Reload this Page >

Cyprus Bailout Update

Cyprus Bailout Update

Old May 12th 2013, 11:40 am
BE Enthusiast

zygiman will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Cyprus Bailout Update

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
Actually, Cayman is doing quite a good job in fending off excessive disclosure - mainly because we have a lot of heavy hitters who use our facilities. It's generally presumed that many Western politicians receive their bribes in Cayman, paid by the Cayman subsidiaries of the corporate bribe-payers. Sad but true.

What is more dangerous to us (and everybody else in the world!) is the apparently well organised program of a) theft of customers' balances by hitherto reputable banks, and b) confiscation of customers' assets held in segregated accounts.

I've just posted some relevant comments on my blog ("Unsafe custody") which give an overview of my concerns.
I read somewhere that the Cayman Islands are home to something like one million companies, is this correct?
Old May 12th 2013, 2:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zygiman
I read somewhere that the Cayman Islands are home to something like one million companies, is this correct?
No, nothing like! I've never read a figure higher than 60,000, though that could be a bit higher by now, with all the hedge funds' clients. If we had a million companies all paying fees, our government finances wouldn't be in the bloody mess they are in. (Although, one should never underestimate the ability of Civil Servants and politicians to over-spend, I guess...)
Old May 13th 2013, 3:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cyprus received €2 Billion Euros today and will receive another €1 Billion Euros by the end of June.
Old May 14th 2013, 6:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

No, nothing like! I've never read a figure higher than 60,000, though that could be a bit higher by now, with all the hedge funds' clients. If we had a million companies all paying fees, our government finances wouldn't be in the bloody mess they are in. (Although, one should never underestimate the ability of Civil Servants and politicians to over-spend, I guess...)
If you count SPV's as companies, I suspect that the figure is well above 60,000. Citigroup had over 500 SPV's at one time registered in the Cayman Islands.
Old May 17th 2013, 7:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Deloitte's money laundering report shows large lack of due diligence by Cyprus banks. Majority of clients came from introducers, who carried out due diligence. The beneficial owners of companies were sometimes three times removed from the banks.
Old May 18th 2013, 8:32 am
BE Enthusiast

More banks are relived of capital restrictions, these are Bank of Beirut SAL, Banque BEMO SAL Banque SBA, Barclays Bank PLC, BBAC SAL, BLOM Bank SAL, Credit Libanais SAL, Jordan Ahli Bank plc, Lebanon and Gulf Bank SAL, OJSC Promsvyazbank Privatbank Commercial Bank and Russian Commercial Bank (Cyprus) Ltd.
Old May 20th 2013, 7:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Actually, Cayman is doing quite a good job in fending off excessive disclosure - mainly because we have a lot of heavy hitters who use our facilities. It's generally presumed that many Western politicians receive their bribes in Cayman, paid by the Cayman subsidiaries of the corporate bribe-payers. Sad but true.

What is more dangerous to us (and everybody else in the world!) is the apparently well organised program of a) theft of customers' balances by hitherto reputable banks, and b) confiscation of customers' assets held in segregated accounts.

I've just posted some relevant comments on my blog ("Unsafe custody") which give an overview of my concerns.
The Cayman Islands will start to feel the heat. Interesting article from the BBC http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-22592662
Old May 20th 2013, 3:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

The Cayman Islands will start to feel the heat. Interesting article from the BBC http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-22592662
I've just posted this in the Cayman Islands thread, in reply to someone who asked if Cameron's threat signals the end of the Offshore tax havens: It might do, if he meant it. The solution to international tax avoidance by UK companies is to change the UK tax laws by removing the loopholes. Ain't gonna happen! A blog-post of mine in January this year explains that everything that Offshore havens do is done with the consent of governments like Mr Cameron's.

That says it all, pretty much.
Old May 24th 2013, 8:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Two more banks are exempted form Cyprus capital controls.

They are Arab Jordan Investment Bank SA and Byblos Bank SAL.

After the fourth decree on foreign banks the foreign credit institutions exempted from capital restrictions is increased to 14.
Old May 28th 2013, 9:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Cyprus Land Registry employees working extra hours and on Saturdays without pay to reassess property values as part of bailout deal. New assessments must be completed by June 2014. They must also issue overdue title deeds for 60,000 units.
Old Jun 5th 2013, 12:00 pm
Banned

Worldlywanderer is an unknown quantity at this point

Cyprus Land Registry employees working extra hours and on Saturdays without pay to reassess property values as part of bailout deal. New assessments must be completed by June 2014. They must also issue overdue title deeds for 60,000 units.
Sounds like a good reason to avoid buying a house until the vaaluation is complete as it ight just include a few nasty surprises!
Old Jun 7th 2013, 9:02 am
Just Joined

jessyt is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't want to state the obvious, but Cyprus Land Registry it's a joke.
Where else you need to way 5 years for a title deed of your house?
Old Jun 7th 2013, 9:26 am
Banned

Worldlywanderer is an unknown quantity at this point

Turkey
Old Jun 7th 2013, 6:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jessyt
I don't want to state the obvious, but Cyprus Land Registry it's a joke.
Where else you need to way 5 years for a title deed of your house?
Well it can actually take longer, if they are clean title deeds too. That is down to the slow administration.
Old Jun 22nd 2013, 6:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Cyprus lifts capital restrictions on residents of Cyprus with accounts in foreign banks who had accounts before restrictions came into force

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.