US Wife -can she apply from within the Uk?

Old Jul 16th 2015, 2:59 pm
Just Joined

earthworm_gym is an unknown quantity at this point
Default US Wife -can she apply from within the Uk?

Hi folks,

Soon to be in a similar situation; wife (US) and I (Brit) want to move back to the UK.

The new rules are ridiculous and we simply cannot afford to apply with both of us moving at the same time. Equally, neither of us would have job options at the other end. So we are looking at other means.

One option we are "considering" is me moving back to the UK without the wife, finding/getting a Full-time job, and thus sponsoring my wife to join me to live. Would that work? And with this option, would my wife be able to stay here on a standard visa for 3 months AND THEN apply to remain in the UK once I have my job?

Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers!

JR
Old Jul 16th 2015, 3:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British citizen living abroad? Non-EEA spouse? See this thread for basic informat

No - she cannot apply from within the UK. She must apply from the US. Technically she could enter the UK as a visitor, but has to show strong ties to the USA and convince the EO that she will be going back at the appropriate time. A US citizen is normally allowed to visit for 6 months in any 12 month period.

One thing you do NOT want to risk is overstaying.
Old Jul 16th 2015, 4:39 pm
Just Joined

earthworm_gym is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: British citizen living abroad? Non-EEA spouse? See this thread for basic informat

Originally Posted by Vadio
No - she cannot apply from within the UK. She must apply from the US. Technically she could enter the UK as a visitor, but has to show strong ties to the USA and convince the EO that she will be going back at the appropriate time. A US citizen is normally allowed to visit for 6 months in any 12 month period.

One thing you do NOT want to risk is overstaying.
Yeah that's what I thought.

My next question- in order for her to apply to join me, do I (the Brit) have to be in a job in the UK for AT LEAST six months AND with a decent salary? Or is it just a salary requirement?
Old Jul 16th 2015, 5:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by earthworm_gym
Yeah that's what I thought.

My next question- in order for her to apply to join me, do I (the Brit) have to be in a job in the UK for AT LEAST six months AND with a decent salary? Or is it just a salary requirement?
6 months, earning minimum 18,600 GBP