried as he wasn't keen I think
Old Jan 18th 2009, 8:52 am
BE Enthusiast

That's great
Do you know if her son settled?? I know she was worried as he wasn't keen I think

Yes is fine now, a bit unsettled at first but he has adjusted and is happy I believe
Old Jan 19th 2009, 5:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Honest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of light

Proves that the grass isn't always greener.

Things haven't worked out for us in Cyprus. so we're going home. It does work out for some, but I guess it depends on your expectations on life.

Its hard for me here and I can't wait to get back. I feel that my kids are missing out on so much.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.