Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Cyprus
Reload this Page >

Moving to Cyprus - perhaps?

Moving to Cyprus - perhaps?

Old Apr 17th 2009, 4:46 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 5
.Princess. is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Moving to Cyprus - perhaps?

Hi all!

Me and my friend (me single 21, friend single 20) really need to get our of the boring wet and cold UK and find a place to have a constant tan and have fun fun fun! (We work as hard as we play!)

We know the first thing is to find a job ASAP but how do we go about doing this, and where??
Been reading alot of posts about Cyprus - to go North or South, its expensive, then its not...ARGHH!:curse:

So any experience, knowledge or...well anything would be really appriciated!

Muchos Loves!
.Princess. is offline  
Old Apr 17th 2009, 5:39 pm
  #2  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 1
bo_2_red is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Cyprus - perhaps?

Originally Posted by .Princess. View Post
Hi all!

Me and my friend (me single 21, friend single 20) really need to get our of the boring wet and cold UK and find a place to have a constant tan and have fun fun fun! (We work as hard as we play!)

We know the first thing is to find a job ASAP but how do we go about doing this, and where??
Been reading alot of posts about Cyprus - to go North or South, its expensive, then its not...ARGHH!:curse:

So any experience, knowledge or...well anything would be really appriciated!

Muchos Loves!
Hell Yea, I'm the mate, we really wanna do this, so please if u have any useful info, it will be greatly appreciated.
bo_2_red is offline  
Old Apr 21st 2009, 6:30 pm
  #3  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Cyprus
Posts: 367
Veronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Cyprus - perhaps?

If you think that finding a job is going to be easy I am sorry to tell you that it isn't.
Cyprus has been hit by the credit crunch just as the same as the rest of Europe and with fewer hoilday makers jobs for young people like yourselves are in short supply.
I would suggest you come for a holiday to look around but with a return ticket in case things don't work out.
There are too many young brits with no jobs, no money to pay for accomodation and no money to get back home.
Come over, treat it is as an adventure but be sure to have a contingency plan for returning to the UK if things go wrong.
Veronica-K is offline  
Old May 5th 2009, 2:13 pm
  #4  
Just Joined
 
liliand's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: in the tropics
Posts: 28
liliand is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Moving to Cyprus - perhaps?

Hi everyone,
First post on this useful forum.
Well, we're thinking of retiring to Cyprus. We've lived as expats, teaching all round the world but fancy being closer to Europe. We don't expect to work, but perhaps write that book that's supposed to be inside all of us!

We have had holidays in Cyprus, but the forty degrees Cyprus temperatures now recorded for the summers worry us - is global warming really getting a hold or is that normal? Is it a dry or humid heat?

Is it cooler up the mountain, and are there long-term rentals there? How has the cost of living been impacted by the credit crunch?

I'm interested in nature and look forward to communing / photographing / painting. My husband enjoys sports - will he get on TV all he wants to watch?

Being Brits, we hope to 'enjoy' the health services on Cyprus - how does that work for the over 70s? Love to hear from you. Lilian and Mike
liliand is offline  
Old May 5th 2009, 2:54 pm
  #5  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Cyprus
Posts: 367
Veronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Cyprus - perhaps?

Originally Posted by liliand View Post
Hi everyone,
First post on this useful forum.
Well, we're thinking of retiring to Cyprus. We've lived as expats, teaching all round the world but fancy being closer to Europe. We don't expect to work, but perhaps write that book that's supposed to be inside all of us!

We have had holidays in Cyprus, but the forty degrees Cyprus temperatures now recorded for the summers worry us - is global warming really getting a hold or is that normal? Is it a dry or humid heat?

Is it cooler up the mountain, and are there long-term rentals there? How has the cost of living been impacted by the credit crunch?

I'm interested in nature and look forward to communing / photographing / painting. My husband enjoys sports - will he get on TV all he wants to watch?

Being Brits, we hope to 'enjoy' the health services on Cyprus - how does that work for the over 70s? Love to hear from you. Lilian and Mike
Hi lili,
If you are down on the coast it is very hot and humid in the summer.however just a few kilometres out of town the temperatures are much cooler and ifyou are sensible you can quickly acclimatise. Don't rely on airconditioning as this just gives the fridge to oven effect and you do not get used to the heat as easily.
We never use aircon much preferring fans which are cheaper to run and much healthier(unlike aircon they dont give you chest infections)
As for sport a large sky dish will take care of all your telly needs

The health service here is much more efficient than the Uk. If you need to see a specialsit you just go to the hospital and tell them which specialist you want to see and you can see them the same day.
We have several friends who have had heart surgery who are so full of praise for the hospitals.
You need to get an E121 ansd you will get free treatment as a pensioner.

