Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Cyprus
Reload this Page >

Need advice please

Need advice please

Old Aug 28th 2009, 4:50 pm
Just Joined

lynnc is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Need advice please

Hi my name is lynn and i am looking to come to cyprus to live with my husband and young son of eight . what i would like to know is what areas are best im looking south area also schools in the area. i will be coming over in feb with my family to look at different areas and places and am also looking at a place to rent for a week any ideas or contacts would help also what are the best developers to go with so we will not get ripped off have heard alot of bad developers are in cyprus so any info would help thank you in advance for any replies. lynn
Old Sep 4th 2009, 8:22 am
Just Joined

Oleander321 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Need advice please

Hi there, I am new to this forum and acquainting myself with it. Just wanted to tell you my experience of doing the same as you intend doing.. First of all, I love Cyprus and haven't regretted moving here at all.

I holidayed in Cyprus for quite a few years and then came over to Cyprus for a 'week at a time' for quite a few years 'househunting' to try to decide where I would like to live and visited most towns and villages from Limassol up to the foothills of Troodos and out to the East as far as Dherynia. In the end I took out a 12 month lease on a very cheap apartment in a very popular and busy area, from where I could reach banks, post offices, estate agents and most amenities easily to enable me to take the time to househunt from there. I thought this would mean I wouldn't have to rush into buying a vehicle (but ended up getting one quite quickly as being without one seriously hampered my ability to look around or go anywhere at all!)

I found a week just wasn't long enough to get any proper sort of impression of places you might want to buy a property in and impressions varied so much depending on what month of the year you chose to visit (or even what time of day/night). Some places were isolated from October to April, but almost unbearably hot and crowded during the summer months. Some were lovely during daylight hours, but totally deserted and pitch black with no one on the streets after dark! Back then, Internet access was not as widely available as it is now and that was a big consideration for me too as it is essential for me to work and keep in touch easily with my loved ones.

I've moved twice since then and long ago decided not to buy yet (maybe not at all), but to continue renting, in case I decide to move again. I liked it very much for a year or so where I am now, but the area is changing drastically this year and I am taking another serious look at whether I will decide to remain here or move again.

Ooops! Sorry this is so long and rambling! Just thinking aloud really! In short - my advice is to come over but take your time to decide whereabouts to settle and definitely rent not buy until you've given yourself lots of time to decide.
Old Sep 4th 2009, 10:39 pm
Just Joined

thanx oleander
i will def do my homework and will not rush in to anything rash i now realise it is going to take longer then i thought so glad i found this site . renting does seem the best way forward untill you know you are going to be stable
thank you once again
lynn
Old Sep 6th 2009, 9:03 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

I had a friend who had a newbuild done in Paphos, and it turned into a bit of a disaster. The builder didnt start the townhouse for 12 months after he was supposed to and then there was some kind of problem with the mortgage, there was an extra charge made because of the delay.

I think the best advice that can be given is find a good independent solicitor that has absolutely nothing to do with the developer if you are buying new build.
Old Sep 6th 2009, 6:24 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Good point, M. I'd add, be crystal clear about the title.. that was a popular problem on the islands I've lived on. People are happy to sell land they don't really own.
Old Sep 7th 2009, 11:50 am
Just Joined

Patricia1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Lynnc,
Seems to me that you are getting some good advice from various people.
We have lived here 20 years my advice would be the same whatever you do, do not buy for at the very least 12 months, if at all. There are plenty of good priced rental properties about and in very nice areas. Don't be tempted to go and live in the tourist areas because you will be ripped off all the year round the way things are at the moment, plus the place will be virtually dead in winter.
Another thing to really look well into before you decide is your child's education. My daughter came over to live with my two young granddaughters who put directly into a Greek school so that they would integrate immediately with the local children. Unfortunately, the schools here are not geared up to teach foreign children so they lost out not only on the Greek but also on their English and are now taught at home.
Old Sep 7th 2009, 2:13 pm
Just Joined

Thanx for the advice all, I must agree the education part is giving me an headache i dont know what to do . i know some people do put children into state school and are fine and i have read others who have not been ok . To be honest its the money side of it at the moment as i will keep my home back home so need to have money to be able to live in cyprus for 12 months while looking for a job so state would be better because ists free. Can anyone tell me as well state school do you have to know some greek thank you all for your replies they are so helpful
Old Sep 7th 2009, 5:24 pm
Just Joined

