UK Visa Rule Challenge - Rejected

Old Jul 5th 2013, 6:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK Visa Rule Challenge - Rejected

Looks like the High Court has rejected a challenge to the family immigration rules. They say the rules are not discriminatory or unlawful, but a judge did say they were unjustified and onerous.

The challenge was on the basis that the rules were discriminatory and interfered with Article 8 of the Human Rights Act.
Old Jul 5th 2013, 6:41 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Visa Rule Challenge - Rejected

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
Looks like the High Court has rejected a challenge to the family immigration rules. They say the rules are not discriminatory or unlawful, but a judge did say they were unjustified and onerous.

The challenge was on the basis that the rules were discriminatory and interfered with Article 8 of the Human Rights Act.
Hmm, I think there may--possibly, just possibly--be a tiny bit of good news disguised in the bad news.

The article does say:
Mr Justice Blake, sitting in London, said that while there might be sound reasons for some of the individual requirements "taken in isolation", he had concluded that the combination of more than one of the five requirements of the rules was "so onerous in effect as to be an unjustified and disproportionate interference with a genuine spousal relationship".

Home Secretary Theresa May has been given permission to appeal.

And it is now for Mrs May to decide whether any amendments should be made to the rules to satisfy the requirements of proportionality.

A Home Office spokesperson said: "Our family changes were brought in to make sure that spouses coming to live in the UK would not become reliant on the taxpayer for financial support and would be able to integrate effectively. We're pleased that this judgment supports the basis of our approach.

"We are looking closely at the judgment and its likely impact on the minimum income threshold before we decide how to respond.

"In the meantime, where an applicant does not meet the minimum income threshold and there is no other reason to refuse it, the application will be put on hold."
We'll see what happens next, if anything.
Old Jul 5th 2013, 6:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue
We'll see what happens next, if anything.
I'm not sure if an indefinite hold is any better than a rejection, followed *at some point* by a change in procedure with the opportunity for applications rejected for that one reason to be reconsidered.

An application could be on hold for 2 months, 6 months, 18 months... and if the passport has been sent in, normally a UK visa application is cancelled with no refund if there's a request for a passport to be returned.

Don't forget, if the HO does alter things that they tend to drag their feet - firstly to the point of making the decision to change the rules, and then to actually implementing the rules. It's a matter of finding the "right" legal appeal to the rules, not necessarily the first one that gets to this point.

I'm not so optimistic for those wanting to apply for a visa.
Old Jul 5th 2013, 9:26 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.freemovement.org.uk/2013/...d-unjustified/
Old Jul 5th 2013, 9:34 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

And here's the actual judgment:

http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/...2013/1900.html
Old Jul 5th 2013, 9:38 pm
WhiteRabbit

I want to kiss this judge!

"Nevertheless, to set the figure significantly higher than even the £13,400 gross annual wage effectively denies young people and many thousands of low-wage earners in full time employment the ability to be joined by their non-EEA spouses from abroad unless they happen to have wealthy relatives or to have won the lottery."
Old Jul 5th 2013, 9:46 pm
WhiteRabbit

"Neither do I accede to the defendant's invitation to dismiss the claims without more as lacking in merit. To the contrary I conclude that there is substantial merit in the contention that the interference represented by the combination of the five factors in the family life of the claimants on the assumed facts is disproportionate and unlawful. "
Old Jul 5th 2013, 10:03 pm
Just Joined

robynxo is on a distinguished road

Please please please!! some hope at last.
Old Jul 6th 2013, 1:42 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebeccajo

"Nevertheless, to set the figure significantly higher than even the £13,400 gross annual wage effectively denies young people and many thousands of low-wage earners in full time employment the ability to be joined by their non-EEA spouses from abroad unless they happen to have wealthy relatives or to have won the lottery."
Me too! Let's hear it for Justice Blake!
Old Jul 6th 2013, 2:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by WEBlue
Me too! Let's hear it for Justice Blake!
Is it the wig that does it for you two?
Old Jul 6th 2013, 2:42 pm
WhiteRabbit

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
Is it the wig that does it for you two?
Aren't those things just the silliest!!

My husband and I are going to London in a few weeks. One of the things we have on our "list" is a guided tour around the Inns of Court. I understand that on the route, we will pass a shop that sells stuff to the legal profession, and that the front window is adorned with wigs and robes! I can hardly wait! What a photo op!
Old Jul 6th 2013, 2:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

larrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of light

My husband and I are going to London in a few weeks. One of the things we have on our "list" is a guided tour around the Inns of Court. I understand that on the route, we will pass a shop that sells stuff to the legal profession, and that the front window is adorned with wigs and robes! I can hardly wait! What a photo op!
Have a wonderful trip rebeccajo!!!
Old Jul 6th 2013, 3:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Aren't those things just the silliest!!

Originally Posted by larrabee
+1 - do have a great trip

In a similar vein, I took this photo in London a couple of years ago - I love the juxtaposition of the guy on the right using what looks to be a very very old ledger in one hand, and his iPad in the other hand...
Attached Thumbnails UK Visa Rule Challenge - Rejected-dsc01713.jpg  
Old Jul 6th 2013, 3:08 pm
WhiteRabbit

Originally Posted by larrabee
Thanks! We are really looking forward to it.
Old Jul 6th 2013, 3:08 pm
WhiteRabbit

Originally Posted by rebs
+1 - do have a great trip

In a similar vein, I took this photo in London a couple of years ago - I love the juxtaposition of the guy on the right using what looks to be a very very old ledger in one hand, and his iPad in the other hand...
You've got yourself quite a photo there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.