Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Cyprus
Reload this Page >

Moving To Cyprus - Help

Moving To Cyprus - Help

Old Sep 26th 2004, 1:45 pm
Just Joined

LYNZRAB1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Moving To Cyprus - Help

Hi We Are A Scottish Couple With A 5 Year Old Daughter Moving To Cyprus Next Year. We Are Not Sure Which Area To Go To As I Will Need To Work When We Get There. I Dont Mind What Kind Of Job It Is Preferably Nothing To Do With Bars Or Hotels. I Have Heard That In A Lot Of Places The Work Is Seasonal Which Would Be Of No Use To Me, Can Anyone Advise Us Of What Areas Other Than Paphos We Should Be Looking At Bearing In Mind That Our Daughter Would Also Need To Go To School (probably Greek/cypriot).

Have A Nice Day All And Thank You In Advance For Any Response To My Posting

Lyndsay
Aberdeen (scotland)
Old Sep 26th 2004, 4:50 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving To Cyprus - Help

Have you visited Cyprus? Do you speak Greek? (I presume you don't plan to go to 'Northern Cyprus'). What's your trade/profession? Why Cyprus as opposed to somewhere else?

Have you investigated what employment opportunities there might be on the British military bases there, which are actually still a British territory (Sovereign Base Areas).

Jeremy

Originally Posted by LYNZRAB1
Hi We Are A Scottish Couple With A 5 Year Old Daughter Moving To Cyprus Next Year. We Are Not Sure Which Area To Go To As I Will Need To Work When We Get There. I Dont Mind What Kind Of Job It Is Preferably Nothing To Do With Bars Or Hotels. I Have Heard That In A Lot Of Places The Work Is Seasonal Which Would Be Of No Use To Me, Can Anyone Advise Us Of What Areas Other Than Paphos We Should Be Looking At Bearing In Mind That Our Daughter Would Also Need To Go To School (probably Greek/cypriot).

Lyndsay
Aberdeen (scotland)
Old Sep 28th 2004, 4:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

harveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of light

Lyndsay
Aberdeen (scotland)
HI LYNZRAB1

I have sent you PM
Old Oct 29th 2004, 11:20 am
Just Joined

SunSeaker is an unknown quantity at this point

Lyndsay
Aberdeen (scotland)
Hi Lyndsay

It really depends on what your husband does. There are three main towns in Cyprus which are less seasonal being Nicosia (the capital), Limassol (Cyprus' second town and major port) and Larnaka (where the main international airport is). I lived and worked in Nicosia for seven years and at the time (early to mid ninties) found that it offered the best employment opportnities especially with offshore companies.

All the major towns have international schools in them so schooling would not be a problem if you wanted your children to have that type of education. With Cyprus now in the EEc there will probably be more opportunites opening up. One thing to bear in mind though is that Cypriot salaries are quite low in comparison with UK salaries.

Depending on your financial circumstances, a popular trend at the moment is to buy one or more investment properties for letting and live off the income. For this to work though you would need to own the properties outright otherwise your rental income would go into paying off a mortgage.

Good luck with your move.