Patricia1 is an unknown quantity at this point

No Lynnc, the children going to Greek school do not have to know any Greek the schools are meant to give the children extra tuition but it just does not seem to work that way (at least not the schools where we live) I think it depends where you are going to live. You may have to suss the shools out in the area and speak to other Brits whose children are attending the local schools where you are intending to stay. Good luck.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 2:33 pm
Banned

restawhile is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lynnc
Hi my name is lynn and i am looking to come to cyprus to live with my husband and young son of eight . what i would like to know is what areas are best im looking south area also schools in the area. i will be coming over in feb with my family to look at different areas and places and am also looking at a place to rent for a week any ideas or contacts would help also what are the best developers to go with so we will not get ripped off have heard alot of bad developers are in cyprus so any info would help thank you in advance for any replies. lynn
I believe the south to be the best option
Old Feb 1st 2010, 11:00 am
Just Joined

David and Cathy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by restawhile
I believe the south to be the best option
Hello Lynn
We came to Cyprus 14 years ago intending to live in Nicosia but chose Limassol instead. Our daughters at the time were 3 and 4. They have been at The Heritage school since then and have loved it. But there are a number of good schools and it is best to set aside a day to visit a few and chose the one you are most comfortable with. Property seems to be holding up quite well in Limassol and you can easily find a place to rent until you wish to buy. If you need contacts for the schools or decent estate agents, let us know.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 4:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Veronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond repute

The advice to rent intially is very wise as it gives you time to get to know
1. Whether Cyprus is the right place for you long term
2. Which area is best for you

Once you have settled on an area that you like take your time to look around as there are some very good bargains to be had. Whether you intend to buy a resale property or buy from a developer you will find that at this time you can often get a considerable discount as the property market is stagnant.
One thing to be aware of, if you do want to buy a resale property if it has title deeds it is easier to get a mortgage. Banks are very reluctant to lend on resale properties without title deeds. Off plan or properties that are finished and ready to move into from developers are easier for mortgage purposes as the developers will act as guarantors at the banks. But the best deals are definitely resales if they have title deeds.

Veronica
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 9:28 pm
not wired right

scottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of light

hi we moved with my son of 11 to crete after visiting an being fed a lot of bull bout how the schools were (an yes we did visit the school) also how the greek kids would take to him (last straw he was pushed under a car!) an we're now on our way out to canada cos my son is having such a hard time at school with the constant bullying as hes seen as an outsider, 8 yrs old yur child may be ok but on personal experience don't expect to throw yur child in the deep end an let everyone tell yu they'll be fluent in 6 months cos theyre young - greek / cypriat greek is such a hard language to learn! cos its not fair as we've found out at the expence of my son luckily he'll have only missed 7 months of schooling an we cant wait to get on that plane!
yu would be better if yu can find an international school where yur going even if its private but we havnt got that option, its amazin even in budapest they have bout 4 international schools teachin the english ciriculum - but crete nothing! so please please be very wary!
Old Feb 24th 2010, 7:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Veronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottandsel
hi we moved with my son of 11 to crete after visiting an being fed a lot of bull bout how the schools were (an yes we did visit the school) also how the greek kids would take to him (last straw he was pushed under a car!) an we're now on our way out to canada cos my son is having such a hard time at school with the constant bullying as hes seen as an outsider, 8 yrs old yur child may be ok but on personal experience don't expect to throw yur child in the deep end an let everyone tell yu they'll be fluent in 6 months cos theyre young - greek / cypriat greek is such a hard language to learn! cos its not fair as we've found out at the expence of my son luckily he'll have only missed 7 months of schooling an we cant wait to get on that plane!
yu would be better if yu can find an international school where yur going even if its private but we havnt got that option, its amazin even in budapest they have bout 4 international schools teachin the english ciriculum - but crete nothing! so please please be very wary!
You cannot compare Crete with Cyprus as there is a large international community here and there are international schools. Also local government schools cater for non Greek speaking children.
We know of many British children who go to local schools and speak fluent Greek within a year and are very happy.

Veronica
Old Feb 25th 2010, 4:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with the others re renting first. We are in the Limassol area and also have kids at the Heritage - they love it and have settled really well. I would advise very strongly that you buy something that is actually built - rather than a deveopment where it is to be built. You can see exactly what you re getting and also would advise you go for something with title deeds.

Good luck
N
Old Feb 25th 2010, 4:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nic1
Agree with the others re renting first. We are in the Limassol area and also have kids at the Heritage - they love it and have settled really well. I would advise very strongly that you buy something that is actually built - rather than a deveopment where it is to be built. You can see exactly what you re getting and also would advise you go for something with title deeds.

Good luck
N
I agree 100% that int his day and age ifyou are buying from a developer it is best to buy something which is finished, either ready or nearly ready to move into. At least that way you know you are not going to end up having paid a deposit on something which may or may not actually be built in the long run.
Also developers are discounting ready to move into properties quite heavily to try to clear the backlog of unsold stuff.

Veronica

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.