UK spouse visa relationship proof confusion

Old Nov 23rd 2021, 6:11 pm
Just Joined

thedtjs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK spouse visa relationship proof confusion

Hi everyone

My wife (US citezen) and I (British citizen) are going to be applying for a visa for her to live with me in the UK.

We are looking at getting our evidence together but are coming to a dead end. I have read about a joint bank account, proof of living together, proof of bills together etc. We have none of these things as she is in a different country! We are told we can't rent a place together as she doesn't have a right to rent in the UK as she isn't a British citezen. We also have no joint bills as we don't live together. I'm also told we can't open a joint bank account as she isn't a British citizen. It seems that everything we can't get is what we need to prove our relationship.

We met online last year through mutual friends (a couple I lived with here a few years ago) who moved to the US and met her. It was them who put us in touch and we started a long distance relationship. She came to visit in February. We got married in Gibraltar in July and she came to the UK again until September. I flew to the USA to visit her last month and she is coming back here to visit next month for Christmas.

We have plenty of pictures, messages, daily call records, plane tickets, testimonials from friends and family from both sides etc. The only things we can't get are bills or agressments in both our names. It seems as though she needs a visa to get a right to rent but we need to live together to get a visa! I can't seem to find any concrete information on how to get a successful visa application without proof of cohabitation.

I understand a visa application isn't a guarantee and we are prepared for hard work to get it right, but we can't seem to find the information we need to push forward.

Has anyone had a similar situation and if so, what were some of the things you did as a couple to get the information needed?

Any help into the right direction is extremely appreciated!

Thanks
Old Nov 23rd 2021, 6:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK spouse visa relationship proof confusion

You do not need to proof of living together etc since your wife lives in the US. - for whatever reasons.
You need to show a genuine relationship.
So, photos of wedding, photos of you, her, friends, family during the time you have known her, messages, other correspondence over the time she has been in US and you in UK.
An explanatory letter as to why she is in US and you in UK.
As you have a relatively short relationship (online from 2020, met in February 2021), you should supply enough documentation to prove genuine relationship. (Testimonials from friends/family are not considered strong enough, although you can include them if you so wish)
Old Nov 23rd 2021, 8:22 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the reply.

What kind of documentation would be sufficient to prove our relationship? I'm assuming printouts of call logs, messages etc along with photos? Would flight bookings help to show we've visited each other? Also, is it all online submission or would there be an interview for us to attend?

Thanks again.
Old Nov 23rd 2021, 9:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thedtjs
Thanks for the reply.

What kind of documentation would be sufficient to prove our relationship? I'm assuming printouts of call logs, messages etc along with photos? Would flight bookings help to show we've visited each other? Also, is it all online submission or would there be an interview for us to attend?

Thanks again.
The most important document is the marriage certificate; plus the other things I have mentioned. Also of course you have to show you have accommodation and the financial requirements
It is all online - there is no interview.
Bearing in mind your short relationship, yes, flight bookings and details of visits since marriage would help.

It is all o
Old Nov 23rd 2021, 9:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

duplicate
Old Nov 24th 2021, 9:12 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
The most important document is the marriage certificate; plus the other things I have mentioned. Also of course you have to show you have accommodation and the financial requirements
It is all online - there is no interview.
Bearing in mind your short relationship, yes, flight bookings and details of visits since marriage would help.

It is all o
Thanks so much for your help. Even though testimonials aren't strong evidence, will multiple letters help? I'm guessing the more info the better?
Old Nov 24th 2021, 3:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks so much for your help. Even though testimonials aren't strong evidence, will multiple letters help? I'm guessing the more info the better?
The ECO will not want to wade through masses of testimonial letters - more info is not always better. Just include one or two.....
Old Nov 26th 2021, 9:10 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
The ECO will not want to wade through masses of testimonial letters - more info is not always better. Just include one or two.....
OK great. Do you think it would matter who the testimonials came from? I have a friend who is a civil servant, so do you think that would that hold any more importance than just a friend?
Old Nov 26th 2021, 2:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OK great. Do you think it would matter who the testimonials came from? I have a friend who is a civil servant, so do you think that would that hold any more importance than just a friend?

No...