UK Visit. Car Options with 3 under 5? Help Please.

Old Dec 20th 2008, 6:01 am
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold
Default UK Visit. Car Options with 3 under 5? Help Please.

Hi ya,

We are planning a trip back to the UK next year and are looking into car options for part of the trip.

We will have 3 children. For the baby I have an infant carrier that I left behind. My mum has a spare seat for our 3 year old. The 4 year old could get away with a booster.

The problem is knowing which cars will fit 3 across the back.

Has anyone had any experiences with this and is there anything else you planned for when travelling with 3 under 5. I'm in the middle of researching so hopefully might find some stuff but would love to hear personal experiences to.

thanks in advance.
Old Dec 20th 2008, 6:18 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Visit. Car Options with 3 under 5? Help Please.

Originally Posted by PoppetUK
Hi ya,

We are planning a trip back to the UK next year and are looking into car options for part of the trip.

We will have 3 children. For the baby I have an infant carrier that I left behind. My mum has a spare seat for our 3 year old. The 4 year old could get away with a booster.

Has anyone had any experiences with this and is there anything else you planned for when travelling with 3 under 5. I'm in the middle of researching so hopefully might find some stuff but would love to hear personal experiences to.

thanks in advance.
Moved to the UK forum - gives you two chances of an answer as there is still a link in the Aussie forum
Old Dec 20th 2008, 6:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

I had the same problem whilst living there. We had a vauxhall zafira initially but as it was an older one the middle seat had only a lap belt. The newer ones are better but you'll lose some skin off your knuckles each time you do the buckle up.

So we updated to a citroen C8. Much easier to get your hands down between the seats in that. Most people carriers with individual seats are ok. Either that or it needs to be a REALLY wide car to get them all in.

And that's not even considering if the seats you have even fit the shape of the cars seats without wobbling or buckle crunch!
Old Dec 20th 2008, 6:53 am
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Moved to the UK forum - gives you two chances of an answer as there is still a link in the Aussie forum
Thank you.
Old Dec 20th 2008, 7:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Safin
I had the same problem whilst living there. We had a vauxhall zafira initially but as it was an older one the middle seat had only a lap belt. The newer ones are better but you'll lose some skin off your knuckles each time you do the buckle up.

So we updated to a citroen C8. Much easier to get your hands down between the seats in that. Most people carriers with individual seats are ok. Either that or it needs to be a REALLY wide car to get them all in.

And that's not even considering if the seats you have even fit the shape of the cars seats without wobbling or buckle crunch!
Tell me about it.

I am now starting to stress about this. If it was just my two that are already here then it would be fine. Ask my MIL to lend us her polo and we will be sorted but the bun in the over is the problem. I know my two car seats fit the polo but it's where I can get away with sticking my tall daughter who will be 5 in a very very very knuckle shreading booster.

My other option is to hire a small compact car and ask to borrow the polo but that will mean two cars every where. Mind you once we reach our destinations we will not going to far and it gives me the option to go off and for hubby to go off.

What is the story about putting a booster seat in the front passenger?

Thanks for responses. Keep them coming.
Old Dec 20th 2008, 7:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on air bags for one thing in the front seat. Not sure on current law though.

I know we squeezed all 3 seats into MILs clio once or twice. though may not even physically fit in a polo.
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 8:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Honest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of light

Hi ya,

thanks in advance.

Try this link......

http://www.childcarseats.org.uk/law/index.htm#kids311

If there is a third child in the rear of a car, and space prevents a 3rd seat, then the child can wear a normal lap or seat belt.

Its a really good site, have a look through and it will tell you everything you need to know.

Its really awkward traveling with kids now. We had to hire a car seat for our toddler the last time we went to the UK, it cost a clean fortune, I think the car hire company's are taking the rip, they know its law, so the customer is left with no choice but to hire one, if they can't bring they're own.

Having said that - better safe than sorry.
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 10:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Honest_H
Try this link......

http://www.childcarseats.org.uk/law/index.htm#kids311

If there is a third child in the rear of a car, and space prevents a 3rd seat, then the child can wear a normal lap or seat belt.

Its a really good site, have a look through and it will tell you everything you need to know.

Its really awkward traveling with kids now. We had to hire a car seat for our toddler the last time we went to the UK, it cost a clean fortune, I think the car hire company's are taking the rip, they know its law, so the customer is left with no choice but to hire one, if they can't bring they're own.

Having said that - better safe than sorry.
Thanks for that link. I am thinking of purchasing a booster for my daughter. Can then let my brother have it for his little girl who will be 4 soon or my mum as a spare. Rather let someone get some use out of it. Thankfully my mum stored our old infant seats and stage 1 seats just in case we returned. The problem is finding a car that they fit in ahhhhh.

We found a really good and affordable place over here for hire seats, there aim is to ensure kids are safe. www.kidsafewa.com.au
Wish the UK had something similar. Thought I would put the link in case it helps someone else out.
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 11:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Honest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for that link. I am thinking of purchasing a booster for my daughter. Can then let my brother have it for his little girl who will be 4 soon or my mum as a spare. Rather let someone get some use out of it. Thankfully my mum stored our old infant seats and stage 1 seats just in case we returned. The problem is finding a car that they fit in ahhhhh.

We found a really good and affordable place over here for hire seats, there aim is to ensure kids are safe. www.kidsafewa.com.au
Wish the UK had something similar. Thought I would put the link in case it helps someone else out.
We had a Renault Scenic the last time we were there. Though we only have the 2 kids, we were able to fold the middle seat down which made a table. But its a full size seat so there would be plenty of room for 3 seats in the back of it. It was the 5 seat Scenic not the 7, which meant that the boot was more than big enough for all the luggage and the kitchen sink that you seem to need when travelling with little ones. lol