Help for Puppy

Old Jan 28th 2015, 7:44 pm
Just Joined

Fouby is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Help for Puppy

Hi,
Probably a story you've heard before but I hope it's worth a try.

Is there anyone in Cyprus who would like to adopt our puppy, called Lucky !

We visited Cyprus - Paphos - in November last year and Tala Village to be precise. An adult dog and it's puppy ran in front of the car and when we parked to visit the village, the Puppy was in the middle of the road. Not knowing any better we assumed that the Mother would be local and picked the puppy up to avoid it getting run down. Cutting a long story short, we now own a very pretty wee puppy that is currently in 'foster' care in Cyprus awaiting being flown back to the UK.

As we are primarily acting from a animal welfare perspective, it seems a shame that all this money is being spent to save a single dog. We already have two dogs, so are not planning to keep Lucky, but will re-home her here. If we could find a kindly person to adopt the dog in Cyprus, we would be very happy to donate a wodge of the cash to the local Dog Welfare Centre who were so very good as to help us when we turned up with Lucky. We will look after any Vet Bills.

The other option that might make the repatriation cheaper for us, is if someone would be willing to bring Lucky with them when they travel, as opposed to the solo flight which is quite expensive. We're in Edinburgh.

Thanks for reading and we did enjoy visiting Cyprus, despite the hiccough !

Cheers
Al
Old Apr 26th 2015, 3:24 am
Just Joined

Maria197Two is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Help for Puppy

Originally Posted by Fouby
Hi,
Probably a story you've heard before but I hope it's worth a try.

Is there anyone in Cyprus who would like to adopt our puppy, called Lucky !

We visited Cyprus - Paphos - in November last year and Tala Village to be precise. An adult dog and it's puppy ran in front of the car and when we parked to visit the village, the Puppy was in the middle of the road. Not knowing any better we assumed that the Mother would be local and picked the puppy up to avoid it getting run down. Cutting a long story short, we now own a very pretty wee puppy that is currently in 'foster' care in Cyprus awaiting being flown back to the UK.

As we are primarily acting from a animal welfare perspective, it seems a shame that all this money is being spent to save a single dog. We already have two dogs, so are not planning to keep Lucky, but will re-home her here. If we could find a kindly person to adopt the dog in Cyprus, we would be very happy to donate a wodge of the cash to the local Dog Welfare Centre who were so very good as to help us when we turned up with Lucky. We will look after any Vet Bills.

The other option that might make the repatriation cheaper for us, is if someone would be willing to bring Lucky with them when they travel, as opposed to the solo flight which is quite expensive. We're in Edinburgh.

Thanks for reading and we did enjoy visiting Cyprus, despite the hiccough !

Cheers
Al
Hello

I cant believe what I am reading.From where I am sitting I think you are very selfish and thoughtless with regards to the welfare of this puppy.

Quote-Is there anyone in Cyprus who would like to adopt our puppy, called Lucky !
Cutting a long story short, we now own a very pretty wee puppy that is currently in 'foster' care in Cyprus awaiting being flown back to the UK.

My answer to the above is,Has an owner been found in Cyprus who is wiling to give this wee puppy a home? Have you any updates you would like to share with us?

Quote-As we are primarily acting from a animal welfare perspective, it seems a shame that all this money is being spent to save a single dog. We already have two dogs, so are not planning to keep Lucky, but will re-home her here.

1-Why is it a shame that all this money is being spent to save a single dog?
2-Whose money is it? Your Money or the Charities money who is saving this Dog?
3-What would you have preferred the money to have been spent on because you have quoted that it seems a shame that all this money is being spent on a single dog. ( Your Words,Not mine )
4-If you already have two dogs and are not planning on keeping Lucky then why did you adopt her in the first place? I dont understand,Please clarify.
5-Did you research the costs of flying a dog back to the UK before you decided to adopt her?

Sorry to sound Harsh but I am a little concerned with the contents of your message.I think it is wonderful you Initially saved this Puppy and she is currently in a safe place but to bring her to the UK knowing full well you would not be keeping her and again passing her on to someone else is a little unfair on the dog.

