What is the situation of my brazilian born daughters?

Old Jul 5th 2012, 11:48 pm
Just Joined

vitalspark is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What is the situation of my brazilian born daughters?

I was born in the UK to British nationals. However in my twenties I moved to Brazil.

I married in Brazil and had 4 daughters by my Brazilian wife, all born in Brazil.

Now divorced I returned to the UK last year with my three youngest daughters aged 13, 15, and 18 (next week). They live with me and go to school in the UK.

They travelled to the UK on Brazilian passports.

The eldest already has a National Insurance no.

I would like to know the situation as regards my daughters British citizenship and their eligability for a British passport. Particularly as regards the eldest who wishes to apply to UK universities next year.

Thanks in advance for all replies.

John
Old Jul 6th 2012, 2:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is the situation of my brazilian born daughters?

I am not sure what the connection to Australian visas is here?

Perhaps ask a mod to move your post to moving back to the UK forum?

I am a Brit that moved to Australia and know a fair bit about the Australian immigration system but nothing at all about the British one and I suspect others are the same (unless JAJ sees your post).
Old Jul 6th 2012, 3:05 am

Location: "What I did, I did without choice. In the name of peace and sanity."
mrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vitalspark
I was born in the UK to British nationals. However in my twenties I moved to Brazil.

I married in Brazil and had 4 daughters by my Brazilian wife, all born in Brazil.

Now divorced I returned to the UK last year with my three youngest daughters aged 13, 15, and 18 (next week). They live with me and go to school in the UK.

They travelled to the UK on Brazilian passports.

The eldest already has a National Insurance no.

I would like to know the situation as regards my daughters British citizenship and their eligability for a British passport. Particularly as regards the eldest who wishes to apply to UK universities next year.

Thanks in advance for all replies.

John
Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I am not sure what the connection to Australian visas is here?

Perhaps ask a mod to move your post to moving back to the UK forum?

I am a Brit that moved to Australia and know a fair bit about the Australian immigration system but nothing at all about the British one and I suspect others are the same (unless JAJ sees your post).
I've moved it to the MBTTUK forum. Hopefully someone will be along soon that can help.
Old Jul 6th 2012, 3:26 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

They are Brit citizens, by descent. Just get them their passports and that's it.

They won't be able to pass on UK citizenship on to their children automatically unless when they have kids themselves, that those kids be born in the UK.

The fact that they entered the UK via a foreign passport does complicate things, because the foreign passport presumably didn't have right of abode type visa, meaning they aren't eligible for things like the NHS till you get their status squared away.

Also, to get UK uni rates and more importantly be eligible for student loans, they need to have been resident of the EU for 3 years prior to enrolling in university.

It might well and probably is, cheaper to study else where in the EU, many decent universities in France, Germany, Netherlands etc are offering courses in English.
Old Jul 6th 2012, 10:48 pm
Just Joined

vitalspark is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Bob!
Old Jul 7th 2012, 8:17 am
Back from India

pennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to behold

Not that is any of my business but you might want to suggest to your eldest who I assume is in Brazil that she too gets her passport now. So at least her status is clear and that if she ever wanted to come it would be easy.