Wikiposts

UK Divorce evidence required?

Old Jul 11th 2015, 9:03 pm
Just Joined

wootme is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Divorce evidence required?

Getting ready to gather all the supporting documentation for my VA F4A and the Appendix 2 forms I noticed that they ask about the applicant's (me) and the sponsor's former marriages (Appendix 2, Question 1.21)

My partner was married and divorced in the UK almost 20 years ago. The only document he's got evidence of is the Court Order that covered who got the house, and the payments he was ordered to make for the children.

Reading through the Guide for supporting documents (page 3) they request evidence in the form of a letter explaining our relationship and copies of our civil union certificate (among others) and they also mention death/divorce certificate.

Is it required for us to submit evidence of his divorce? Anybody got experience on this? What did you submit? Because the documents we have don't actually read "Divorce certificate" or "Marriage dissolution order" at all.
Old Jul 11th 2015, 11:18 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Divorce evidence required?

Originally Posted by wootme

My partner was married and divorced in the UK almost 20 years ago. The only document he's got evidence of is the Court Order that covered who got the house, and the payments he was ordered to make for the children.

Reading through the Guide for supporting documents (page 3) they request evidence in the form of a letter explaining our relationship and copies of our civil union certificate (among others) and they also mention death/divorce certificate.

Is it required for us to submit evidence of his divorce? Anybody got experience on this? What did you submit? Because the documents we have don't actually read "Divorce certificate" or "Marriage dissolution order" at all.
seems like he needs to get one

https://www.gov.uk/copy-decree-absolute-final-order

Divorces - The National Archives
Old Jul 12th 2015, 1:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Vadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond repute

In both 1993 (my first visa) and again in 2011 (2nd spouse visa) we submitted a copy of DH's decree absolute (from 1992) and my US divorce decree from 1st marriage....which was from the early 70's. They do specify evidence that you were 'free to marry'.
Old Jul 12th 2015, 1:52 am
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it is required. I submitted our originals.
Old Jul 15th 2015, 6:15 pm
Just Joined

Thanks guys, well, we got the original document of the Court Order that states a few things like:

- Who got the house.
- A sum paid to the ex.
- The order for child support.

But it mentions nothing about the marriage being dissolved. Would this be proof enough?

I've contacted the County Court where this took place to ask them but so far no response, it will be a challenge to get a response from them with us being in New Zealand.
Old Jul 15th 2015, 9:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

You will need a copy of the divorce decree, did you send the fee with your letter to the court?

From the link provided above:
Get a copy of a decree absolute or final order
Write to the court where the divorce, dissolution or annulment took place to get a copy of a decree absolute or final order.
Find the address for the court using the court finder.

If you know the case number, a copy of a decree absolute or final order costs £10. If you don’t know the case number, the cost is £45.

Send a cheque or postal order payable to ‘HM Courts & Tribunals Service’.
Old Jul 15th 2015, 10:16 pm
Just Joined

i just wrote an email to their enquiries section to seek direction from them, specially because we're in New Zealand and want to check if the fee to mail it here would be the same and if they'd take credit card or another payment method since we don't have UK cheques or the ability to buy postal orders from here.

It should prove to be a fun challenge getting this document.
Old Jul 15th 2015, 11:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wootme
i just wrote an email to their enquiries section to seek direction from them, specially because we're in New Zealand and want to check if the fee to mail it here would be the same and if they'd take credit card or another payment method since we don't have UK cheques or the ability to buy postal orders from here.

It should prove to be a fun challenge getting this document.
Good thinking about checking the fee, & I hope they have a payment option that will work for you!

I had to get a copy of mine (yonks ago) from abroad; I don't recall it being particularly difficult, just long... and I can't for the life of me remember how I paid the fee.

Last edited by Shirtback; Jul 15th 2015 at 11:42 pm.
Old Jul 16th 2015, 1:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

I also had to get a copy of mine. Wasn't difficult and I paid online with a debit card.