UK Citizen - Bangladeshi Wife

Old Sep 7th 2012, 7:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Citizen - Bangladeshi Wife

Originally Posted by SSS_HHS
Ok, very interesting - so what you are saying is that if I can show a certain amount of savings (I am guessing it has to be very high) then I can do away with the income levels altogether - is that correct?
Here are the financial requirements and rules/regulations/options regarding the requirements for spouse visa to UK:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/si...df?view=Binary
Old Sep 7th 2012, 8:13 pm
Just Joined

SSS_HHS is an unknown quantity at this point

I found this on the link that was provided by dunroving, The post below is from roaringmouse:

"The EEA route is 6 months in an EEA country, and under current rules a person married to a British citizen only needs to be a permanent resident on the day they apply (no 1 year minimum). So that timeline would look more like:
6 months in EEA country + 5 years on permit in UK + 1 day on PR = 5½ years or thereabouts.

Of course, the citizenship requirements for spouses of a British citizen could be changed to match everyone else in due course - particularly as the new rules for spouse visas mean 5 years before you can get ILR."

Does anybody know the entry requirements for the EEA route as far as my spouse is concerned???
Old Sep 7th 2012, 9:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving

I sometimes think these bureaucratic wonks are trained to wriite regulations that are ambiguous. [All they needed to do was combine the first two sentences to make it clear that the answer to both questions must be yes in order to be ineligible - just put the word "and" in between the two ...
A Boolean would be too easy

I'm trying to think of something witty to include an "and" "or" or "not", but the wine has gone to my head.

Last edited by formula; Sep 7th 2012 at 10:14 pm.
Old Sep 7th 2012, 10:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

I found this on the link that was provided by dunroving, The post below is from roaringmouse:

"The EEA route is 6 months in an EEA country, and under current rules a person married to a British citizen only needs to be a permanent resident on the day they apply (no 1 year minimum). So that timeline would look more like:
6 months in EEA country + 5 years on permit in UK + 1 day on PR = 5½ years or thereabouts.

Of course, the citizenship requirements for spouses of a British citizen could be changed to match everyone else in due course - particularly as the new rules for spouse visas mean 5 years before you can get ILR."

Does anybody know the entry requirements for the EEA route as far as my spouse is concerned???
You have to be exercising your EU worker rights in another EEA country first (you can't just live in another EEA country) to then apply under the Singh route. The problems is that some say that the Singh loophole will be closed (I'm not convinced that is true), but the bigger problem IMHO, will be the removal of free movement for EEAs. Spain is already trying to/changing the rules on free movement, which will affect a lot of Brits. The UK will have to respond and as they can't be seen to just target the Spanish, we will have to do something that affects all EEAs.

Plus if the euro gets into bigger trouble, you can expect free movement to end. Cameron is already saying that he will protect Britain and also that plans have been put in place in every UK embassy in EEA countries, to get the British passport holders home.

EEA rules and UK immigration rules are different and the UK immigration route is the safer option. Under EEA entry to the UK, you have to hope that free movement isn't removed before your wife gets British Citizenship (at least 5 and a half years). Under UK immigration rules, once she enters as a spouse, she will be given British citizenship as long as you and her remain in the UK; as once she is in the UK under UK immigration rules, she can remain in the UK and any future UK immigration changes will not affect her.

IMHO, if it were me: either go for the tier 4 student route for her (she can switch to a spouse in the UK, on this route) or you come back for 6 months, earn £18,600 (or less than this if you can make the rest up in savings as required, that you have held for 6 months) and then bring her in on a spouse visa. A spouse visa means she has working rights and full free access to the NHS too.

Last edited by formula; Sep 7th 2012 at 10:23 pm.
Old Sep 8th 2012, 7:36 am
Just Joined

Thank for your suggestion and advice "Formula",

The reason why the EEA route has struck a chord with me is that a friend of mine is already working in the ROI and I am looking for employment in both UK as well as ROI. Obviously when I read the thread about the "Surinder Singh route" it gave me a lot to think about.

You have highlighted a lot of areas that could cause problems with this route. Having looked into it there are also many positives as well. The fact that I don't have to worry about savings is also a factor as I would need to get help from my parents and I would as a first option solve my situation myself. In terms of employment - getting a job in the UK to meet the the requirements is also very tough given the recession and my present scenario.

TBH, if I opted for the "Surinder Singh Route", the ONLY country I would be able work in for a short periods is ROI and nowhere else. So if employment in ROI is not an option then the "normal" UK routes would be the only way to go.

The tier 4 route seems also very interesting and I will look into this. I am guessing that the costs for the course could be fairly high - do you have a link for a website that explains the requirements for Tier 4 students?
Old Sep 8th 2012, 7:40 am
Just Joined

The tier 4 route seems also very interesting and I will look into this. I am guessing that the costs for the course could be fairly high - do you have a link for a website that explains the requirements for Tier 4 students?
Found it!

