UKM Descent Grandfather

Old Oct 28th 2023, 6:23 pm
Just Joined

robotza is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UKM Descent Grandfather

Hi all , I'm looking to fill in my dads application to be naturalised as a British citizen.

Has anyone here got some guidance for me ?

Here is what I've put together so far from my research .

Grandfather birth certificate - ( British citizen born in UK )
Father birth certificate ( Born in South Africa - CUKC by descent)
Father - Mother Marriage Certificate .( Married before 01/01/1949 )
Mother CUKC by British Nationality Act 1948 (section 4C(5) confirms her status as a citizen otherwise than by descent(Not by Descent)
Applicant Born 1952 - Birth Certificate ( Born in South Africa )

Would I need the marriage certificate of the grandparents ?

Last edited by robotza; Oct 28th 2023 at 6:26 pm.
Old Oct 29th 2023, 4:33 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: UKM Descent Grandfather

So from gathering information from this forum , this is how I understand my fathers route to British Nationality would work . If anyone can add or correct me if i'm wrong please feel free to post. Thanks

Old Oct 31st 2023, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

Glassybell is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by robotza
Hi all , I'm looking to fill in my dads application to be naturalised as a British citizen.

Mother CUKC by British Nationality Act 1948 (section 4C(5) confirms her status as a citizen otherwise than by descent(Not by Descent)

Hi, I'm not one of the experts in the forum, but wondered something. Your dad is CUKC by descent - why are you doing a naturalization form for him? If he is CUKC by descent all you need to do is submit documents to get his passport as he already is a citizen and doesn't need to naturalize: https://www.gov.uk/apply-first-adult-passport. In fact, if he naturalizes now, it implies he wasn't a citizen when you were born, which would cause you issues if you want to claim citizenship...

So, your claim is basically your dad was a CUKC by descent and married your mom and she became a CUKC and then when you were born you should have become a CUKC by descent from her (ignoring the citizen by descent you could have obtained had your dad registered your birth with the consulate)?

Do you have evidence your mom is a British citizen? Again, not an expert on marriage and citizenship, but assuming you are correct that she was a CUKC because of marriage when you were born, I wonder if you can just do a UKM form to claim citizenship via your mom. I do hope someone who knows more gives you some answers.
Old Oct 31st 2023, 7:56 pm
Just Joined

Hi Glassybell , his case is a bit more complicated because his father ( My grandfather ) is CUKC by descent, and because of section 12 (5) BNA his wife ( My grandmother ) would be CUKC not by descent, which opens the door for my dad to be registered as CUKC by descent

So unfortunately he cant be registered directly without a decision from the home office
Old Nov 6th 2023, 3:51 pm
Just Joined

Does anyone know if I need my dad's mother's birth certificate ? or is it irrelevant ?
Old Nov 7th 2023, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

jmin has a reputation beyond reputejmin has a reputation beyond reputejmin has a reputation beyond reputejmin has a reputation beyond reputejmin has a reputation beyond reputejmin has a reputation beyond reputejmin has a reputation beyond reputejmin has a reputation beyond reputejmin has a reputation beyond reputejmin has a reputation beyond reputejmin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robotza

Why are you trying to register him as a citizen? So that you can become a citizen?

If I understand your situation, both your paternal grandparents are British citizens:
Your paternal great-grandfather was born in the UK
Your grandfather was a CUKC by descent and then a British citizen by descent by 11(1)
Your grandmother was a CUKC by 12(5) and then later considered a British citizen otherwise than by descent because she married your grandfather before BNA 1948 took effect.

Last edited by jmin; Nov 7th 2023 at 3:38 pm.
Old Nov 7th 2023, 3:58 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jmin
Why are you trying to register him as a citizen? So that you can become a citizen?

If I understand your situation, both your paternal grandparents are British citizens:
Your paternal great-grandfather was born in the UK
Your grandfather was a CUKC by descent and then a British citizen by descent by 11(1)
Your grandmother was a CUKC by 12(5) and then later considered a British citizen otherwise than by descent because she married your grandfather before BNA 1948 took effect.

Thanks for replying jmin , I am trying to register him as we are going to move as a family to the Isle of man. Me on a work visa , him as a UK passport holder.
Do you know what birth/marriage certificates I would need for this application ?