Visit UK for more than 6 months in 12 month period

Old Mar 7th 2019, 5:49 am
Just Joined

KS21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visit UK for more than 6 months in 12 month period

I'm new to this site so I beg your indulgence if this is a silly question or asked on the wrong forum....I am an Australian citizen and my husband is a UK citizen we are both retired and have families in each country. We have been trying to divide our time between Aus and UK but I am having increasing difficulty balancing this due to the "no more than 6 months in any given twelve months rule" that applies to the 6 moths leave to remain stamp that I get each time I arrive in the UK. I never actually stay for a block of six months and depending on what is happening in the families, some years we are more in the UK and some years more in Australia. My question is does anyone have any ideas on which visas could work for me in our situation? The spouse visas only seem appropriate if I want to apply for ILR and places the same restrictions only I can't leave rather than can't stay. Any help/suggestions gratefully received.
Old Mar 7th 2019, 8:11 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visit UK for more than 6 months in 12 month period

What year did you marry? Were you born in Australia?
Old Mar 7th 2019, 8:15 am
Just Joined

We married last year but have been together for 5 years, albeit travelling between my home in Australia, my husband's in the UK and all points in between 😊
Old Mar 7th 2019, 9:26 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

What’s your husband’s immigration status in Australia? Do you have any recent European ancestry?
Old Mar 7th 2019, 10:27 am
Just Joined

My husband doesn't seem to experience the same difficulties coming to Australia, he comes on a twelve month visitor visa. I have a paternal grandfather born in Dublin, unfortunately that's the closest I can get with ancestry, both parents and other grandparents born in Australia.
Old Mar 7th 2019, 10:38 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KS21
My husband doesn't seem to experience the same difficulties coming to Australia, he comes on a twelve month visitor visa. I have a paternal grandfather born in Dublin, unfortunately that's the closest I can get with ancestry, both parents and other grandparents born in Australia.
Then apply for Irish citizenship. Job done.
Old Mar 7th 2019, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Then apply for Irish citizenship. Job done.
Indeed. A pretty much perfect solution.

https://www.dfa.ie/irish-embassy/aus...tration-guide/
Old Mar 7th 2019, 8:49 pm
Just Joined

I have checked on the Irish Dept Foreign Affairs website and it may be very difficult to obtain the necessary documentation, due to family circumstances, to take that option.
Thank you for the suggestion though, if you think anything else please let me know.
Old Mar 8th 2019, 12:03 am

I have checked on the Irish Dept Foreign Affairs website and it may be very difficult to obtain the necessary documentation, due to family circumstances, to take that option.
Thank you for the suggestion though, if you think anything else please let me know.
It’s pretty much your best bet even if it takes a while to gather the documentation.
Old Mar 8th 2019, 5:47 am
Just Joined

I investigated further.. turns out no Irish Grandfather 😒 so back to square one
Old Mar 8th 2019, 6:03 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I investigated further.. turns out no Irish Grandfather 😒 so back to square one
So where was the mysterious grandfather born?
Old Mar 9th 2019, 8:25 am
Just Joined

Seems I'm an Aussie through and through, he was born in Australia
Old Mar 10th 2019, 7:05 pm
Just Joined

JP93 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Re: Visit UK for more than 6 months in 12 month period

I'm new to this site so I beg your indulgence if this is a silly question or asked on the wrong forum....I am an Australian citizen and my husband is a UK citizen we are both retired and have families in each country. We have been trying to divide our time between Aus and UK but I am having increasing difficulty balancing this due to the "no more than 6 months in any given twelve months rule" that applies to the 6 moths leave to remain stamp that I get each time I arrive in the UK. I never actually stay for a block of six months and depending on what is happening in the families, some years we are more in the UK and some years more in Australia. My question is does anyone have any ideas on which visas could work for me in our situation? The spouse visas only seem appropriate if I want to apply for ILR and places the same restrictions only I can't leave rather than can't stay. Any help/suggestions gratefully received.

but is this "no more than 6 months in any given twelve months rule" actually a valid rule? As I've been researching, there's no specific law stating that you cannot come back after your six months expired, at least not for americans (or south american, in my case). I've been trying to find answers for this.

Can anyone help? I'm heading back soon to UK to join my family and my partner, I will be carrying with me a ticket leaving UK and invitation letter. Not even on the official website says something about it, but someone once told me that the officer can think that I'm trying to live in the UK on a tourist visa, and that could be a problem. But if I'll have with me my ticket to go back to my country, would it be a problem? I dunno.
Old Mar 10th 2019, 7:16 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JP93
but is this "no more than 6 months in any given twelve months rule" actually a valid rule? As I've been researching, there's no specific law stating that you cannot come back after your six months expired, at least not for americans (or south american, in my case). I've been trying to find answers for this.
Yes, it's a valid rule. Take any 12-month rolling period, if you spent longer than 182 days in the UK out of a consecutive 365 day period, you overstayed your visit visa, and if caught would be subject to a 10yr ban on entering the UK.

https://www.gov.uk/standard-visitor-visa As you're a non-visa national, you don't require a visa, but the same rules apply.

Can anyone help? I'm heading back soon to UK to join my family and my partner, I will be carrying with me a ticket leaving UK and invitation letter. Not even on the official website says something about it, but someone once told me that the officer can think that I'm trying to live in the UK on a tourist visa, and that could be a problem. But if I'll have with me my ticket to go back to my country, would it be a problem? I dunno.
It'll be down to the discretion of the Immigration Officer, who wiill be able to see your previous visit history.
Old Mar 10th 2019, 7:19 pm
Just Joined

JP93 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee
Yes, it's a valid rule. Take any 12-month rolling period, if you spent longer than 182 days in the UK out of a consecutive 365 day period, you overstayed your visit visa, and if caught would be subject to a 10yr ban on entering the UK.

https://www.gov.uk/standard-visitor-visa As you're a non-visa national, you don't require a visa, but the same rules apply.

It'll be down to the discretion of the Immigration Officer, who wiill be able to see your previous visit history.
Oooooh I see... in the 365 days period...

so it means, I stayed from August 2018 to January 2019, so it means now its only 5 months available in this new 365 days period, is that right?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.