Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Want to move to the UK from the US, Mother is a UK Citizen

Wikiposts

Want to move to the UK from the US, Mother is a UK Citizen

Old Dec 11th 2013, 7:25 am
Just Joined

Purple Ferret is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Want to move to the UK from the US, Mother is a UK Citizen

I have a couple concerns regarding moving to the UK, I am planning to do so because the economy of america is...well its terrible lets leave it at that, I also like it alot over there.

My mother when I was born was a UK citizen, my father a US Citizen.

I did not however find out about the citizenship by descent until I was over 18 years old, by which case I assume I can no longer register in those regards. I do not want to stay in the US, and I do want to be able to live and work in the UK. My mom lives in the UK and has retained her UK citizenship all her life.

How can I still move over there and obtain employment? I haven't been able to get straight answers from the embassy, consulates, or homeoffice.gov and its really frustrating me.

Would I be able to apply for right of abode at least? How can I still reside and live over there despite being past the date which I could claim descent citizenship (I am 25), or is it still possible for me to do so. I was born on 03/21/1988.

I forgot to mention I currently hold a US Passport.

Last edited by Purple Ferret; Dec 11th 2013 at 8:48 am.
Old Dec 11th 2013, 8:44 am
BE Enthusiast

ElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really nice
Default Re: Want to move to the UK from the US, Mother is a UK Citizen

I'm not sure how you'd go about it, but in a similar vein- I became a US citizen (I was born in UK) when our son was under 18.
When my son realized he'd also become a US citizen by descent, he was living in UK.
He was able to get the US passport without going through the normal channels of the citizenship test and interviews etc. I think he simply applied for the US passport and then had to send proof of my citizenship in order to prove he was still a minor when I became a citizen.

All of this he did without stepping foot in the USA.

Maybe try applying for a UK passport first and take it from there?

Sorry, I forgot to say that he was 21 when he did all of the above

Last edited by ElizabethK; Dec 11th 2013 at 8:45 am. Reason: Added a bit more
Old Dec 11th 2013, 8:49 am
Just Joined

I could try that yes, I was hoping to not have to potentially spend money and have it rejected, but since my job pays well I suppose I could try this in early 2015.

If anyone knows for sure though, that would be reassuring.

Also the visa4uk site on the british embassy always seems to be broken. Salt Lake City doesnt have a british embassy anymore iirc. Not that anything can be done about that.

If this is the case and I am still eligible, what forms do I need to prove my Mothers UK citizenship, among any other form?

Last edited by Purple Ferret; Dec 11th 2013 at 8:57 am.
Old Dec 11th 2013, 8:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Presuming that your mother was born in the UK and/or holds a British passport, was married to your father and then gave birth to YOU in the US, YOU are British by descent (i.e born overseas of a British person).

You can apply for a British passport. You will need your birth certificate, and that of your parents.

If the above presumed details are not correct then provide more details.
Old Dec 11th 2013, 9:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

I applied for my daughter's passport as British by descent. I am British, she was born in the US in 1992. I provided my passport and my birth certificate. She received the passport in less than 10 days. Don't think you should have any problem. Here's the link. Good luck!

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports
Old Dec 11th 2013, 9:08 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Presuming that your mother was born in the UK and/or holds a British passport, was married to your father and then gave birth to YOU in the US, YOU are British by descent (i.e born overseas of a British person).

You can apply for a British passport. You will need your birth certificate, and that of your parents.

If the above presumed details are not correct then provide more details.
So the fact that I am over 18, nor did I register my birth with the UK Consulate/etc doesnt matter at all? My mom us UK born.

I was just confused because alot of places say you cant make this claim to citizenship after you are older than 18, if this is not the case I should be fine. My mom was married to my dad at the time, they have since divorced as of 4 years ago but from what I gather this has no bearing.

The only concern I have is my mom probably has her birth certificate in the UK with her, whereas mine is over here in the USA.

