Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Cyprus
Reload this Page >

How to Care for a Vacant Property While Selling

How to Care for a Vacant Property While Selling

Old Jul 8th 2013, 2:15 am
Banned

Worldlywanderer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How to Care for a Vacant Property While Selling

I've just been reading a thread on another board which motivated me to start this thread. For anyone wanting, or needing to leave Cyprus it must be a huge problem deciding what to do about a house which is being left behind for sale.

First, any property left empty starts to deteriorate immediately; plants die, the pool turns green, small maintenance issues become huge problems. Empty houses become a target for break-in and the insurance copany may be unhappy about a long term vacancy.

Apparently the house-sitting websites are doing a roaring trade. A friend of mine recently took on house-sitters in France and they need six weeks notice to move on. They pay NO bills and live rent free for ten months.

As an alternative wouldn't it make sense to come to an agreement which could be terminated at short notice in the event of a sale and enjoy some rental income? Renting at a rate which may be a little lower than is usual to a couple (each one will have different strengths) who agree to maintain the property; water the flowers, clean the pool, deal with these small maintenance issues and pay the day to day running costs must be better than sustaining an ongoing financial burden.

If my wife and I can run a small hotel we could probably manage a house. We are planning a few months looking for a property to buy and are in no rush. Not being at all sure where we want to live we would have no problem moving on in the event of a sale and recent experience of renting has got us used to the need to restore gardens and pack away personal possessions - you'd be amazed what people miss when they are leaving a house for the last time.

If you have a house for sale and it is costing you a small fortune to maintain, worry whether it is being shown to best advantage and need caretakers who will pay you por the privilege of staying in your house just get in touch.
Old Jul 14th 2013, 11:08 pm
Just Joined

Mani.uk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How to Care for a Vacant Property While Selling

Originally Posted by Worldlywanderer
I've just been reading a thread on another board which motivated me to start this thread. For anyone wanting, or needing to leave Cyprus it must be a huge problem deciding what to do about a house which is being left behind for sale.

First, any property left empty starts to deteriorate immediately; plants die, the pool turns green, small maintenance issues become huge problems. Empty houses become a target for break-in and the insurance copany may be unhappy about a long term vacancy.

Apparently the house-sitting websites are doing a roaring trade. A friend of mine recently took on house-sitters in France and they need six weeks notice to move on. They pay NO bills and live rent free for ten months.

As an alternative wouldn't it make sense to come to an agreement which could be terminated at short notice in the event of a sale and enjoy some rental income? Renting at a rate which may be a little lower than is usual to a couple (each one will have different strengths) who agree to maintain the property; water the flowers, clean the pool, deal with these small maintenance issues and pay the day to day running costs must be better than sustaining an ongoing financial burden.

If my wife and I can run a small hotel we could probably manage a house. We are planning a few months looking for a property to buy and are in no rush. Not being at all sure where we want to live we would have no problem moving on in the event of a sale and recent experience of renting has got us used to the need to restore gardens and pack away personal possessions - you'd be amazed what people miss when they are leaving a house for the last time.

If you have a house for sale and it is costing you a small fortune to maintain, worry whether it is being shown to best advantage and need caretakers who will pay you por the privilege of staying in your house just get in touch.
I am already living here in Cyprus with my family and looking for work. I am happy to negotiate on terms to move in and take a very good care of your property.I have a house in UK. So being a landlord i know what is really takes to manage property.Can you please tell us where this property is located?Thanks