Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Cyprus
Reload this Page >

HELP! cannot afford to move and not work

HELP! cannot afford to move and not work

Old Jun 1st 2010, 4:50 pm
Just Joined

quacker is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile HELP! cannot afford to move and not work

This is a new experience for me so here goes.... I am thinking of moving to cyprus in october and, having read all forum comments, it looks like a bad idea! Where am I best to go to to get a job and what type of jobs are available for a 50 year old over there? I cannot afford to move and not work.
Old Jun 1st 2010, 8:08 pm
Just Joined

cytom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: HELP! cannot afford to move and not work

Hi,
don't worry. It's not impossible to find work. You just either need to be qualified in a desired area e.g. accounting, law etc or be willing to try maybe something different.
You will be fine. The island is better for mature persons rather than younger expats, mainly because ther are lots of retired expats and it's easy to make friends.

Tom
(SNIP)

Last edited by Mitzyboy; Jun 3rd 2010 at 9:54 pm. Reason: URL removed
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 6:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Veronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond repute

There is work if you are adaptable and willing to have a go at anything. However unless you have an occupational pension to supplement any earnings you will find it hard to earn enough for a comfortable lifestyle.
If you do have a small pension then I would say you have nothing to lose by giving it a go as long as you have no dependents.
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 4:18 pm
Just Joined

[Thankyou for replying and being positive. I have a tiny pension so it won't help much but I am willing to give anything a go and have no dependants and I think if I do not have a try I will always think 'what if ...' in later years so, all being well, may see you in October! I have a lot of things to sort out now .
Old Jun 5th 2010, 1:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond repute

I would err on the side of caution. People I know who are living on sterling pensions are struggling - and these are people with no mortgages or rent to pay. Do your sums, work out your living costs and then decide if you can manage. There are hundreds (possibly) thousands of people looking for jobs, and many many ex-pats who offer pool cleaning services, gardening, house maintenance, painting, plumbing etc. etc.

It really depends on what work you plan to do workwise. Wages are relatively low here and COL is not so low.

Hope it all goes well whatever you decide.
Old Jun 7th 2010, 11:35 pm
Forum Regular

7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Nic1
I would err on the side of caution. People I know who are living on sterling pensions are struggling - and these are people with no mortgages or rent to pay. Do your sums, work out your living costs and then decide if you can manage. There are hundreds (possibly) thousands of people looking for jobs, and many many ex-pats who offer pool cleaning services, gardening, house maintenance, painting, plumbing etc. etc.

It really depends on what work you plan to do workwise. Wages are relatively low here and COL is not so low.

Nic`s Right, but GO FOR IT. I was in Paphos for 2 years and earned not much at all really, life was far from extravagant but it didn`t matter, I had good food and sunshine, and explored the Island, that was all I needed. COL is fairly shit it has to be said, and it is an acquired skill to live cheaply, but look hard enough and you can get most things cheaper than on the beaten track. One life my dear, live it

Tim
Old Jun 8th 2010, 5:26 pm
Just Joined

Thumbs up Re: HELP! cannot afford to move and not work

Thankyou for the positive feedback and yes, I am going for it because I can't see it being worse than in england and if I don't I will always think 'what if . . . .?' and the only things I regret in life are things I was not brave enough to do so thanx again and see ya in october
Old Jun 8th 2010, 5:31 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by 7immyboy
Nic`s Right, but GO FOR IT. I was in Paphos for 2 years and earned not much at all really, life was far from extravagant but it didn`t matter, I had good food and sunshine, and explored the Island, that was all I needed. COL is fairly shit it has to be said, and it is an acquired skill to live cheaply, but look hard enough and you can get most things cheaper than on the beaten track. One life my dear, live it

Tim
I'm new to this so I did reply but not sure if it came to you as it's appeared on it's own so I'll say THANKYOU again and it starts with a thankyou if you can see it
Old Jun 8th 2010, 6:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Veronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nic1

