Expts leaving

Old Jul 15th 2009, 11:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

zygiman will become famous soon enough
Default Expts leaving

Hello there,i was wondering if the steady flow of expats returning to the UK has turned into a flood.I would still choose Cyprus over the UK,albeit with all the current problems in Cyprus.

The situation in the UK concerning all the scandals with the bank bonuses,the MP's expenses,the BBC salaries and the increase in taxation do not paint a very exciting prospect for returning,unless you have to.
Old Jul 28th 2009, 12:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Honest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Expts leaving

Originally Posted by zygiman
Hello there,i was wondering if the steady flow of expats returning to the UK has turned into a flood.I would still choose Cyprus over the UK,albeit with all the current problems in Cyprus.

The situation in the UK concerning all the scandals with the bank bonuses,the MP's expenses,the BBC salaries and the increase in taxation do not paint a very exciting prospect for returning,unless you have to.
I know of at least 6 families that have left to go back to the UK in the last 2 months. We'll be following as soon as the job market is back to normal.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 5:57 am
Just Joined

counting_our_blessings is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi I know this is an old thread but I'm just wondering if you moved back to NI honestH? Only asking cos I think we will too and would like to know how you found it on return. thanks
Old Mar 15th 2011, 6:32 am
BE Enthusiast

There seems to be a lot of people still leaving Cyprus, but there are still a lot of people coming to Cyprus, nice to see!
Old Mar 15th 2011, 8:56 am
Just Joined

dorsetfam is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by zygiman
There seems to be a lot of people still leaving Cyprus, but there are still a lot of people coming to Cyprus, nice to see!
I recently heard from a removal agent - they brought more people over in 2010 (from UK) then went back, and in 2011 they have already brought back some clients who used them to move away previously and who've now found out teh grass isn't greener back in the UK.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 9:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dorsetfam
I recently heard from a removal agent - they brought more people over in 2010 (from UK) then went back, and in 2011 they have already brought back some clients who used them to move away previously and who've now found out teh grass isn't greener back in the UK.
I can believe that. The UK is not a nice place to go back to at the moment. Cyprus with all it's faults is still far better, for us anyway.
Old Apr 11th 2011, 1:41 am
Just Joined

Cleo-Shahateet is an unknown quantity at this point

As you probably know, there are many Russians coming in now too. There was an article about it in the Cyprus Mail yesterday. And many of the UK citizens that are our customers are moving over from UAE and other Arab countries.
Old Apr 11th 2011, 3:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Veronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond repute

Yes most of our British clients lately have been existing expats who are living and working in the Middle east or other countries such as Nigeria etc.
Very few coming directly from the UK, although the enquiries from there are suddenly picking up again.
Old Apr 26th 2011, 9:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Nice to see the Expats that are relocating to Cyprus are doing their research, using this forum for instance, so hopefully, Cyprus will attract the Expats that at least know what they are letting themselves in for. Seems that it was not a just balance before, when perhaps many people from the UK came to Cyprus, who maybe did not do enough research, or if any at all.
Old Apr 30th 2011, 7:34 am
Just Joined

outasite is just really niceoutasite is just really niceoutasite is just really niceoutasite is just really niceoutasite is just really niceoutasite is just really niceoutasite is just really niceoutasite is just really nice

