Travelling 2 UK with son 4 9mths....

Old Mar 16th 2008, 3:07 pm
LAL
Mad Geordie Spaniard

LAL has much to be proud ofLAL has much to be proud ofLAL has much to be proud ofLAL has much to be proud ofLAL has much to be proud ofLAL has much to be proud ofLAL has much to be proud ofLAL has much to be proud ofLAL has much to be proud ofLAL has much to be proud ofLAL has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Travelling 2 UK with son 4 9mths....

If the mother has a British Passport and his full birth certificate with her name on...there is the plan...
US Citizens can enter UK for tourism purposes, the OP said she didn't know where her Naturalization Certificate was, so I was just pointing out the child is a UKC from birth no need to register him. Once he is in the country she could request a new Naturalization Certificate, take that along with her sons full birth certificate and fill in the the UK passport application at the closest passport office, she is staying in the UK for 9 months so she has plenty time to get it done, but her is was born a UKC and USC.
My husband is a UKC & USC and he has entered UK on his US Passport with out any probems and he didn't have to leave because once entered he is a UKC so he doesn't have any time restraints. It's not like the US where you have to enter & leave on a US Passport.
Maybe this link will help.
http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/bri.../bornoverseas/

Regards,
Lal
Old Mar 16th 2008, 4:42 pm
Just Joined

Tricialc is just really niceTricialc is just really niceTricialc is just really niceTricialc is just really niceTricialc is just really niceTricialc is just really niceTricialc is just really niceTricialc is just really nice
Default Re: Travelling 2 UK with son 4 9mths....

Yep, my son was born in the US
I was under the impression that you have to apply for the British passport in the country where the child lives, so we are applying for it over here.
We took standard photos and cut them down, so hope that will suffice.

I also understand, from the USCIS website, that green card status is not in jeopardy if you stay less than a year, but maybe to be on the safe side, in case for some reason I can't get back before a year, I should apply for a re-enrty permit.

I think once I have all the bases covered, (US and UK passport for him, re-entry permit and proof I have ties to the US) they should let me back into the US!
Old Mar 16th 2008, 6:05 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LAL
If the mother has a British Passport and his full birth certificate with her name on...there is the plan...

A U.S. birth certificate proves nothing about the child's British citizenship. Nor does the fact that the mother has a British passport.

If she follows your advice, she may have a difficult time with Immigration on arrival. Depends on how long they think she is planning to stay with the child.

Maybe if she obtains a British consular birth certificate for the child, things might go a little better.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 6:31 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

In addition, your husband should be entering the UK with a UK passport, not his US passport. Why in heaven's name would he do such a foolish thing?
Old Mar 16th 2008, 6:36 pm
LAL
Mad Geordie Spaniard

LAL has much to be proud ofLAL has much to be proud ofLAL has much to be proud ofLAL has much to be proud ofLAL has much to be proud ofLAL has much to be proud ofLAL has much to be proud ofLAL has much to be proud ofLAL has much to be proud ofLAL has much to be proud ofLAL has much to be proud of

Yes I agree a US Birth Certificate doesn't prove UKC but it does prove who the child's parents are....
The parent's Certificate of Naturalization along with her British passport and child's US Birth Certificate naming UKC parent prove the child's UK Citizenship....
Because no matter where the child is born if the UKC parent is a British Citizen otherwise than by descent the child is at birth an automatic UK Citizen and does not need to be registered, whether or not they have a UK passport, they are British and even if immigration quibbled on the way in they would be allowed entry to the UK on a US Passport, then the UKC parent could apply for passport in UK.
But this is all hypothetical because OP has stated she is applying for her son's UK passport in the US before she leaves for UK, me being a meany skinflint would have waited and done it in UK but that is just me being me

Hope this helps.

Lal
Old Mar 16th 2008, 6:45 pm
LAL
Mad Geordie Spaniard

It doesn't matter which passport he uses, it only matters when entering the US.
Many people do it, it's not foolish, just sometimes happens if the other passport is lost, stolen or expired,etc. It's not illegal he didn't do anything against the law, like I said the UK doesn't have any restrictions on which passport you use.
In fact you used to be able to request that a stamp be placed in your foreign passport at immigration to facilitate entry, now I think you have to send your foreign passport away and get the stamp costs money too!!! But it can be useful for people who have dual citizenship with a country that frowns upon dual/multiple nationalities for their citizens such as Japan that requires the person to choose nationality at some point.

LAL
Old Mar 16th 2008, 7:21 pm
Just Joined

Tricialc is just really niceTricialc is just really niceTricialc is just really niceTricialc is just really niceTricialc is just really niceTricialc is just really niceTricialc is just really niceTricialc is just really nice

Originally Posted by Rete
In addition, your husband should be entering the UK with a UK passport, not his US passport. Why in heaven's name would he do such a foolish thing?
He's only going for a week...so it's really not that foolish.

Thanks for your advice LAL.

Last edited by Tricialc; Mar 16th 2008 at 7:23 pm.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 7:45 pm
LAL
Mad Geordie Spaniard

I think Rete was referring to my very silly husband who on a recent visit to France and Spain realised that his UK passport had expired, thankfully for some unknown reason I had picked up his US Passport, he left UK on expired UK passport (via Dover) didn't realise and we frantically tried to find out if he would be allowed back - they told us that you can actually travel back into UK on an expired UK passport they don't like people knowing it though, immigration told us that just because your passport has expired doesn't mean you stop being a British Citizen, but they were concerned the travel operator (he flew back himself for work and left us in Spain) would not allow him to board the plane in Spain with an expired passport all depends on the company's policys so he played it safe and used his US passport - he got a few joking comments on arrival at UK immigration as he has a broad Geordie accent but apart from that they were fine. Needless to say once we came back I applied for his new UK passport £72 + £8 postoffice checking fee and gave him a severe slap for causing no end of stress!!!

LAL xxx

P.S. after picking myself up from the floor or the postoffice I took all 3 passport applications (his, our daughters and my mothers) and handed them in at the passport office in Durham saved meself £24 oh and the 30p stamp hehe.