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/vi...dult-students/

Panel along the top left hand corner

SAZZAD
Old Sep 8th 2012, 8:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by formula
You have to be exercising your EU worker rights in another EEA country first (you can't just live in another EEA country) to then apply under the Singh route. The problems is that some say that the Singh loophole will be closed (I'm not convinced that is true), but the bigger problem IMHO, will be the removal of free movement for EEAs. Spain is already trying to/changing the rules on free movement, which will affect a lot of Brits. The UK will have to respond and as they can't be seen to just target the Spanish, we will have to do something that affects all EEAs.
The other problem is the UK being offered the "in" or "out" vote of the EU. Labour are talking about offering this EU vote, as a way to get people to put them back into power at the next election. The present governent hinted they would do this too, during the run up to the last election.
Old Sep 8th 2012, 8:58 am
Just Joined

From my understanding, "the opt in/opt out" discussion has been going on for several years. What confuses me is that the conservative party when in opposition was very anti-Europe but when they are now de-facto decision makers (with respect to their coalition partners) the anti-Europe stance is not as aggressive. I maybe wrong as obviously the internet and TV can only give me a certain perspective but from where I am sitting, the practicalities of opting out of Europe do not seem as clear cut when they were in opposition.
Old Sep 8th 2012, 9:08 am
BE Forum Addict

If you are going to look for work in Ireland, then why not just get work in the UK in the first place and take the safe immigration route for your wife? There is work in the UK for those that are willing to work and there is a minimum wage too. So you could just get over to the UK, work and then bring your wife in on a spouse visa. Many families (such as forces families) have to spend time apart.

Costs will be high for an international student like your wife and she will have to attend her course or she will have her visa revoked and be told to leave the UK.

Look at the rules carefully as some Tier 4 sponsors are now not allowed to have students working; while others are still allowed the maximum 20 hours per week only, during term time. As a general rule, the proper univesities still have the this working right for students, while some of the many little colleges that have spring up over the years for international students only, have lost this right. The good (high up the scale) universities seem to be the safest option as they tend to attract the genuine international students.

Last edited by formula; Sep 8th 2012 at 9:28 am.
Old Sep 8th 2012, 9:11 am
BE Forum Addict

From my understanding, "the opt in/opt out" discussion has been going on for several years. What confuses me is that the conservative party when in opposition was very anti-Europe but when they are now de-facto decision makers (with respect to their coalition partners) the anti-Europe stance is not as aggressive.
Many MPs are still anti free movement. There was a big discusion in Parliament recently about the UK's immigration problems and the need to cut the numbers further; this was fronted by both the main parties MPs, Nicholas(?) Soames (Tory) and Frank Field (Labour).

Labour are talking about offering the EU "No" vote as many of their MPs feel they lost the last election on immigration and the Tories have already cut the low skilled, non-EU, visas . Mass low skilled immigration, hits the Labour voters the most; jobs; wages and their childrens schooling (high numbers of chilldren entering schools when they can't understand English and high class numbers).

Last edited by formula; Sep 8th 2012 at 9:54 am.
Old Sep 8th 2012, 10:59 am
Just Joined

Back to the Surinder Singh Route I have found this link for another forum (I hope the admin team do not mind):

http://www.immigrationboards.com/vie...d6849ef14a79e9

The option certainly looks feasible but obviously the risks mentioned by "Formula" are still very relevant.
Old Sep 8th 2012, 3:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

The option certainly looks feasible but obviously the risks mentioned by "Formula" are still very relevant.
One other risk someone else has pointed out; if free movement is stopped/Singh route stopped/UK comes out the EU, before your wife has got British citizenship and your wife then has to start again under UK immigration rules; we don't know how much stricter the rules will be then.
Old Sep 8th 2012, 10:43 pm
Just Joined

What I am thinking now is perhaps use the Surinder Singh route now in order to form a foundation for myself. i.e IF I am lucky enough to get any form of job in Dublin use that to establish some experience in a European country and at least prove more "attractive" to UK employers. Come to the UK via the Surinder Singh Route and establish a job with the necessary income requirements for UK Immigration and switch to the normal UK spouse visa requirements.

How practical and feasible is this option? Could I change once in the UK or as my wife now (hypothetically speaking!) has a EEA/EU residence permit will the UKBA option be completely closed to her?
Old Sep 8th 2012, 11:16 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

What I am thinking now is perhaps use the Surinder Singh route now in order to form a foundation for myself. i.e IF I am lucky enough to get any form of job in Dublin use that to establish some experience in a European country and at least prove more "attractive" to UK employers. Come to the UK via the Surinder Singh Route and establish a job with the necessary income requirements for UK Immigration and switch to the normal UK spouse visa requirements.

How practical and feasible is this option? Could I change once in the UK or as my wife now (hypothetically speaking!) has a EEA/EU residence permit will the UKBA option be completely closed to her?
At the same time why don't you just apply for jobs that will pay the required amount, or even a full time and a part time one for the 6 months needed.
Old Sep 8th 2012, 11:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
At the same time why don't you just apply for jobs that will pay the required amount, or even a full time and a part time one for the 6 months needed.
A very good suggestion - I have been applying for the last 6 months to UK based jobs before I visited the UK, during my visit to the UK and even now. The response has not been great. However, now with Surinder Singh Route, I should now widen my net and start looking at job vacancies in Ireland. I have already found several websites and have started searching for Telecoms jobs in ROI.

Obviously the last six months have been somewhat Disheartening which is why I was considering looking at lower paid but "easier" to get jobs.

I am still trying to get my head around Surinder Singh Route - is it the case that My wife and I can turn up in ROI and have 90 days to start looking for jobs?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.