Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Cyprus
Reload this Page >

Moving to Cyprus with a disabled child

Moving to Cyprus with a disabled child

Old Jun 8th 2022, 6:57 pm
Just Joined

Geordiecowboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Cyprus with a disabled child

Hi, we are looking to relocate from the uk to Cyprus. We are a family, 2 adults and 3 kids. Our youngest, aged 5 is a full time wheelchair user who currently attends a special school in the uk.

Does anyone have any info on if there is any English speaking schools (ideally in the Paphos area but we are flexible) that would accommodate her needs.

I understand that the Cypriot education system tries to accommodate kids with special needs into their regular schools but as her needs are quite severe I think we would require a specific special needs school.

Google hasn’t been able to help with this, I’m hoping someone out there can.

Cheers
Old Jun 8th 2022, 10:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Red_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Cyprus with a disabled child

I hate to ask this... but do you qualify for a a work/residency permit in Cyprus? Brexit happened, it killed off the possibilities for- and hopes of- 95% who thought that just upping and working abroad was still possible. May we assume that you or your spouse has a job offer that comes with a work visa before asking further? Even being allowed to reside in CY for 6 months doesn't come with the legal ability to work, because really the options post-Brexit are:

highly-skilled-visa
marrying a Cypriot or an EU citizen,
study (non-permanent visa, can't promise that allows work but would allow education for your children)
or:
pension-based golden or FIP (work-definitely-not-allowed visas).which I'm guessing that with a 5 year old, you are probably too young for?

I don't know if Cyprus offers a digital nomad scheme, and know less if your employer has agreed to it (tax issues).

If you meet the criteria for any working visa, then I really don't think you are going to find that answer you hope for regarding English-education primary or secondary schools: but perhaps your (international) employer will probably have experience of this? I hope someone proves me wrong but I believe that your realistic aims are national (Greek language) schools, which would actually be absolutely fine for your five year old to reach fluency really quickly! but depending on the age of your older children, might be more challenging language-wise. My own experience is age 8 or 9 for attaining sufficient fluency to meet the national school leaving exams. Without employer-subsidised allowance into your pay packet, English speaking schools cost $$$ per child. But only you know your circumstances, aims and possibilities

I really hope you find a way, because I truly understand how important it would be to your family's health to get away from the horrible northern weather. Good luck, friend.
Old Jan 24th 2023, 4:41 am
Just Joined

Adzenture is an unknown quantity at this point

Would you consider homeschooling your child? Like hiring an english tutor?
Old Feb 1st 2023, 9:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Some good advise here.
It's unfortunate and I find it a little disturbing when new forum posters fail to show any acknowledgement to those who have taken the time to respond to them. Even when the advise may not be what they expected to hear, a quick word of thanks is always rewarding.

Regarding the homeschooling of children, I assume this is allowed in Cyprus. I say this because in France one was always free of all restrictions on homeschooling. However a new law passed in 2022 decrees that the possibility of receiving instruction at home will be strictly limited. It must be officialy requested on the national public service website, and if granted, before each new school year, one must declare to the mayor of the municipality and also to the National Education Services Director The Mayor arranges for an inspection of each educated child in a family from the 1st year they are homeschooled, with the survey repeated every two years until the child is 16.
Oh yes, the French still love their bureaucracy!
Old Feb 4th 2023, 8:54 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Adzenture View Post
Would you consider homeschooling your child? Like hiring an english tutor?
Out of interest, I googled Home-schooling in Cyprus. One result for Europe was an unofficial blog which gave out-of-date info on the situation in France, so not to be trusted for anywhere else. If interested in the idea, the OP should check the legal situation from official Government sources, and bear in mind that home-schooled children must usually follow the National Curriculum of their country of residence....
HTH if the OP is still around.....