In the UK, married to Irish girl, now what...?

Old Oct 10th 2013, 11:30 am
Just Joined

castor4521 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default In the UK, married to Irish girl, now what...?

Her folks!
So here's the deal: I'm a US CITIZEN on indefinite leave to remain in the UK through marriage to an Irish citizen. Marriage took place in the UK. England has been the only country I've ever lived in. We're about to come up to the 3-year marriage mark. Can I now apply for my naturalisation of UK citizenship?? Or do I have to wait for 5 years??
Old Oct 10th 2013, 12:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

hoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: In the UK, married to Irish girl, now what...?

Originally Posted by castor4521
Her folks!
So here's the deal: I'm a US CITIZEN on indefinite leave to remain in the UK through marriage to an Irish citizen. Marriage took place in the UK. England has been the only country I've ever lived in. We're about to come up to the 3-year marriage mark. Can I now apply for my naturalisation of UK citizenship?? Or do I have to wait for 5 years??
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/br...tnerofcitizen/

Residential requirements

In order to demonstrate the residential requirements for naturalisation you need to:
have been resident in the United Kingdom for at least three years (this is known as the residential qualifying period); and
have been present in the United Kingdom three years before the date of your application; and
have not spent more than 270 days outside the United Kingdom during the three-year period; and
have not spent more than 90 days outside the United Kingdom in the last 12 months of the three-year period; and
have not been in breach of the immigration rules at any stage during the three-year period.
Old Oct 10th 2013, 12:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

hoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hoffage123
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/br...tnerofcitizen/

Residential requirements

In order to demonstrate the residential requirements for naturalisation you need to:
have been resident in the United Kingdom for at least three years (this is known as the residential qualifying period); and
have been present in the United Kingdom three years before the date of your application; and
have not spent more than 270 days outside the United Kingdom during the three-year period; and
have not spent more than 90 days outside the United Kingdom in the last 12 months of the three-year period; and
have not been in breach of the immigration rules at any stage during the three-year period.
For example spouses and civil partners of British citizens who must complete a 5 year probationary period under Appendix FM would generally have the opportunity to apply for naturalisation on this basis once they complete the 5 year period and obtain indefinite leave to remain provided they can also meet the other requirements of naturalisation at that time.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/po...igrationrules/
Old Oct 10th 2013, 12:23 pm
Just Joined

castor4521 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, that's really helpful. But I'm wondering if the 3-year minimum makes any difference if I'm married to an Irish citizen... (Sounds like a stupid question, I know)
Old Oct 10th 2013, 12:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE.

Unless I'm missing something, I can't see what this has to do with Canadian immigration? So I'll move it to the MBTTUK section of the forum where the good folks there will no doubt help.

Good luck.
Old Oct 10th 2013, 12:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Is she from Northern Ireland (so has dual Brit-Irish citizenship)? When did you get your ILR?

If you are on ILR and meet the qualifying period of 3 years, you should be ok as you appear to meet the resident time requirement and the 'settled status' requirement.
Old Oct 10th 2013, 12:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

englishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond repute

If she is Irish (as in Republic of) then you need to fulfil a 5-year period, if she is a British Citizen then only 3 years. Check out the link in the earlier post which details for Brit Cit's spouses and follow links from that page to see naturalisation for others
Old Oct 10th 2013, 11:29 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

When did you receive your ILR?
Old Oct 11th 2013, 1:29 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by castor4521
Her folks!
England has been the only country you've ever lived in, yet you got your ILR through marriage to someone. That's unusual. Were you born in the U.K.?

Your spouse is an Irish citizen, so that's not a British citizen, so doesn't count for the 3-year rule. However, many Irish citizens hold British citizenship as well, even if they don't have a British passport.

Or would your spouse be interested in applying for naturalisation? That might make a difference to you, because then you would have a British spouse.