We are selling and returning back to Blighty. When I say selling, because of the downturn in the market and the continuing saga of the corruption and outright criminal activities of many developers/lawyers in Cyprus we are having a hard time selling our house, even though we have the title deeds in our name in our safe.
So we don't expect to return any time soon. We are in our 8th year here and still cannot fathom out the mindset of these people. They have 130,000 outstanding Title Deeds and many many of these have been falsely entered by developers and the Land Registry turns a blind eye to all the corruption even when developers sell the same house TWICE and put the original buyer (who is rightly a tad peeved) into intensive care in hospital then gets 10 months suspended by a judge who deems that the buyer's evidence is not to enough.
Soooo basically we've had enough.
I am not of Government pensionable age yet although my criteria(paying in for well over the 30 year ceiling) has been reached and I do not expect to get a job back there, unless it is stacking shelves. I aim to buy my house there outright and then throw myself on the welfare scrapheap, and why not? Paid in a shed load and only ever got 6 weeks dole before that was stopped for whatever reason.
But, it is home and Cyprus never will be.
Old Apr 30th 2011, 8:21 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by outasite
We are selling and returning back to Blighty. When I say selling, because of the downturn in the market and the continuing saga of the corruption and outright criminal activities of many developers/lawyers in Cyprus we are having a hard time selling our house, even though we have the title deeds in our name in our safe.
So we don't expect to return any time soon. We are in our 8th year here and still cannot fathom out the mindset of these people. They have 130,000 outstanding Title Deeds and many many of these have been falsely entered by developers and the Land Registry turns a blind eye to all the corruption even when developers sell the same house TWICE and put the original buyer (who is rightly a tad peeved) into intensive care in hospital then gets 10 months suspended by a judge who deems that the buyer's evidence is not to enough.
I am not of Government pensionable age yet although my criteria(paying in for well over the 30 year ceiling) has been reached and I do not expect to get a job back there, unless it is stacking shelves. I aim to buy my house there outright and then throw myself on the welfare scrapheap, and why not? Paid in a shed load and only ever got 6 weeks dole before that was stopped for whatever reason.
Thats a frightening insight ...... Sorry to hear you are having to move on. Unfortunately a similar picture could be painted in Spain, although they are slowly getting to grips with it.
Old Apr 30th 2011, 9:03 am
Just Joined

outasite is just really niceoutasite is just really niceoutasite is just really niceoutasite is just really niceoutasite is just really niceoutasite is just really niceoutasite is just really niceoutasite is just really nice

The silliest thing is, if the Cypriot government were to fast-track the issuing of the outstanding deeds than they could raise somewhere in the region of 512 MILLION euros in taxes. But for some reason that simple solution escapes them.
Don't get me wrong, Cyprus has been pretty good to us, with the great social life and new lifelong friends we have gotten on the way, but the time is now up for us and the pull is getting stronger. This country has some great people but IMHO they don't much like the British and their friendship is only skin deep.
I know this sounds like a nasty amount of comment about Cyprus and I am fully aware that the "This is Cyprus, live with it or leave" syndrome is alive and well, and on the whole we do try to adjust but 50+ years in one environment doesn't get undone even if you try your hardest.
I don't want to shuck this mortal coil here, I don't want to fall ill here, I don't want to have anything happen that involves an ambulance etc etc etc.
Besides we are missing the new additions to the family and don't want them growing up without really knowing us. Besides grandkids are the grandparents revenge on their own kids and we want the revenge warm.
Old Apr 30th 2011, 12:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Do let us know how you fare. Hope the house sells sooner. Was in Cyprus for the first time myself last year. Liked it but not enough to remain.
Old Apr 30th 2011, 12:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Veronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond repute

we are having a hard time selling our house, even though we have the title deeds in our name in our safe.
If you have the full title deeds and you pitch the house at a reasonable pirce you should be able to sell.
Don't rely on just one agent, give it to as many as you can and also advertise it yourself on free to advertise portals and forums etc.
With full title deeds banks will give mortgages so you are not dependant on a cash buyer which puts you at a big advantage against those who have no deeds.

Personally after 7 years here I still love it depsite the fact that it has its problems. But nowhere is perfect, least of all the Uk.
Also a lot depends on the area you live in. Which area are you in?
Old Apr 30th 2011, 1:30 pm
Just Joined

Hi
We are in Paphos and have done all you suggest. It's just slow for us as we are in a totally Cypriot neighbourhood, have no pool so Brits would not be too interested. We have had quite a few viewings both thru agents and our sign at the house but nothing so far.
As I said although we want to go back, to be honest we are not in toooo much of a hurry, just our plans rely on being able to purchase outright in the UK. so so long as the prices stay down over there not to much of a problem.
Still at least we'll be able to sweat it out any day now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.