Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Cyprus
Reload this Page >

Looking for advice...

Looking for advice...

Old Jul 8th 2013, 8:45 pm
Just Joined

russi666 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Looking for advice...

Hi all,I've just joined the site, and I'm already looking for free advice! Haha. Me and my partner are strongly considering moving to the Paphos region. I would say we are quite young for such a big move (26&24). We've been together almost 9 years, and have been living at my parents for 8 of those. Have no loans, mortgages, children, and have very basic jobs (factory worker/weekend window cleaner & childcare worker. Basically what I'm getting at is we have no ties to 'home'.To be perfectly honest, I think we both have our heart set on Spain, but as I already have several relatives in Paphos, I would imagine it would make the whole process a lot easier. I haven't spoken to them about it, because although I think they'd be more than happy to help, they moved there to get away from it all and I'd hate to burden them. I have approx £2k in savings, but wouldn't even consider a move with so little. I am looking to achieve savings of around 10k, as it sounds like enough to feel secure for a few months while we find our feet. We don't have many possessions that we are bothered about taking, I would assume we would get away with just paying a little extra for extra luggage allowance. Ideally, I'd be looking to go self employed. Not entirely sure of the route yet. My uncle runs a successful resteraunt in Paphos, so something like that might be an idea. I always have window cleaning to fall back on though. Basically any info, advice or criticism greatly appreciated. Its in the early stages, looking at late 2014, but its certainly something we're both very serious about.Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 11th 2013, 10:57 am
BE Enthusiast

zygiman will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Looking for advice...

10k sounds a lot, but may still not be sufficient for what you wish to do self employed wise. Many people are actually staring up their own businesses because they cannot find employment.
Why not do a reccy first, stay with family, and test the waters before committing?