Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Cyprus
Reload this Page >

How do I get incapacity benefit while living in cyprus

How do I get incapacity benefit while living in cyprus

Old Jan 12th 2011, 10:26 am
Just Joined

Alybongo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How do I get incapacity benefit while living in cyprus

Hi can anyone help me, I have been living in Cyprus for 6 years, I was working up til just over a year ago, when my back srarted playing up and has since got much worse and I have now been diagnosed with spondylitis and crumbling of the spine, I am waiting for an operation, obviously can't work and can't claim benefits here, I lost my husband suddenly a year ago, I am not entitled to his pension until I am 65! I am only 47. My pink card is due to expire, I have no income and the Cypriots won't help me at all, I applied for incapacity benefits in the uk 6 months ago, and no one wants to know,can any one tell me who can help me, I'm living a week at a time borrowing money to pay bills, does anyone have any ideas where I can get help please.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 10:36 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do I get incapacity benefit while living in cyprus

Originally Posted by Alybongo
Hi can anyone help me, I have been living in Cyprus for 6 years, I was working up til just over a year ago, when my back srarted playing up and has since got much worse and I have now been diagnosed with spondylitis and crumbling of the spine, I am waiting for an operation, obviously can't work and can't claim benefits here, I lost my husband suddenly a year ago, I am not entitled to his pension until I am 65! I am only 47. My pink card is due to expire, I have no income and the Cypriots won't help me at all, I applied for incapacity benefits in the uk 6 months ago, and no one wants to know,can any one tell me who can help me, I'm living a week at a time borrowing money to pay bills, does anyone have any ideas where I can get help please.
Well, if you have tried the Cypriot authorities then I guess there is no way forward there if they have refused. However, you have been paying into their system if you have been working, so they still wont cover you?

As far as Incapacity benefit is concerned, it is exportable ...... but note the word exportable. Unless anything has changed, you cant claim for it when you are already a foreign resident ... unless the rules between UK and Cyprus are different.

That being so, it seems your only way out would be to leave Cyprus and return to the UK where hopefully you would fall under the NHS again
Old Jan 12th 2011, 10:48 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your reply, I've been trying to sell my house for the past year but to no avail, I can't believe that no one will help, I can't go on borrowing, my operation is hopefully going to be in a month or so but don't no if they will still do it if my pink card has expired, Im not up to travelling, my back won't cope, it's as much as I can do to get about the house holding Walls and cupboards.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 10:52 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alybongo
Thanks for your reply, I've been trying to sell my house for the past year but to no avail, I can't believe that no one will help, I can't go on borrowing, my operation is hopefully going to be in a month or so but don't no if they will still do it if my pink card has expired, Im not up to travelling, my back won't cope, it's as much as I can do to get about the house holding Walls and cupboards.
Try speaking to the UK embassy. They do have a repatriation fund (as I know when I renew my passport and they take money from me) but I dont know what you need to do to qualify

I guess letting the house is out of the question
Old Jan 14th 2011, 1:36 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for that, tried embassy, they don't want to know, will look into renting I think that will probably be the only answer.