UK spouse visa questions

Old Jan 20th 2019, 3:50 pm
Just Joined

sebl1ng is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK spouse visa questions

Hey everyone! This is my first post so be nice

My fiance and I will next month be applying for a UK spouse visa following our marriage so we've been preparing our application documents but there are some areas we're unsure on. Just to be clear, she is a US citizen and I am British from birth. There are a few questions so forgive me in advance and I appreciate any help given!

Accommodation:

My situation is that I rent with a friend a 3 storey terraced house with three bedrooms. My room is the largest of the three and has a an ensuite, so I have a lot of privacy. Our plan is to use this place as a temporary location until she has settled and found employment, at which point we will find out own accommodation. I've spoken to the landlord and hes perfectly happy with this and for her to live at he property.

1) What documentation exactly do I need to provide to satisfy the accommodation requirement?
2) Do I need anything from my house-mate to say he is fine with her living here?
3) I've described the above situation and plans in my supporting letter, will that be sufficient?

Finance:

I started my new job (36000 salary per annum) on July 16th, 2018, and when we apply I'll have 6 pay slips - however the first was only for half a month.

1) Is it a problem that the first month is only for half?
2) Can I still apply under Cat A?
3) Should I include my 2018 p60 and any savings statements?
4) Is it a good idea to highlight records on my bank statements to help the officer find my incoming wage payment and any rental/bill payments?
5) I approached my employer about a letter confirmation my employment, but they require an address to address the letter to. What should I use?

Other:

1) So I've read information on the government website (page: Apply for a UK visa in the USA) that says our application documents are sent to New York, but other sources say we sent documents directly to Sheffield.What is the process here? Do we send everything to New York using VFS Services? Do I send some stuff to Sheffield and she sends some stuff to New York?
2) We predominantly communicate over facebook messenger and by facetiming. Do we send them a copy of all our chat logs? Also, at what point do we make the copy? Can I do it now or should we leave it as late as possible?
3) Is it a requirement to book travel prior to the visa decision? Or in the application can we put a rough date and book travel afterwards?
4) I’ve read there are problems with uploading documents on the visa application website, is this something I should be worried about ?

--

Thats all my questions for now. Again I appreciate any help here!

Cheers, Seb.
Old Jan 20th 2019, 4:11 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK spouse visa questions

Originally Posted by sebl1ng
We're always nice. I've answered what I can.

My fiance and I will next month be applying for a UK spouse visa following our marriage so we've been preparing our application documents but there are some areas we're unsure on. Just to be clear, she is a US citizen and I am British from birth. There are a few questions so forgive me in advance and I appreciate any help given!

Accommodation:

My situation is that I rent with a friend a 3 storey terraced house with three bedrooms. My room is the largest of the three and has a an ensuite, so I have a lot of privacy. Our plan is to use this place as a temporary location until she has settled and found employment, at which point we will find out own accommodation. I've spoken to the landlord and hes perfectly happy with this and for her to live at he property.

1) What documentation exactly do I need to provide to satisfy the accommodation requirement?
A copy of your tenancy agreement. A signed letter from your landlord naming your wife and stating that she has permission to live in the property once her visa allowing her to live in the UK has been sighted. The letter should also describe the layout of the house (number of bedrooms, living areas etc), and state that there is only one other tenant living in the property. Many people include a copy of a home inspection or similar that confirms the property's layout.
2) Do I need anything from my house-mate to say he is fine with her living here?
Not if you have a letter from your landlord as described above.
3) I've described the above situation and plans in my supporting letter, will that be sufficient?
No, see above.

Finance:

I started my new job (36000 salary per annum) on July 16th, 2018, and when we apply I'll have 6 pay slips - however the first was only for half a month.

The payslips must cover a full 6 month period.
p60, yes. Bank statements are mandatory, and should show your salary payments that match your payslips.
4) Is it a good idea to highlight records on my bank statements to help the officer find my incoming wage payment and any rental/bill payments?
Not necessary. If you do decide to highlight, only do so for your salary payments.
5) I approached my employer about a letter confirmation my employment, but they require an address to address the letter to. What should I use?
The address where you live.

