Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Want to move to the UK from the US, Mother is a UK Citizen

Wikiposts

Want to move to the UK from the US, Mother is a UK Citizen

Old Dec 13th 2013, 2:12 am
Just Joined

Purple Ferret is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Want to move to the UK from the US, Mother is a UK Citizen

Originally Posted by BritInParis
If you were born after 1983 to a British-born mother overseas then you have been a British citizen by descent from birth. As others have said all you need to do is make an application for a British passport.

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

You'll need your mother's full British birth certificate. A certified copy is available from the General Register Office in the UK for a nominal fee. You can order this yourself at their website.

http://www.gro.gov.uk/

Providing your mother's maiden name appears on your US birth certificate you shouldn't require any further documentation apart from your 'long form' US birth certificate containing the details of your parents including their places of birth. You don't need a photo of your mother if you are applying for the passport, just yours.
On my certificate I assume an original copy suffices, I don't want the physical original itself to get lost.

I had no idea I could order a copy of hers without actually having to request it in person with her. This helps tons.
Old Dec 13th 2013, 10:15 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Purple Ferret
On my certificate I assume an original copy suffices, I don't want the physical original itself to get lost.
I'm not sure what you mean by an 'original copy' but you won't be able to submit any kind of photocopy. It will have to be an original certificate as issued by the relevant official body.

I had no idea I could order a copy of hers without actually having to request it in person with her. This helps tons.
In the UK records of birth, deaths and marriages are a matter of public record and available for anyone to order.
Old Dec 20th 2013, 6:38 am
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

I did not however find out about the citizenship by descent until I was over 18 years old, by which case I assume I can no longer register in those regards.

If you qualify for citizenship through your mother you will remain eligible no matter what your age. My parents are British (Scottish) but I was born in Canada. I didn't apply for my British passport until I was in graduate school and it arrived without any problems (well they did misspell my middle name but that is another issue altogether).

Would I be able to apply for right of abode at least?
You qualify for that but why not just get a full passport?

So the fact that I am over 18, nor did I register my birth with the UK Consulate/etc doesnt matter at all?
Doesn't matter in the least.

The only concern I have is my mom probably has her birth certificate in the UK with her, whereas mine is over here in the USA.
Put your package together, send it to your Mum, have her pop her birth certificate into the package, and then she can mail it off for you.

Do I have to provide the originals, or would a full color photocopy work?

Originals.

I needed my long form Ontario birth certificate. When I received it the thing was in my mother's handwriting...Ontario's version of a long form birth certificate is the birth registration form that the parent fills out in the hospital!

Last edited by colchar; Dec 20th 2013 at 6:51 am.
Old Dec 20th 2013, 7:54 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by colchar
If you qualify for citizenship through your mother you will remain eligible no matter what your age. My parents are British (Scottish) but I was born in Canada. I didn't apply for my British passport until I was in graduate school and it arrived without any problems (well they did misspell my middle name but that is another issue altogether).

You qualify for that but why not just get a full passport?

Doesn't matter in the least.

Put your package together, send it to your Mum, have her pop her birth certificate into the package, and then she can mail it off for you.

Originals.

I needed my long form Ontario birth certificate. When I received it the thing was in my mother's handwriting...Ontario's version of a long form birth certificate is the birth registration form that the parent fills out in the hospital!
Alternatively could I obtain it if I visited her or went over first. Things are getting pretty bad where I am and if I can go this route this would be convineint.
Old Dec 20th 2013, 8:07 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Alternatively could I obtain it if I visited her or went over first. Things are getting pretty bad where I am and if I can go this route this would be convineint.
Just order a copy of your mother's birth certificate from the GRO.
Old Dec 20th 2013, 12:56 pm
Just Joined

Just order a copy of your mother's birth certificate from the GRO.
Done, it kinda helps when shes the only one with her name combination in Rochdale in its entire existance.

Also, I am not sure Walgreens does UK sized passport photos anymore in the USA. If this is the case, what shall I do?
Old Dec 21st 2013, 3:09 am

Done, it kinda helps when shes the only one with her name combination in Rochdale in its entire existance.
That always helps. If she was Jane Smith you might've struggled.

Also, I am not sure Walgreens does UK sized passport photos anymore in the USA. If this is the case, what shall I do?
I can't advise from my own experience but other BE posters have been able to get UK sized photos at Walgreen's recently. It has been the case that the shop assistant isn't aware that it's a service they offer so it's worth getting a second opinion and/or speaking to the supervisor.

The photo requirements are quite strict so you'll need to comply with them in order to get your passport.
Old Dec 21st 2013, 4:17 am
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

If you are talking about citizenship you do not need to obtain it as you are a British citizen. Just apply for the passport as they are very quick and you'll have it in a couple of weeks (after all documentation is submitted). It is easier, and cheaper, to fill out all of the paperwork, send it to your mum to have her include her birth certificate, have her forward the package through the mail, and you'll have the passport within a couple of weeks. And remember, you will need the passport photos signed so it is easier to do that where you already live.
Old Dec 21st 2013, 4:18 am
BE Forum Addict

I can't advise from my own experience but other BE posters have been able to get UK sized photos at Walgreen's recently. It has been the case that the shop assistant isn't aware that it's a service they offer so it's worth getting a second opinion and/or speaking to the supervisor.

The photo requirements are quite strict so you'll need to comply with them in order to get your passport.

I got mine done at Walmart (here in Canada) and there was no problem.
Old Dec 21st 2013, 11:35 am
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

As others have indicated, you will probably have to prove that you were your mother's "live birth" as contrasted with adopted. Because American birth certificates can be changed and reissued after adoption.

One way is if YOUR birth certificate is an old "original" issued when you were less than six months old.
Another way is if you can obtain and provide photocopies of hospital or midwife records of your birth.
There are other (more obscure) ways if neither of those is possible..