Do I have to provide the originals, or would a full color photocopy work?
Old Dec 11th 2013, 9:13 am
BE Enthusiast

ElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really nice

I think I had to give him the originals but I can't remember now. I also had to give him my US citizenship certificate to send off. Of course it may not be the same requirements when applying for a UK passport, but if you can afford to apply, give it a go and you may be pleasantly surprised
Old Dec 11th 2013, 9:18 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ElizabethK
I think I had to give him the originals but I can't remember now. I also had to give him my US citizenship certificate to send off. Of course it may not be the same requirements when applying for a UK passport, but if you can afford to apply, give it a go and you may be pleasantly surprised
Sounds good, I will look through the guides on that passport site you posted. Also do I need to have the job before or after I arrive there, I should have near 52KUSD/42kGBP by this time so I think all will be well if I need to get it after. I'm not a deadbeat.
Old Dec 11th 2013, 11:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Purple Ferret
So the fact that I am over 18, nor did I register my birth with the UK Consulate/etc doesnt matter at all? My mom us UK born.

I was just confused because alot of places say you cant make this claim to citizenship after you are older than 18, if this is not the case I should be fine. My mom was married to my dad at the time, they have since divorced as of 4 years ago but from what I gather this has no bearing.

The only concern I have is my mom probably has her birth certificate in the UK with her, whereas mine is over here in the USA.

What you are reading with regard being 18 and older does not apply to British by descent applicants. You can apply at any age for your British passport.

Check out what to send with the application here

Once you have the passport you can enter the UK and start work immediately.
Old Dec 11th 2013, 12:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
What you are reading with regard being 18 and older does not apply to British by descent applicants. You can apply at any age for your British passport.

Check out what to send with the application here

Once you have the passport you can enter the UK and start work immediately.
Sweet, thanks for your help with this.

Its ammusing how a community forum is more helpful than the government resources themselves....ohwait.

But in any case, thanks tons
Old Dec 11th 2013, 10:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

englishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Purple Ferret

The age limit is only relevant for cases wher citizenship is by registration and not automatic. First generation citizens by descent (born in wedlock to citizens otherwise than by descent) are automatically british citizens from birth and no registration is needed. If that's your case then you've been a citizen all your life without knowing it.

You will need a long version original of your mother's birth certificate to prove that she was born in the UK. You can get that from the registry office for about a tenner (google "UK birth certificate GRO").
The US Birth Certificate is a little more tricky and needs to be dated close to the time of your birth as US adoptive parents can have new birth ceritificates reissued with their names on it - birth parents are important for automatic citizenship by descent, getting it via adoption is optional and needs registration (before the age of 18).
Old Dec 12th 2013, 2:41 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by englishguygoinghome
The age limit is only relevant for cases wher citizenship is by registration and not automatic. First generation citizens by descent (born in wedlock to citizens otherwise than by descent) are automatically british citizens from birth and no registration is needed. If that's your case then you've been a citizen all your life without knowing it.

You will need a long version original of your mother's birth certificate to prove that she was born in the UK. You can get that from the registry office for about a tenner (google "UK birth certificate GRO").
The US Birth Certificate is a little more tricky and needs to be dated close to the time of your birth as US adoptive parents can have new birth ceritificates reissued with their names on it - birth parents are important for automatic citizenship by descent, getting it via adoption is optional and needs registration (before the age of 18).
Would it matter if my mom changed her name, after she divorced she went back to her maiden name?
Old Dec 12th 2013, 3:39 am
BE Enthusiast

englishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond repute

You will need proof that the person on your Mum's the birth certificate is the same person as on yours. (So if she chnged her name before you were born and has a married name but no maiden name on the birth cert you'll need a marriage cert for example)
Old Dec 12th 2013, 5:20 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by englishguygoinghome
You will need proof that the person on your Mum's the birth certificate is the same person as on yours. (So if she chnged her name before you were born and has a married name but no maiden name on the birth cert you'll need a marriage cert for example)
She changed it to my current last name when she married my father, and changed it back after she was divorced. I think her maiden name is on my birth certificate.

Do I need to include a picture of her or not with this?
Old Dec 12th 2013, 11:29 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

If you were born after 1983 to a British-born mother overseas then you have been a British citizen by descent from birth. As others have said all you need to do is make an application for a British passport.

You'll need your mother's full British birth certificate. A certified copy is available from the General Register Office in the UK for a nominal fee. You can order this yourself at their website.

http://www.gro.gov.uk/

Providing your mother's maiden name appears on your US birth certificate you shouldn't require any further documentation apart from your 'long form' US birth certificate containing the details of your parents including their places of birth. You don't need a photo of your mother if you are applying for the passport, just yours.

Last edited by BritInParis; Dec 12th 2013 at 11:31 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.