Other:

1) So I've read information on the government website (page: Apply for a UK visa in the USA) that says our application documents are sent to New York, but other sources say we sent documents directly to Sheffield.What is the process here? Do we send everything to New York using VFS Services? Do I send some stuff to Sheffield and she sends some stuff to New York?
2) We predominantly communicate over facebook messenger and by facetiming. Do we send them a copy of all our chat logs? Also, at what point do we make the copy? Can I do it now or should we leave it as late as possible?
3) Is it a requirement to book travel prior to the visa decision? Or in the application can we put a rough date and book travel afterwards?
Do not book travel prior to a visa decision. Your wife will need to nominate in her application the date she wishes to enter the UK. This date can be up to 6 months from the date she applies.
4) I’ve read there are problems with uploading documents on the visa application website, is this something I should be worried about ?

--

Cheers, Seb.
Please see above in red font

Last edited by spouse of scouse; Jan 20th 2019 at 4:13 pm.
Old Jan 20th 2019, 4:25 pm
Just Joined

sebl1ng is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey spouse of scouse! Many thanks for the reply. This is all very useful, but want to just touch upon the new job and working for less than 6 months. I've just done a quick google search, and I believe I should be meeting the financial requirement under Cat B instead. Part 1 is met because my annual salary is above the requirement, and Part 2 can be met if I show a full years worth of payslips from both my current and previous jobs. Is that correct?
Old Jan 20th 2019, 4:29 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Hey spouse of scouse! Many thanks for the reply. This is all very useful, but want to just touch upon the new job and working for less than 6 months. I've just done a quick google search, and I believe I should be meeting the financial requirement under Cat B instead. Part 1 is met because my annual salary is above the requirement, and Part 2 can be met if I show a full years worth of payslips from both my current and previous jobs. Is that correct?
Hi Seb, I didn't realise you were looking to meet the financial requirements from your previous job as well as your new one. Can't help with that I'm afraid but I'm sure someone else will be able to.
Old Jan 21st 2019, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

OSJG has a reputation beyond reputeOSJG has a reputation beyond reputeOSJG has a reputation beyond reputeOSJG has a reputation beyond reputeOSJG has a reputation beyond reputeOSJG has a reputation beyond reputeOSJG has a reputation beyond reputeOSJG has a reputation beyond reputeOSJG has a reputation beyond reputeOSJG has a reputation beyond reputeOSJG has a reputation beyond repute

I know of someone who applied using two jobs. However they were refused based on financial requirements. Now she's reapplying and highlighting both salary deposits. I'm going to highlight because I feel it safer especially if using two or more jobs. (I'm using three). There's really no harm in highlighting it I think
Old Jan 21st 2019, 2:34 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by OSJG
I know of someone who applied using two jobs. However they were refused based on financial requirements. Now she's reapplying and highlighting both salary deposits. I'm going to highlight because I feel it safer especially if using two or more jobs. (I'm using three). There's really no harm in highlighting it I think
The OP isn't applying using 2 concurrent jobs, he's applying based on the salary he earned in his previous job as well as his current one.
Old Jan 21st 2019, 2:37 pm
Just Joined

Susum103 is an unknown quantity at this point

Accommodation:

Finance:

Other:

--

Cheers, Seb.
I also found the instructions about where to send documents from the US confusing. The confirmation email gives the Sheffield address, but then says to follow the biometrics confirmation email instructions as to where to send it. I sent everything to New York AND uploaded it on the website, but didn't send anything to Sheffield. I didn't have any problems uploadeding, but I sent copies of everything in the package to NY, just in case (I also uploaded after the biometrics, so I wasn't sure if it would be accepted?). Ugh, so frustrating and inconsistent. I'll check back and let you know if I'm contacted about whether any of this was right or wrong... I may send an email this week to confirm it was received in Sheffield, and I'll post if/when I receive a response.

Don't book travel until receiving the visa, btw.