UK Passport Question

Old May 7th 2012, 9:23 am
Just Joined

gbclowes is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Passport Question

Hello All,

Here is my story. I was born in the US in 1964 to a British citizen father and an American mother. I am now trying to obtain a UK passport for reasons too complex for this discussion. I have father's birth certificate, mother's birth certificate, my birth certificate and all other requirements except for parents marriage certificate. Both parents and all other family members are now deceased and I have no knowledge of where or when they were married. I do have their divorce record.

I am considering filing a Form NS and if approved then the passport application.

Does anyone have any thoughts on where the UK will accept papers without marriage certificate?

Geoff
Old May 7th 2012, 10:22 am
Just Joined

vcf49 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: UK Passport Question

Theoretically, if you have their birth certificates and your own, that should be sufficient but if what you have read somewhere on the passport application site suggests that you need a copy of their marriage certificate (i.e. if your mother changed her name to that which appears on your birth certificate) via this link: http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/ and provide them with as much information as you can.
Old May 7th 2012, 8:35 pm
Just Joined

Thanks vcf. T
My parents were married in the US but I have no idea where or when. I suppose I will fill out Form NS and hope for the best.

Geoff
Old May 7th 2012, 9:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond repute

You might be able to get an answer on when/where they were married (which would mean you could get a copy of the marriage certificate) by asking at a geneology forum like the one at http://boards.ancestry.com/

They seem to know how to get all sorts of information!
Old Jun 24th 2012, 12:49 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I have a subscription to Ancestry dot com. If you would care to send me what details you have on both your parents I will try a search for you.

Full names including middle names.
Dates of birth and where.
Your Mother's maiden name
Your grandparents names.
Anything that may say where they may have lived.
Occupations.
Your own date of birth and full name. Same for siblings ( this is to cross reference if I find something)

You can send me a private message. Click on my username to the left of this post. A drop down menu will appear. From there you will see the option to private message.

So you know something of who you are messaging with such details. I am a Brit Expat now living in New Zealand .
Old Jun 24th 2012, 12:54 am
Just Joined

thanks for the offer BEVS but I also have a subscription to ancestory and have come up empty...
Old Jun 24th 2012, 1:12 am
Passport Collector

dreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond repute

If you try to get the court filings for the divorce, it normally mentions where the couple was married.
Old Jun 25th 2012, 6:18 am
`

Originally Posted by gbclowes
I do have their divorce record.
Originally Posted by dreamercon
If you try to get the court filings for the divorce, it normally mentions where the couple was married.
Good one.
Old Jun 25th 2012, 11:32 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gbclowes
Hello All,

Here is my story. I was born in the US in 1964 to a British citizen father and an American mother. I am now trying to obtain a UK passport for reasons too complex for this discussion. I have father's birth certificate, mother's birth certificate, my birth certificate and all other requirements except for parents marriage certificate. Both parents and all other family members are now deceased and I have no knowledge of where or when they were married. I do have their divorce record.
I am surprised that a divorce record would not give any detail of where/when the marriage took place. What exactly does it say (excluding personal details)?

Have you looked for a marriage certificate in the likely places? Probably they got married in the time period before you were born and quite possibly in the same state. Or in the United Kingdom before coming to the United States. Earlier in the thread you say they married in the United States but if you have no records, how can you be sure of this?

Last edited by JAJ; Jun 25th 2012 at 11:36 am.
Old Jun 25th 2012, 11:06 pm
`

Originally Posted by JAJ
I am surprised that a divorce record would not give any detail of where/when the marriage took place. What exactly does it say (excluding personal details)?

Have you looked for a marriage certificate in the likely places? Probably they got married in the time period before you were born and quite possibly in the same state. Or in the United Kingdom before coming to the United States. Earlier in the thread you say they married in the United States but if you have no records, how can you be sure of this?
I wondered that JAJ.

My offer stands. Sometimes a fresh mind will see something that another has missed.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 12:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Have you considered trying the USCIS Genealogy service? Though now I think about it, the records might be out of their time range.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 12:47 am
Just Joined

vcf49 will become famous soon enough

Just a thought, by divorce record, do you mean Decree Nisi or Decree Absolute, or was the divorce processed in the US? If it was processed in the UK, the issuing court keeps documents for 50 years and exactly when and where [and that can be anywhere in the World] the marriage took place [as it has to be typed precisely as it appears on the marriage certificate] will be on that document...
Old Jun 27th 2012, 8:36 pm
Just Joined

nataliesaldajeno is an unknown quantity at this point

hi.....not all timeline but would be interested to hear anyones latest times too. i am applying for a new passport in my married name and am a little confused over documents. dont want to delay it as need the passport for US immigration application too. If its a renewal for name change by marriage I dont need my full birth cert and my mums do i? also do i need a countersig to sign form and photo? It doesnt seem to exclude this requirement on the form but I keep reading things online that suggest not needed. Has anyone got any recent advice on this? I cant get through on careline as have no landline. any help would be really appreciated!