Best regards
Veronica
Veronica-K is offline  
Old May 7th 2009, 10:29 am
  #6  
Just Joined
 
liliand's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: in the tropics
Posts: 28
liliand is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Moving to Cyprus - perhaps?

Hi Veronica,
Well, what great advice - we love fans and the natural breezes, and are not 'fans' of air-con - just like you! We'll check out Cyprus I'm sure and look around before comitting to any particular place.
The responses on this forum cheer us up no end - there are a lovley lot of interesting folks over there to meet I can tell.

Looks like there are plenty of rentals to choose from - thats what we'll do first , and as retirees we aren't looking for work, so don't have that extra challenge.

I guess there are plenty of social activities to join, or even start?!
Lilian and Mike
liliand is offline  
Old May 7th 2009, 11:27 am
  #7  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Cyprus
Posts: 367
Veronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Cyprus - perhaps?

Originally Posted by liliand View Post
Hi Veronica,
Well, what great advice - we love fans and the natural breezes, and are not 'fans' of air-con - just like you! We'll check out Cyprus I'm sure and look around before comitting to any particular place.
The responses on this forum cheer us up no end - there are a lovley lot of interesting folks over there to meet I can tell.

Looks like there are plenty of rentals to choose from - thats what we'll do first , and as retirees we aren't looking for work, so don't have that extra challenge.

I guess there are plenty of social activities to join, or even start?!
Lilian and Mike

I don't know what is available in other areas but in the Paphos area there are several bowls clubs. The UKCA has loads of activities. There are walking clubs and the hash house harriers are also popular.
Loads more stuff available and I am sure you will get some more replies as to what there is out there.
Veronica-K is offline  
Old May 8th 2009, 12:43 am
  #8  
Just Joined
 
liliand's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: in the tropics
Posts: 28
liliand is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Moving to Cyprus - perhaps?

I have just discovered that the conservation charity UKOT [United Kingdom Overseas Territories] has two sites of conservation interest and action situated at the Cyprus military bases, East and West - RAMSAR sites too, with Great Flamingoes and lots of rare birds and wildlife.

Look up www.ukot.org for more info.

Are there any other conservation / biology / photography groups that meet on Cyprus?
Lilian
liliand is offline  
Old Jun 10th 2009, 8:52 am
  #9  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 3
telsy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Cyprus - perhaps?

Originally Posted by liliand View Post
Hi everyone,
First post on this useful forum.
Well, we're thinking of retiring to Cyprus. We've lived as expats, teaching all round the world but fancy being closer to Europe. We don't expect to work, but perhaps write that book that's supposed to be inside all of us!

We have had holidays in Cyprus, but the forty degrees Cyprus temperatures now recorded for the summers worry us - is global warming really getting a hold or is that normal? Is it a dry or humid heat?

Is it cooler up the mountain, and are there long-term rentals there? How has the cost of living been impacted by the credit crunch?

I'm interested in nature and look forward to communing / photographing / painting. My husband enjoys sports - will he get on TV all he wants to watch?

Being Brits, we hope to 'enjoy' the health services on Cyprus - how does that work for the over 70s? Love to hear from you. Lilian and Mike
Hi there
My husband and I have a villa in Karshiaka in Northern cyprus which we've had now for two years. We are delighted with it and hope to spend at leat six months of the year there as soon as my husband retires in a couple of years time. The people are very friendly, the cost of living very reasonable as long as you dont want too many brand names. the local fresh veg, fruit, etc, are second to none. the scenery in north cyprus is wonderful so would be great for painting, nature, etc. My passion is sport, playing and watching, and sky is readible available. There is a badminton club in Kyrenia, football stadiums to play in, the list goes on. I cant tell you much about the health service from personal experience but my neighbours out there say it is fantastic, a first class service.
My husband and I were out there last August and although extremely hot when we had all the windows open and doors there was a cooling constant breeze.
I do rent the villa out to friends and family but we are also considering letting it out long term. It has three bedrooms, a lovely 10 x 5 swimming pool, in a delightful setting. If you want any details, photographs, do let me know.
I wish you well in your venture.
telsy is offline  
Old Jun 10th 2009, 10:38 pm
  #10  
Just Joined
 
liliand's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: in the tropics
Posts: 28
liliand is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Cyprus - perhaps?

