US to UK

Old Nov 20th 2002, 4:51 pm
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 112
steppke is an unknown quantity at this point
Default US to UK

After managing to surmount almost every INS hurdle to complete my AOS here in the US, a tempting job offer means me (UKC) and my husband (USC) may be moving back to the UK. Does anyone know how long it would take for him to get the appropriate visa - I'm sure it's nothing like the hoo-ha I've had to go through here!

Can we apply in person at the Consulate in LA or is it a mail only process?

Any indications of timeline gratefully received.
steppke is offline  
Old Dec 29th 2002, 9:18 am
Posts: n/a

you can get all the information you need from

Just to help you the forms are on

You will need forms: IM2A and IM2B

If you are in LA you could go to:

The British Consulate General
11766 Wilshire Blvd, Suite 1200
Los Angeles CA 90025-6538
Tel: (310) 481-2900
Fax: (310) 481-2961

Personal Applications

The Visa Section accepts walk-in applications between 8.30am and 11.30am; Consular Section between 8.30am and 2pm. Documents will be available for pick up between 3.30pm and 4.00pm. Please note that we will be closed on the following Public Holiday's in 2002

You can usually get your settlement visa on the same day if your paperwork is all in order.

Marriage $429
Spouse, incl. Same sex partners $429
Children, incl. Adoption $429

Documentary Requirements
The following documents should be produced in support of your application. Additional explanations are given where appropriate to assist you in providing us with full and accurate information.


(c) APPLICANT’S VALID PASSPORT. (Original only).

Spouses Passport
If your spouse is a British citizen by birth but does not hold a British passport then a full (long form) British birth certificate giving parents’ names will suffice. A British Visitor’s Passport is not sufficient.

If your spouse is entitled to right of abode in the United Kingdom but travels on a non-British passport, that passport containing the Certificate or stamp of the Right of Abode must be produced.

If your spouse is a foreign national with indefinite leave to remain in the United Kingdom, produce that passport.

If your spouse holds a British citizen passport, produce that passport.


This must be a civil marriage certificate issued by the registrar of marriage of the town or city where the marriage took place and bearing the appropriate seal of office.
A Civil marriage certificate issued by the relevant authorities of another country is acceptable, if accompanied by an official translation.


(i) divorce papers showing the date the divorce became final;
(ii) death certificate.

Letter Of Support
If you and your spouse do not attend this office in person we will require a letter stating that they are aware and support your application to settle with them in the United Kingdom, and that it is their intention that you will live permanently together as each other’s spouse.

Evidence Of Accommodation
This may come in various forms:

a) Lease or tenancy agreement for private rented property
b) Tenancy agreement with the local authority housing department

c) Mortgage papers for privately owned property

d) Title deeds (OR letter from the organization holding the deeds).

If you plan to stay temporarily with relatives or friends we require a letter from them giving their consent to this arrangement. In addition evidence in the form of (a), (b), (c) or (d) that they have suitable temporary accommodation available for you and your dependants.
NOTE: Under the Rules you must demonstrate that you have the intention and ability to acquire adequate accommodation of your own or which you occupy yourselves (i.e. a separate unit of accommodation. One room in a shared property may not be acceptable other than on a strictly temporary basis).

Financial Support
Evidence that you and your spouse can support yourselves and your dependants without recourse to public funds may include one or a combination of the following documents according to your circumstances.

a) Letter from your spouse’s employer in the United Kingdom stating the position in the company, length of service, annual salary and whether the position is permanent.
b) Offers of employment for either/both parties including details of salary.

c) Recent statements of bank and saving accounts showing sufficient means of support while employment is sought in the United Kingdom or for indefinite support if no employment is planned.

d) Educational or vocational certificates and C.V. to demonstrate qualification for potential employment in the area in which you plan to live.

e) References from previous employers.

f) Enquiries made regarding employment in the United Kingdom.

g) Plans for self-employment in the United Kingdom.

Hope this helps
Old Dec 29th 2002, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 112
steppke is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for the link, at first glance it certainly seems a lot easier than the AOS here.

Happy New Year
steppke is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.