Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Cyprus
Reload this Page >

A home in Cyprus

A home in Cyprus

Old May 16th 2011, 1:17 pm
Forum Regular

xxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nice
Default A home in Cyprus

Hello to you all,

l have read lots of threads on living in Cyprus...very interesting reading about the property market and the "do's and don't s " in that venture.....some sound advice too might l say.

l would however like to ask l have friends that want to move to Cyprus to maybe retire there and wondered really what kind of information you lovely people could offer up... where they might want to live etc..l mentioned this site and they've asked me to see what the overall feeling is ...they are l might add to very active people in their 70's in semi retirement...

Thank you all for your help in advance
xxElainexx
Old May 17th 2011, 1:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

zygiman will become famous soon enough
Default Re: A home in Cyprus

Hi, well, i think we all need some information to be able to help. Just fire away the questions, and i am sure you will receive lot's of useful information.
Old May 18th 2011, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

xxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nice

Originally Posted by zygiman
Hi, well, i think we all need some information to be able to help. Just fire away the questions, and i am sure you will receive lot's of useful information.
Hi,

Thank you for replying.... have asked a few questions to find out what they want to know and what has been said is...given they are pensioners..in semi retirement...they would like to know where it would be suitable for them to live..i.e. hospitals, medical centres etc...also banks are they local to the different villages or would it be that they would have to travel...also TV and Internet connections...the internet is important to them...l think they want a general feel for where they should go to look at houses...they are planning a trip early next year l believe so would like some ideas of such areas...

Again many thanks for your help in advance...

xxElainexx
Old May 21st 2011, 6:22 pm
Just Joined

Cleo-Shahateet is an unknown quantity at this point

Most areas have high speeed internet available so that should not be a problem as they seem to want to be near to activities, medical centres etc. My company is based in Paphos which is the main area I am familiar with. It has a large expat community and all services available. They will easily find good doctors, places to bank, pharmacists, things to do etc. Some villages I recommend that are close to Paphos town are: Tala, Kamares, Konia, Armou, Chloraka, Emba, Kissonerga, Mandria and Timi to start with. Peyia is a bit farther out but also not a bad drive to Paphos town and Kato Paphos. It has a lot of expats and it is a love or hate it type of place.
Old May 22nd 2011, 2:39 am
BE Enthusiast

DerekM is an unknown quantity at this point

I suggest that your friends should have a holiday in Cyprus, perhaps renting a flat for a few months before going into too great a depth about the possibilities of moving there.
Old May 22nd 2011, 3:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Veronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond repute

Paphos has a lot of British expats and as Cleo says the villages close to town are ideal for older people with all the amenities being close at hand.
Konia and Anavargos are very close to the General hospital and as retired people on state pensions they would qualify for free treatment at the hospital.
We live in Konia and find it extremely convenient for town while still having that village feel.
Old May 28th 2011, 1:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

zygiman will become famous soon enough

Limassol is situated in the centre of the island, and is the business centre of the island. It has a long coastline, and it is a year round place, so many events happening all year. Other areas can be quite deserted in the winter, with many hotels, restaurants and bars closing, so picking your location is important.

Hospitals, schools, shopping, sports, theatres, cinemas, social clubs etc are all in abundance in Limassol. There is a nice mixed population, with many Expats too.

One of the great things about choosing Limassol, is that you are in easy reach of the rest of the island, and in between the two airports.

Property prices are holding their own in Limassol. This is something to consider when purchasing property, as you may find the value of your property has dropped a lot once bought elsewhere. Reccemmend renting first before buying, as there are plenty of bargains around, and would reccommend only purchasing a property with title deeds. Make sure you use a registered agent too.
Old May 31st 2011, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

A big hi to you all, as well as a big thank you for the advice given, all of which have been noted. l have passed them on to the friends asking and they too wish to thank you for your help.
l shall be back if any more advice required and thank you ...

Best wishes
xxElainexx
Old Jun 11th 2011, 7:12 am
Forum Regular

susan66 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default own furniture

Hi, I want to buy all my furniture for new house in Cyprus from here in Saudi and ship it off . Is it authorised to do that as it is personnal belongings not for commercial use,or will it be taxed? Many thanks
Old Jun 11th 2011, 10:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Veronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: own furniture

Originally Posted by susan66
Hi, I want to buy all my furniture for new house in Cyprus from here in Saudi and ship it off . Is it authorised to do that as it is personnal belongings not for commercial use,or will it be taxed? Many thanks
Some clients of ours recently shipped their furniture and personal belongings from Qatar. I don't think they had any tax to pay.
I would advise you to contact Orbit international removals who our clients used and were very very happy with. They will be able to tell you what the situation is.

Regards
Veronica
Old Jun 11th 2011, 3:48 pm
Forum Regular

susan66 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A home in Cyprus

Many thanks Veronica.