Many thanks for your reply.
We will very likely be visiting Cyprus before the end of the year, and will check out northern Cyprus - it sounds fine. How do we keep in touch with you?

Northern Cyprus is not part of the EU yet is it? Have they applied to join does anyone know?
Lilian

Last edited by liliand; Jun 10th 2009 at 10:39 pm. Reason: missed out important information
liliand is offline  
Old Jun 11th 2009, 8:23 am
  #11  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Cyprus
Posts: 367
Veronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Cyprus - perhaps?

Lilian please be aware of the many problems in Northern Cyprus regarding property issues.
If you google the Orams case you will find articles about it. Also take a look at these articles


http://www.mfa.gov.cy/mfa/properties...n?OpenDocument

http://www.cyprusweekly.com.cy/defau...ocalNewsID=905

The European court recently upheld the claim by a Greek Cypriot owner of property in the North and it will open the way for many more such claims.

The North is not a member of the EU and unless the current property situation is sorted out they probably never will be.
This means that EU citizens will not have all the rights that they have in Southern Cyprus.

If you decide on living in the North rather than the South DO NOT buy a property there. It is far safer to rent as at least you wont ever find yourself in a position of 'owning' an illegal property and having to give it back to the rightful owner of the land. Many many expats of British and other nationalities could f ind themselves in a position where they will lose everything.

Regards Veronica
Veronica-K is offline  
Old Jun 11th 2009, 12:22 pm
  #12  
Just Joined
 
liliand's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: in the tropics
Posts: 28
liliand is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Cyprus - perhaps?

Dear Veronica,
We much appreciate your reply, and renting is what we have in mind, not buying! Yes, there do seem to be a number of house/land ownership issues in N. Cyprus.
My husband has lived there before, and we will probably spend some time there renting.
Any suggestions about 2bed/2bath house rentals fully furnished - any N. Cyprus location? I notice you add an estate agent website too. Lilian
liliand is offline  
Old Jun 11th 2009, 12:36 pm
  #13  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Cyprus
Posts: 367
Veronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Cyprus - perhaps?

Hi Lilian, We dont deal in Northern Cyprus because we dont want to get involved in the problems there. We have had requests from developers in the North to market their properties but have declined them.
I am sure there are many companies there who can help you, and as long as you do rent and not allow anyone to talk you into buying I am sure you will be fine.

Regards Veronica
Veronica-K is offline  
Old Jun 11th 2009, 2:23 pm
  #14  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 3
telsy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Cyprus - perhaps?

Originally Posted by Veronica-K View Post
Lilian please be aware of the many problems in Northern Cyprus regarding property issues.
If you google the Orams case you will find articles about it. Also take a look at these articles


http://www.mfa.gov.cy/mfa/properties...n?OpenDocument

http://www.cyprusweekly.com.cy/defau...ocalNewsID=905

The European court recently upheld the claim by a Greek Cypriot owner of property in the North and it will open the way for many more such claims.

The North is not a member of the EU and unless the current property situation is sorted out they probably never will be.
This means that EU citizens will not have all the rights that they have in Southern Cyprus.

If you decide on living in the North rather than the South DO NOT buy a property there. It is far safer to rent as at least you wont ever find yourself in a position of 'owning' an illegal property and having to give it back to the rightful owner of the land. Many many expats of British and other nationalities could f ind themselves in a position where they will lose everything.

Regards Veronica
Turkish Title Deed property in the North is absolutely safe. The north is far more scenic, less populated, people are extremely friendly and it is much, much cheaper. More than that, it is very uncommercialised compared to the south.
telsy is offline  
Old Jun 11th 2009, 3:59 pm
  #15  
Just Joined
 
liliand's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: in the tropics
Posts: 28
liliand is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Cyprus - perhaps?

Veronica, Thanks for your posts - very helpful to us.
We may yet meet up in Cyprus! All best wishes, Lilian
liliand is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.