It should be noted that people who offer their services doing pool maintenance etc etc are now being hunted down by the social insurance department and the taxman if they are not registered and paying their dues.
In the past it has been relatively easy for ex pats to make money by working for cash in property maintenance but not any more. The government have realised belatedly that there is an enormous amount of money being lost by the government due to illegal working and they are clamping down.
Anyone who plans to work for under the counter cash should be aware that if caught they risk being deported even if they own a property here.
Old Jul 14th 2010, 4:22 am
Just Joined

ben_boy is just really niceben_boy is just really niceben_boy is just really niceben_boy is just really niceben_boy is just really niceben_boy is just really niceben_boy is just really niceben_boy is just really nice

I worked out there as a Nurse years ago, the money was very poor but back then the COS was not bad and if you lived the Cypriot lifestyle you could easily manage; I had a great 14 months.

After early retirement (medical grounds) last year I intended to move to Paphos full time but after a holiday there I've changed my mind. Yes, living there ain't cheap anymore but its not cheap anywhere in Europe these days so I've decided to live in different places and countries in rented accommodation for a few months of each year.

If you live like a 'local' in any country your costs will be lots lower than the ex pat who expects to eat out seven days a week. Unless you have a specific skill thats in demand I'd not move unless you have some sort of financial back up such as a pension or hard cash in the bank. Loose your job in the UK and you can go and claim benefit but I'm not sure how easy that would be in Cyprus or Spain for instance or how long you would be without money to live on. I'm not being negative about your proposed move but please put on your 'clear thinking' cap before you get on the plane.

Ben.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 9:39 am
Forum Regular

britishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond repute

So any ideas where would be cheap to rent and live but still with coastal walks - obviously not the main tourist resorts.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 5:15 pm
Just Joined

Talking Re: HELP! cannot afford to move and not work

Sorry can't help you as am not over there till October and don't know the island that well. I am staying at friends' and they are flat hunting for me - will be in Paphos or Limassol area but, when I get settled and know more I will tell you what I find out. are you living there already or moving over at some point?
Old Jul 19th 2010, 5:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by britishbull
So any ideas where would be cheap to rent and live but still with coastal walks - obviously not the main tourist resorts.
Which area are you going to be in?
I can suggest areas in the Paphos district but can'thelp in other areas.
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

britishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I did a short trip to Larnaca which was not really to my taste. I am open to anywhere along the coast but want to dodge the more obvious tourist centres as I think they will be too expensive to rent. Is there anywhere left in Paphos that has not been overrun on the coast?
Old Jul 28th 2010, 9:33 pm
Just Joined

Lefkosia is an unknown quantity at this point

It will be difficult for you although not impossible. On the coast, in the tourist areas, your opportunities are likely to be limited to seasonal work (bar/restaurant work or touting timeshares). Limassol might be a better bet as it has work in sectors other than tourism - shipping, finance, offshore companies, etc. I would try and line up something before you come as the job market is very difficult at the moment.

If you can stand the thought of commuting, you could live on the coast and try to find work in Nicosia. We have several people in my company that live in either Larnaca or Limassol and commute in every day (takes about 45-60 minutes). Even then, the job market is tight and you have to have some sort of skill or experience that will set you apart. There's a lot of Cypriots being laid off, many of them with degrees and post graduate qualifications from English and American Universities, so just being able to speak English isn't the head start in this country that it can be elsewhere.

I don't want to paint a picture of doom and gloom - Cyprus is no worse than anywhere else in Europe at the moment - but I don't want to sugar coat it either. If you really have to work to afford to live here it isn't going to be easy. Wages are no where near the level of the UK and there's a lot of competition for jobs. For manual and seasonal work, there's a lot of East Europeans who will work for a lot less than you might accept. For more skilled work, you are competing against Cypriots who will have an advantage and a support network if things go wrong. It isn't impossible, but I would urge you to have something lined up before you come. The last thing you want is to find yourself heading back to the UK with your savings drained and your retirement plans in tatters because you couldn't find work.

It really depends on what expertise you have - if it's something that can be readily marketed, or is missing locally then you shouldn't have a problem.