I personally believe under the circumstances and your circumstances it would be better all round for the Dog and yourselves if she stayed in Cyprus and hopefully someone living in Cyprus would be able to adopt her,rather than her flying all the way here to the Uk waiting for someone to adopt her here.

I have a stray dog here with me in my home in the UK.I met him on the streets in Greece in 2013.I took a photo of him before I left and as soon as I returned home I contacted a Greek Charity,sent them the photo of him and they found him for me within a week.After his Checks and the necessary paperwork It took him 3 days to get to the UK.He came by Boat and Van.It cost me a fair bit of money to get him here along with his vets fees,passport and Injections.
I have no regrets and he has bought so much happiness into my life and I have given him a second chance.I love him so much and have no Regrets about what I done.

The difference between me and yourselves is I knew the costs involved before he came here to the Uk.It was money well spent.
I do hope a home is found for lucky and she gets a second chance of happiness.From the contents of your message it seems you are having doubts about this dog and the costs of bringing her to the UK so in these circumstances I believe she would probably be better off where she is and hopefully a good home can be found for her in Cyprus.
Old Apr 26th 2015, 2:49 pm
Forum Regular

Talagirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Quite often people pay for a dog to be fostered until it finds a 'forever' home, so presumably the people looking after it and the local dog charities were also actively looking for a permanent home for Lucky.

As the original post was written January 28th I hope by now Lucky has found a new home.
Old Apr 26th 2015, 5:18 pm
Just Joined

Fouby is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, yes I'm afraid you did mis-understand ... the whole point of the post was to ask if anyone in Cyprus was interested in fostering her to avoid having to bring her back to the UK .. and as you can see from the responses .. no-one did, similarly the local vet also failed to find anyone. The only reason we adopted her was to avoid her being put down, which was the only alternative.

So Lucky (now renamed Tala) has joined our family and I'm sure you will be pleased to know she is VERY happy !
(by the way it was our money and it was very expensive, and I would have preferred the money to have been spent helping a lot of dogs because by God the poor things need help in Cyprus)
Cheers
Al
Attached Thumbnails Help for Puppy-040.jpg  
Old Apr 26th 2015, 8:46 pm
Just Joined

Maria197Two is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Fouby
Hi, yes I'm afraid you did mis-understand ... the whole point of the post was to ask if anyone in Cyprus was interested in fostering her to avoid having to bring her back to the UK .. and as you can see from the responses .. no-one did, similarly the local vet also failed to find anyone. The only reason we adopted her was to avoid her being put down, which was the only alternative.

So Lucky (now renamed Tala) has joined our family and I'm sure you will be pleased to know she is VERY happy !
(by the way it was our money and it was very expensive, and I would have preferred the money to have been spent helping a lot of dogs because by God the poor things need help in Cyprus)
Cheers
Al
Hello Again.

Oh,she is absolutely Gorgeous.She is a beauty.Sorry for my rant and I obviously misunderstood some of your original Post.I agree the situation in Cyprus is horrendous when it comes to the welfare of the animals and the cost of bringing an animal back to the UK can be expensive.I just dont understand the mentality of SOME of these Greeks when it comes to the animals.I am a HUGE animal Lover and I cant stand seeing any animal in Pain or being abused.
I have attached a photo of my Greek Stray.His Name Is Balls.I did not name him.He was a well known stray.All the locals knew him and he was very popular in the area he lived in.This is the only name he answers to.I get some funny looks when I am calling his name out in the park but when I tell people the background to his name they think it is wonderful.We have a laugh about it.A 1 hour walk always turns into 2 hours. :-)
When I adopted him,I was inundated with messages from people that knew him,telling me they are going to miss him and it wont be the same without him in the area.
My answer to them is you had your chance of giving him a loving home but choose not to do it so no point in crying about it now.
Congratulations on your furry friend and I hope she brings you many years of happiness.
Attached Thumbnails Help for Puppy-161cd05d_o.jpeg  
Old Jun 1st 2015, 2:14 pm
SGT
Just Joined

SGT is an unknown quantity at this point

donate your puppy to Nicosia Dog Shelter, office in Limassol and Nicosia / they will take care of it - find it a eventual home / https://www.facebook.com/pages/Nicos...42096985849274