Reload this Page >

Help Planning to move!

Help Planning to move!

Old Dec 21st 2016, 11:27 am
Just Joined

morgan247 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Help Planning to move!

Hi Guys,

Thanks for looking at my thread. during the summer i went to Cyrpus with a few friends. loved it. love the country, love the people it is my perfect place.

I am currently 20 studying my Level 4 Network infrastructure (IT) and i want to be able to move to cyprus by the time i am 25-26.

Obviously i am young i dont really know alot about moving etc. i want to go out there at the age of 25-26 and live out there for a year or two i want to have a job (already been looking at options) i would prefer renting a one-two bedroom villa but a apartment will be fine.

how much do you think i would have to save for this? Is there anything i need to think about before i go? is there anything i need to do before i go?

Any advice will be appreicated!.

Thanks,

M
Old Dec 21st 2016, 4:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Veronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help Planning to move!

Hi, You are unlikely to get a one or two bedroom villa but there are plenty of 2 bedroom townhouses which are basically terraced houses, usually on complexes with communal swimming pool. You could probably rent one for around 400euros a month. You could rent a one bedroom apartment for as little as 250 month depending on location and the age and condition of the complex.
I would recommend saving at least 6 months money based on this and 200 per week for other expenses and going out money.
I would also recommend that you have enough money for a flight home in case things don't work out and make sure you don't touch that for anything else.
I have heard of many young people being stranded here when things went wrong and they had spent all their money and couldn't afford the flight home.
Old Jan 19th 2017, 1:50 pm
Just Joined

Big_bee7943 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Veronica,
I hope you don't mind my contacting you. I am looking to relocate to Cyprus in the not so distant future and would appreciate some wise words! It will be myself and my daughter aged 9, so schools, jobs, accommodation to rent. I lived in Cyprus briefly when I was younger but it would have changed, and have been back since for trips.
Would it be safe for myself and my daughter on our own? I also lived in Malta when I was young (for three years), this was with my father being in the RAF, but I don't really want pollution somewhat and all the high rise buildings taking over the island. Im after a hopefully slower pace of life and outdoor/better life for my daughter. Im not sure whether I would be better where expats are for company/advice and English schools.

Thank you in advance

Sam
Old Jan 20th 2017, 9:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Veronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big_bee7943
Hi Veronica,
I hope you don't mind my contacting you. I am looking to relocate to Cyprus in the not so distant future and would appreciate some wise words! It will be myself and my daughter aged 9, so schools, jobs, accommodation to rent. I lived in Cyprus briefly when I was younger but it would have changed, and have been back since for trips.
Would it be safe for myself and my daughter on our own? I also lived in Malta when I was young (for three years), this was with my father being in the RAF, but I don't really want pollution somewhat and all the high rise buildings taking over the island. Im after a hopefully slower pace of life and outdoor/better life for my daughter. Im not sure whether I would be better where expats are for company/advice and English schools.

Thank you in advance

Sam

Hi Sam,
If you are looking for a slower pace of life but all the amenities for full time living the Paphos area is probably most suitable.
There are plenty of British expats and several private schools which teach the UK curriculum. So your daughter would have no problem finding friends.
There is a good variety of areas so you can choose whether to live among other expats or with more Cypriot neighbours.
The village where I live (Konia) is very close to the international school of Paphos. Mostly Cypriots but also quite a few British families. Close to the general hospital and plenty of shops in easy reach.
8-10 minutes drive sown to the sea and only 15 minutes from the airport.

On the other hand the other side of Paphos you will find Peyia which has lots of Brits and a couple of private schools.
Don't believe estate agents blurb where they claim it is 20 minutes to the airport etc. from Peyia. It is about 20 minutes to Paphos centre and then another 20 minutes to the airport. However it is close to the sea and close to Coral Bay holiday resort.

Hope this helps a bit.

Veronica
Old Jan 20th 2017, 11:47 am
Just Joined

Big_bee7943 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Veronica,
Once again thank you for the info. I hope you do not mind my emailing again to you, as you seem to have the info I seek. I need to seek jobs/ and accommodation. I worry about things like electricity as have read its extremely expensive, accommodation and damp/noise, possibly being ripped off for deposits etc by landlords or maybe a rogue estate agent! The latter sounds similar to UK in some aspects! I was hoping for a local school or one that isn't private and is frequented by English kids, as she is my priority.
What do people do in the winter? I wouldn't come back to UK as there is nothing to come back to, I don't own my house just rent. Would I have to have a certain amount of funds to set me up?

Sorry so many questions!

Thank you

Sam
Old Jan 20th 2017, 1:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Big_bee7943
Hi Veronica,
Once again thank you for the info. I hope you do not mind my emailing again to you, as you seem to have the info I seek. I need to seek jobs/ and accommodation. I worry about things like electricity as have read its extremely expensive, accommodation and damp/noise, possibly being ripped off for deposits etc by landlords or maybe a rogue estate agent! The latter sounds similar to UK in some aspects! I was hoping for a local school or one that isn't private and is frequented by English kids, as she is my priority.
What do people do in the winter? I wouldn't come back to UK as there is nothing to come back to, I don't own my house just rent. Would I have to have a certain amount of funds to set me up?

Sorry so many questions!

Thank you

Sam

Finding a job before you actually get here is very difficult. Of course a lot would depend on the sort of job and whether you have a skill or profession that is in demand here. Unemployment among young Cypriots is quite high and Cypriots will tend to give jobs to their own, especially family members. Its very much a matter of who you know not what you know.

Electricity has come down a lot in the last couple of years and is now on a par with most of Europe, cheaper than some. It was expensive for a few years after the power station was blown up and an extra tariff was put on bills to pay for the new one.

Local schools teach in Greek and do not make any allowance for children who do not speak it so your daughter would need to learn Greek before you move here or she would fall well behind. In fact the standard of teaching in Cypriot schools is very poor. Recently the Cyprus mail reported that Cypriot student are the worst educated in Europe despite the teachers being the highest paid.

I would say do not come without at least 6 months money to give you time to find a job. Keep enough money separate for flights home if things don't work out. Many Brits have found themselves stranded without any money to pay for flights when things went wrong.

To be brutally honest with you this is not the place for families unless the main bread winner has a very well paid job and those are few and far between. I am guessing that you are a single parent as no partner has been mentioned.

Sorry if that all sounds depressing but better to be forewarned than to come over expecting everything to be roses. It can be done but with a young child it is not easy.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Veronica