UK passport for US-born child

Old Jul 17th 2012, 7:53 pm
Just Joined

twazzler is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK passport for US-born child

Hi,

I'm a British citizen with a green card and have been living here in the States with my American wife for about 5 years. We recently had a baby daughter (born here in the States) and I'd like to get her a UK passport.

So my main question is...is this possible? I am not a US citizen and have no plans to become one, and I also don't want to register the bairn as a UK citizen.

I have the C2 form and accompanying notes but I don't see anything that specifically relates to my current situation.

Any advice, oh wise ones?
Old Jul 17th 2012, 8:09 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK passport for US-born child

There are so many threads on this, you really should have a search, also not really a US immigration question at all, so you'd better off looking in the main US forum.

If you were born in the UK, chances are your kid is a UK as well as a US citizen. Because of that, you'd be daft to not get US citizenship if eligible, unless you need a UK security clearance.

And unless you've plans on moving to the UK, there's very little point in getting a UK passport, it would be cheaper and better long run to just register the birth with the local consulate and not get the certificate, as the kid will need to have a US passport to exit/enter the US anyway.

Congratulations though!
Old Jul 17th 2012, 8:16 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the response. We do have long term plans to move back to the UK at some point, hence the passport thing.

Curious about your statement that I'd "be daft not to get US citizenship if eligible" - what actual benefits does it confer? I'm really not that bothered about being able to vote.
Old Jul 17th 2012, 8:38 pm
Passport Collector

dreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by twazzler
Thanks for the response. We do have long term plans to move back to the UK at some point, hence the passport thing.

Curious about your statement that I'd "be daft not to get US citizenship if eligible" - what actual benefits does it confer? I'm really not that bothered about being able to vote.
Well, the right to live outside the US without losing your status... immunity from deportation in case of a criminal conviction... those are the most important ones.
Old Jul 17th 2012, 8:47 pm
Just Joined

Well, to get back to the OP, I've just seen this on the FCO's own website:

Although we welcome applications to register the birth of children born in the USA to British parents, you should be aware that this is not obligatory. A registration certificate is a useful document to help establish a child's British nationality, but it is perfectly acceptable to apply directly for a British passport, without first registering the birth.
So...um...I'll just get the passport then
Old Jul 17th 2012, 9:04 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Are you moving back to the UK within the next 5 years? That's how long a kids passport is valid for, so if not, it'd be a waste of time and better off doing it in the UK if you go over for a holiday because it will be a boat load cheaper.

The big benefit of citizenship is being able to live in the country your kid could very well decide to live in and not have to start the immigration process from scratch. Most people do it because it allows them to bugger off.
Old Jul 17th 2012, 9:07 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Well, to get back to the OP, I've just seen this on the FCO's own website:

So...um...I'll just get the passport then
It's not required, but it's a damn site cheaper than a passport, it lasts a life time and something the kid can then in the future get for 10 squid at the GRO to prove citizenship, which is a hell of a lot easier, quicker and cheaper than having to go through from scratch if they lose their UK passport and you're dead.

The thing that makes it useful is that sometimes they'll question a US birth cert that has been issued after 3 months after birth, because US birth certs, unlike many other countries, can be modified in the event of an adoption so there is no proof that the parent is the biological parent, thus able to pass on citizenship.

But hey, whatever.
Old Jul 17th 2012, 10:32 pm
Just Joined

Thanks again, this has given me some stuff to ponder...
Old Jul 19th 2012, 5:12 pm
Forum Regular

michael rothwell is a jewel in the roughmichael rothwell is a jewel in the roughmichael rothwell is a jewel in the roughmichael rothwell is a jewel in the rough

Dreamercon just because you come a citizen does not mean you can't be deported and you don't get immunity if you commit a crime you can actully be striped of citizenship,
Old Jul 19th 2012, 5:59 pm
Passport Collector

dreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by michael rothwell
Dreamercon just because you come a citizen does not mean you can't be deported and you don't get immunity if you commit a crime you can actully be striped of citizenship,
Thats not true. A citizen can not be deported or striped of citizenship unless he obtained citizenship fraudulently.
No one gets immunity from prosecution (unless a foreign diplomat) - but you do get immunity from deportation.

After all, all citizens are deemed equal, whether naturalized or not - with the exception of eligibility for the presidency.

Last edited by dreamercon; Jul 19th 2012 at 6:04 pm.
Old Jul 19th 2012, 6:50 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by michael rothwell
Bzzzt... wrong. The only crime for which a naturalized USC can be deported or stripped of US citizenship is treason against the US. Whatever else you've been told is either a lie or popular myth.

Ian
Old Jul 19th 2012, 7:06 pm
Passport Collector

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Bzzzt... wrong. The only crime for which a naturalized USC can be deported or stripped of US citizenship is treason against the US. Whatever else you've been told is either a lie or popular myth.

Ian
And even for treason, it probably violates the equal protection clause of the US constitution to treat naturalized citizens differently from native borns.
Old Jul 19th 2012, 7:23 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

I am not a US citizen and have no plans to become one, and I also don't want to register the bairn as a UK citizen.
Your child is a dual US/UK citizen whether she or you want her to be or not. You really don't have the right to determine whether or not she renounces one after she attains the age of majority -- that is her prerogative.

Your job is to make it easier for her. The absolute minimum is to register the birth with the UK consulate. If you want a full house, order the certificate and get her a passport as well. But at least register the birth.

Also, you should consider whether it is not wise to avail yourself of the same citizenships as your daughter since you have the opportunity. You never know what the future might bring, and not being allowed to live in the same country where your daughter might have to live is not helping her much.
Old Jul 19th 2012, 10:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Actually, even that is not true. Nikolaus Schiffer was stripped of his US citizenship and deported for serving in the Waffen-SS, despite having been born in Philadelphia. See

http://www.visalaw.com/00jan1/14jan100.html
Old Jul 19th 2012, 10:25 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Marocco
I'm sorry... I was under the impression that we're now living in the 21st Century. But you're right... treason isn't the only way someone can be stripped of citizenship. The other reason is if you weren't eligible for citizenship in the first place... y'know, by answering that you worked for the Nazis during the war years - which, by the way, is one of the questions on the N-400 application.

That aside, my original comment was correct... treason is the only crime that'll result in loss of citizenship. Ultimately, Schiffer's problem was a fraudulent application.

Ian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.