From the USA to the UK. Questions

Old Jul 21st 2009, 3:25 pm
Just Joined

ianehewitt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default From the USA to the UK. Questions

After almost a decade in the USA it is time to head back to the UK. I'm wondering if anyone hear with similar experiences might be able to give me any advice on the following points:

1. I am married to a US citizen, where do we start the immigration status to bring my wife into the UK? Does that process need to begin before we go home, or after?

2. My wife is pregnant and our child is likely to be born in the USA. Will this make our child a dual-citizen automatically, or do we need to look out for special paperwork?

3. What is the easiest way to physically move? When I moved to the USA I carried everything on my back, now I have a 3-bed house full of belongings...

4. How realistic is it to hope that we can immigrate our 3 cats home with us?

Thanks,
Ian
Old Jul 21st 2009, 3:47 pm
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: From the USA to the UK. Questions

Originally Posted by ianehewitt
After almost a decade in the USA it is time to head back to the UK. I'm wondering if anyone hear with similar experiences might be able to give me any advice on the following points:

1. I am married to a US citizen, where do we start the immigration status to bring my wife into the UK? Does that process need to begin before we go home, or after?

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/howtoap...swivespartners

2. My wife is pregnant and our child is likely to be born in the USA. Will this make our child a dual-citizen automatically, or do we need to look out for special paperwork?

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/br...lity/children/

3. What is the easiest way to physically move? When I moved to the USA I carried everything on my back, now I have a 3-bed house full of belongings...

Hire a removal company - do a search on this site

4. How realistic is it to hope that we can immigrate our 3 cats home with us?

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/

Thanks,
Ian
Your welcome
Old Jul 21st 2009, 3:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

bromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to behold

1. I divorced my husband before leaving so never needed to do this but I think you will need to obtain a settlement visa from the embassy before you leave.

2. Your child if born in the US will automatically be a USC by birth and a UKC by decent. You'll need to contact the embassy to register the birth and before you leave would be my best advise.

3. Sell all your white goods, TV, VCR, DVD player etc as they won't work in the UK. Get international movers in to quote but really if you do not want a large shipping bill then sell all your big items and only take centimental items.

4. PETS programme - you'll need to start the process a few months before you want to leave if you want to take the cats with you.
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 12:39 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

1. Absolutely, before you leave. http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk

2. Your child will be a British citizen by descent if you were born in Britain (not necessarily otherwise). Child will need a British consular birth certificate + British passport + US passport.

You should look at becoming a US citizen before you leave, if you have not already done so.
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 4:26 pm
Just Joined

Thanks to everyone for their replies, this has already been a very helpful forum. I wish I had access to something like this when I moved out here!

Regarding the last comment, I had considered applying for American citizenship before I left the country. I have lived here as a resident alien but have never pursued citizenship. My concerns would be, would it be considered dishonest to apply for citizenship knowing that I am planning to return home? It would certainly help me to keep my options open if I decided to return in the future...

Would my British citizenship be affected by potential American citizenship? Would my child's status be affected?

Thanks again,
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 4:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to everyone for their replies, this has already been a very helpful forum. I wish I had access to something like this when I moved out here!

Regarding the last comment, I had considered applying for American citizenship before I left the country. I have lived here as a resident alien but have never pursued citizenship. My concerns would be, would it be considered dishonest to apply for citizenship knowing that I am planning to return home? It would certainly help me to keep my options open if I decided to return in the future...

Would my British citizenship be affected by potential American citizenship? Would my child's status be affected?

Thanks again,
Getting US citizenship will not harm you in any way, with the possible exception (if you earn loads) of having to pay US taxes and having a to file a US tax return for the rest of your life. The ability to return without having to jump through all the hoops over again far outweighs this. I think as your wife is now pregnant, it is probably more important to get your US citizenship than ever before, should, in years down the line, ( and I'm just hypothesizing here)anything ever go sour and, say your wife moves back to the US with child, without you. An extreme and unlikely reason maybe, but there are many other examples more or less extreme.....and no-one ever knows what circumstances the future may bring. Take the chance now to get citizenship, you won't regret it.
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 5:04 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Regarding the last comment, I had considered applying for American citizenship before I left the country.
That is a very sensible option to take. There are some disadvantages the main one being to fill US tax returns for the rest of your life, but there is still some requirement for someone who has been a LPR to do so as well.

The big advantage to getting citizenship is you can come and go from the US as you please. The reason why I will apply next month.
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 5:30 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

You have to fill out the tax forms but your husband is basically already doing this so it's not a major increase in the paperwork hassle. It gives you a great deal of flexibility if...knock on wood...something happens later and your USC spouse takes the USC child back to the US (I know it's not likely, but it's happened before).

I don't know how much longer it would require you to stay in the states though. At least a few months or so I would think.
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 6:05 pm
Just Joined

artefactfinder is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey there,

I am UK citizen currently living in the USA but in the process of moving back to the UK with my USA husband. If you need to get a UK settlement visa for your spouse I can recommend this forum: http://www.ukresident.com/forums/spo...sas-f2414.html

I am also bringing back my cat via the PETS scheme...you need to get started on that process fairly soon as it takes 6 months. FYI...it is costing us around $975 to ship our cat from Washington DC to Dublin, Ireland on Aer Lingus and then another 250 euros on the Irish side for the appropriate people to pick him up and process his paperwork! Thats not even counting the Vet visits, rabies shots, microchip, blood tests and flea/tick treatments he has had in order to qualify. Its expensive but totally worth it...I couldn't leave him behind!

Good luck!
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 6:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

bromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to behold

Definitley get your citizenship before you leave however it may take a while. When I did mine prior to 911 it took a total of 10 months. I'm not sure what the average timeline is now but if i were you I would find out and file the paperwork tomorrow! It's always a lot easier travelling into and out of the US with a USC child when you yourself have a USC passport.
Old Jul 30th 2009, 6:35 pm
Just Joined

Thanks again for all the advice.

Bromleygirl... I noticed you were in Cheyenne, I'm actually in Laramie where I've lived for the past 9 years (and only met 2 fellow Brits while I've been here).
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 12:13 am
Just Joined

Here's another question that has occured to me... do I need to do anything in regards to my National Insurance number, given that I've been off the radar for almost ten years.

Does it need to be 'reactivated'? Or when I get a new job in the UK will everything just pick up where I left off?

Also, what about any bills I might have left behind when I left the UK? Will they still be waiting for me with compounded interest after all this time, or do I get a clean slate? Hypthetically speaking, of course

Thanks again, these really are helpful forums.
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 1:15 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Regarding the last comment, I had considered applying for American citizenship before I left the country. I have lived here as a resident alien but have never pursued citizenship. My concerns would be, would it be considered dishonest to apply for citizenship knowing that I am planning to return home?
No. All you need to do is stay US resident until you are sworn in. As far as I know they don't care what you may or may not do in terms of residence thereafter.

No and no.
Old Aug 7th 2009, 2:14 am
Just Joined

Back to something JAJ said earlier... why would my child need two passports to travel? Why would a British consulate birth certificate and British passport not be enough? Especially as all three of us will be travelling together?
Old Aug 7th 2009, 2:20 am
JAJ
Retired

Back to something JAJ said earlier... why would my child need two passports to travel? Why would a British consulate birth certificate and British passport not be enough? Especially as all three of us will be travelling together?
As a US citizen, child also needs a US passport.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.