Visitor visa or family visitor visa

Old Jan 13th 2015, 8:21 am
Just Joined

lupo29 has a spectacular aura aboutlupo29 has a spectacular aura aboutlupo29 has a spectacular aura about
Default Visitor visa or family visitor visa

Hi Everyone,

I have recently moved back to the UK from Canada. My Wife is Canadian and my 2 kids have UK and Canadian passports. I came back April 2014 my wife came over as visitor in the May (I flew over to get her as both our kids are little.) I had hoped to obtain a job to earn the £18600 while she was here visiting so she wouldn't be back in Canada that long while the visa was being processed. As it turned out I just got a job which meets the requirement this month. So I realise that we will have to wait till the summer to submit the spousal visa application. My question ( Believe it or not there is a question coming!!) They have been in Canada since end of October. My Mother-in-law has kindly said she would pay for them to visit in April and return back to Canada end of June. Do we need a family visitor visa or can she simply come over as a Canadian and just get stamped as visitor? Want to make sure she does not get turned away. We have not applied for spousal visa yet obviously, so just wondered how we can do this?

Thanks for any help
Old Jan 13th 2015, 6:52 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visitor visa or family visitor visa

Originally Posted by lupo29
Hi Everyone,

I have recently moved back to the UK from Canada. My Wife is Canadian and my 2 kids have UK and Canadian passports. I came back April 2014 my wife came over as visitor in the May (I flew over to get her as both our kids are little.) I had hoped to obtain a job to earn the £18600 while she was here visiting so she wouldn't be back in Canada that long while the visa was being processed. As it turned out I just got a job which meets the requirement this month. So I realise that we will have to wait till the summer to submit the spousal visa application. My question ( Believe it or not there is a question coming!!) They have been in Canada since end of October. My Mother-in-law has kindly said she would pay for them to visit in April and return back to Canada end of June. Do we need a family visitor visa or can she simply come over as a Canadian and just get stamped as visitor? Want to make sure she does not get turned away. We have not applied for spousal visa yet obviously, so just wondered how we can do this?

Thanks for any help
No, if they hold Canadian passports, they don't need to apply for a visa ahead of time.

https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa/y/canada/tourism

However it would be a good idea to bring evidence of their ties to Canada and their intention to return, e.g. return tickets, a letter from your wife's employer (if she works), tenancy agreements or mortgage statements, etc.. Your wife may not be asked for it but if she carries it in carry-on then it is to hand in case the Home Office wants to see it.
Old Jan 14th 2015, 7:29 am
Just Joined

lupo29 has a spectacular aura aboutlupo29 has a spectacular aura aboutlupo29 has a spectacular aura about

Thank you very much for the help. I figured she wouldn't need a visa in advance. I guess it's just peace of mind when someone else points it out. It's a lot of money wasted if they were to be turned away. Also the fact that they were only here till late October 2014, and will be coming over 5 months later, is that a problem. I was not sure is they needed to be back in there country of origin for a certain time before they can re enter the UK?
Old Jan 14th 2015, 9:29 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lupo29
Thank you very much for the help. I figured she wouldn't need a visa in advance. I guess it's just peace of mind when someone else points it out. It's a lot of money wasted if they were to be turned away. Also the fact that they were only here till late October 2014, and will be coming over 5 months later, is that a problem. I was not sure is they needed to be back in there country of origin for a certain time before they can re enter the UK?
Generally speaking if you trying to spend more than six out of any given twelve month period in the UK as a visitor then this will cause you problems at the border.

No-one can give you a guarantee that they will be admitted but providing they come to the UK as genuine visitors and can provide evidence to support that on request then they should be okay.
Old Jan 18th 2015, 10:53 am
Just Joined

Thank you again for your advice, I greatly appreciate it.