Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Visa for the son of my US Fiancée (Supporting documentation, Custody Etc.)

Visa for the son of my US Fiancée (Supporting documentation, Custody Etc.)

Old Dec 6th 2018, 6:04 pm
Just Joined

Whitbian is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visa for the son of my US Fiancée (Supporting documentation, Custody Etc.)

Hello everyone,

I am wondering if I can pick everyone's brains about a topic we have researched but we are still unclear about.

My US fiancée and her 11 year old son (from her previous marriage) want to come to join me here in the UK and while we are happy about her Visa application process and we do not expect many issues, we are a lot less clear about the dependant Visa for her son. What details we had found for his Visa seems to be unclear about how the paternal rights of his father and his own Human Rights will affect his application and move.

As a summary, they (fiancé and her son) are in Maryland and she has full legal custody and responsibility from the divorce agreement. Everything according to Maryland's laws is OK with their move over here so that's not an issue. The dad has not had any involvement (zero financial contribution of what was agreed at the divorce stage and he also moved state and there has been no contact/visitation for 7+ years)

We have seen that even a letter from the father granting his approval to the move would be deemed as paternal involvement and a negative towards the visa being granted. What ca we do?

So, has anyone had the same experience and what would you recommend we gather as far as evidence/supporting documentation to include in his application?

Thanks!
Old Dec 6th 2018, 8:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa for the son of my US Fiancée (Supporting documentation, Custody Etc.)

Get a court order giving authorisation for the son to move to the UK?
Old Dec 6th 2018, 8:52 pm
Just Joined

Whitbian is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Visa for the son of my US Fiancée (Supporting documentation, Custody Etc.)

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Get a court order giving authorisation for the son to move to the UK?
ok, thanks.
Is this something you had to do?
Old Dec 6th 2018, 9:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Whitbian
ok, thanks.
Is this something you had to do?
Oh no,,,, but other OP's have done so .....
Old Dec 9th 2018, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

bobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Whitbian

We have seen that even a letter from the father granting his approval to the move would be deemed as paternal involvement and a negative towards the visa being granted. What ca we do?

!
Did not think that would be an issue. I have a Court order signed 3 years ago but thought the paternal father sending a letter that he approved would be a backstop. Is this a mistake? Where did you see it could be negative to the application?

Thanks