Moving to Cyprus help

Moving to Cyprus help

Old Jul 10th 2011, 8:24 pm
CR2
Just Joined

CR2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Moving to Cyprus help

Good evening all,

We are moving to Cyprus later this year, we have done lots of research on internet and this site,

We would be grateful if you could give your honest advice.

We are moving over with saving so would not need employment for 1st year or 2.

We are looking to move to Northern Cyprus.

1) We have a nice villa lined up to rent for just 500GBP which seems a good deal, if we was to look at living on a tight budget to start with to give us the best chance over there, what would be our rough out lay be on bills such as electric, water, gas, council tax etc - no car needed.

2) I work as a bus / coach driver, would it be possible to find a vacancy in 2 years? i am proactive and willing to look for the work and work long hours. Roughly what wage could i expect and what sort of hours?

We are a family of 2 adults and 2 children.

Thank you in advance for all your help.
Old Jul 17th 2011, 8:58 am
Just Joined

jaguar58 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Cyprus help

HI THERE I LIVED IN CYPRUS FOR 5 YEARS WITH MY WIFE AT FIRST WAS OK WHEN IT WAS CYPRUS POUNDS BUT SINCE THE EURO IT HAS DIED , I WILL BE TRUE WITH YOU IT WILL NOT BE EASY TO GET EMPLOYMENTAND IF YOU DO GET EMPLOYMENT ITS THE GETTING PAID MY DAUGHTER STILL LIVES THERE JUST ABOUT, WHEN YOU LIVE THERE IT IS TOTALLY DIFFERENT AND THE PEOPLE ARE DIFFERENT TO YOU THAN ON HOLIDAY SO BE CAREFUL, THE COUNTRY IS NICE SO IS THE WEATHER BUT FOR THE PEOPLE THEY WILL TAKE YOU FOR A RIDE I WOULD GO SOMEWHERE ELSE IN MY OPINION HOPE THIS HELPS

We are moving to Cyprus later this year, we have done lots of research on internet and this site,

We would be grateful if you could give your honest advice.

We are moving over with saving so would not need employment for 1st year or 2.

We are looking to move to Northern Cyprus.

1) We have a nice villa lined up to rent for just 500GBP which seems a good deal, if we was to look at living on a tight budget to start with to give us the best chance over there, what would be our rough out lay be on bills such as electric, water, gas, council tax etc - no car needed.

2) I work as a bus / coach driver, would it be possible to find a vacancy in 2 years? i am proactive and willing to look for the work and work long hours. Roughly what wage could i expect and what sort of hours?

We are a family of 2 adults and 2 children.

Thank you in advance for all your help.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 4:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Veronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond repute

I think that most people would advise against Northern Cyprus.
It is an illegally occupied territory and recognised only by Turkey.
Most properties are built on stolen Greek Cypriot land and the general infrastructure is very poor.
Think about your chidrens schooling for one thing. Also as it is not an EU country you would have no rights to free health care or free schooling.
Southern Cyprus is a far safer bet as it is a member of the EU.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 9:02 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Veronica-K
I think that most people would advise against Northern Cyprus.
It is an illegally occupied territory and recognised only by Turkey.
Most properties are built on stolen Greek Cypriot land and the general infrastructure is very poor.
Think about your chidrens schooling for one thing. Also as it is not an EU country you would have no rights to free health care or free schooling.
Southern Cyprus is a far safer bet as it is a member of the EU.
HI IT MAY BE MORE SAFER BUT IT VERY EXPENSIVE NOW AND HOSES HAVE LOST THERE VALUE, ALSO MANY OF THE GREEK CYPRIOTS SUCH AS DEVELOPERS AND GOVERMENT ARE ONLY OUT TO TAKE US FOR ALL WE HAVE GOT I WOULNDT TRUST ANY OF THEM AGAIN THEY DO WHAT THEY WANTAND IGNORE THE EU RULES UNLESS IT GIVES THEM MONEY
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 6:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Veronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jaguar58
HI IT MAY BE MORE SAFER BUT IT VERY EXPENSIVE NOW AND HOSES HAVE LOST THERE VALUE, ALSO MANY OF THE GREEK CYPRIOTS SUCH AS DEVELOPERS AND GOVERMENT ARE ONLY OUT TO TAKE US FOR ALL WE HAVE GOT I WOULNDT TRUST ANY OF THEM AGAIN THEY DO WHAT THEY WANTAND IGNORE THE EU RULES UNLESS IT GIVES THEM MONEY
Please do not use capitals. It is considered to be shouting and bad manners on forums. It would also make your posts easier to read if you used punctuation.
As for your comments, Cyprus is no better but also no worse than any of the other mediterranean countries.
For anyone who is looking for a new life in a warmer climate there are always going to be some risks but those risks can be guarded against if people were not so gullible as to use the lawyer that their developer takes them to.
Many of the larger agents (British ones) who were here only to line their pockets in the good times have now left, thank heavens. These agents were not working for the best interest of their clients and gave a lot of very bad advice and charged the developers huge commissions. Prices have now come down considerably because the developers no longer have these big commissions to pay and also many resales are now beings old at under market value which means that there are a lot of bargains to be had now.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 10:34 am
Just Joined

jimmywilkes is an unknown quantity at this point

it is also bad manners to tell people what to do and how to write
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 8:00 pm
Just Joined

Angry Re: Moving to Cyprus help

Originally Posted by jimmywilkes
it is also bad manners to tell people what to do and how to write
THIS IS MY POINT OF VEIW ABOUT CYPRUS I WILL WARN ANYBODY ABOUTTHE PLACE ITS A LOVELY ISLAND BUT THESE PEOPLE ARE ARABS
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 12:03 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

THIS IS MY POINT OF VEIW ABOUT CYPRUS I WILL WARN ANYBODY ABOUTTHE PLACE ITS A LOVELY ISLAND BUT THESE PEOPLE ARE ARABS
Hi jaguar58,

Welcome to BE,

I think we may have gotten off on the wrong foot. Please know that no one is trying to tell you what to do, just that in the internet world it is considered shouting if one writes in all capital letters. It's just one of those things. Maybe if you are not a frequent users of forums you may not have known that, but no one is trying to tell you what to write, just trying to point it out.

Also I sense you may not have had a good experience, and we welcome all experiences good and bad, but we've have people of all backgrounds and nationalities that use BE and so ask that you take that into account when you next post.

We do value your thoughts though, so if you had any specifics to share about living and working in Cyprus I'm sure others would appreciate it.

I take it you no longer live there? What made you move away?
Old Jul 24th 2011, 3:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Sue
Hi jaguar58,

Welcome to BE,

I think we may have gotten off on the wrong foot. Please know that no one is trying to tell you what to do, just that in the internet world it is considered shouting if one writes in all capital letters. It's just one of those things. Maybe if you are not a frequent users of forums you may not have known that, but no one is trying to tell you what to write, just trying to point it out.

Also I sense you may not have had a good experience, and we welcome all experiences good and bad, but we've have people of all backgrounds and nationalities that use BE and so ask that you take that into account when you next post.

We do value your thoughts though, so if you had any specifics to share about living and working in Cyprus I'm sure others would appreciate it.

I take it you no longer live there? What made you move away?
Ok i take your point but in my situation i have had no help only costs for the last 2 years as like i said the developer has now gone into liquidation making it virtually impossible for me to get the deeds,and now i find out that he has a mortgage on the land my house was built,3 years previous my neighbour went to the land registry to check all was ok,so how was allowed to do this and worst of all its the same bank who gave him the mortgage that i bank with,now if i wanted i cannot sell my house, and no i do not live there any more only rented my place out now work went dry for the company i was running
Old Jul 24th 2011, 4:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ok i take your point but in my situation i have had no help only costs for the last 2 years as like i said the developer has now gone into liquidation making it virtually impossible for me to get the deeds,and now i find out that he has a mortgage on the land my house was built,3 years previous my neighbour went to the land registry to check all was ok,so how was allowed to do this and worst of all its the same bank who gave him the mortgage that i bank with,now if i wanted i cannot sell my house, and no i do not live there any more only rented my place out now work went dry for the company i was running
If the land was free of mortgage when your Specific performance was registered at the land registry then you have a legal case against the bank as well as the developer. If this is the case then a crime has been committed and you can apply for the developer to be arrested. I know of one developer who did the same thing nad he has fled to the USA to avoid arrest but an extradtition order has been issued for his return.
This sort of thing is being taken very seriously as these incidents are given the island a bad name even though the vast majority of developers are trustworthy.
As they say, bad news travel fast, good news dosn't travel at all so it is only the bad side of property purchase here that people hear about even though this island is in fact a far safer to buy than many others as long as you do your homework properly.
Old Jul 25th 2011, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

susiecy is just really nicesusiecy is just really nicesusiecy is just really nicesusiecy is just really nicesusiecy is just really nicesusiecy is just really nicesusiecy is just really nicesusiecy is just really nice

knowing both North and South .. my personal opinion would be .. if you are also looking to work .. especially bus/truck driving the EU south would be a better bet, tourist industry buses/taxis and building/cement lorries etc - you`d quite easily find a job if you have the right licenses - also being EU its easier and more acceptable to work - you dont need a work permit like in the north ...
also £500 for a villa .. wow thats quite alot hope its amazingly fantastic - for example with a private pool a villa ive seen for rent is only 270 euros in Paphos and its an open market .. sure you could haggle for a better price.

just saying..
Old Jul 25th 2011, 3:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

zygiman will become famous soon enough

Steer clear from North Cyprus. The Turkish Cypriots are ok, but Turkey is shipping hundreds of Turkish settlers in the north to swell the numbers there. The local Turkish Cypriots will soon be outnumbered, and there is friction between the two already.