Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Timeline for EEA family permit applications from USA (NYC)

Timeline for EEA family permit applications from USA (NYC)

Old Dec 4th 2018, 8:20 pm
Just Joined

Chainazze is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Timeline for EEA family permit applications from USA (NYC)

Hi,

Has anyone applied for an EEA family permit from the US on or after 09/2018, and if so what was your timeline? I am the non-EEA wife (living in the US under H1B) of an EEA national who lives and works in the UK (since 2015). I've just sent my docs today for my 2nd EEA family permit (1st one expired in August), but I am afraid I won't receive my passport back in time for travel before Christmas; especially considering all the mess that's taking place since they started sending all the applications to Sheffield. I know EEA family permit applications are supposed to be treated as priority, but does anyone know how long it actually takes them to process a rather straight-forward case (spouse, several prior visas, no refusal etc.)?

Any guidance would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Last edited by Chainazze; Dec 4th 2018 at 8:45 pm.
Old Dec 4th 2018, 9:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Timeline for EEA family permit applications from USA (NYC)

EEA Family permits don't get any special priority as far as I know. It will take as long as it takes.

As you don't appear to have been living together permanently since 2015 (he lives and works in the UK) then it might not be as straightforward as you think.
Old Dec 4th 2018, 9:31 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
EEA Family permits don't get any special priority as far as I know. It will take as long as it takes.

As you don't appear to have been living together permanently since 2015 (he lives and works in the UK) then it might not be as straightforward as you think.
Thanks for the reply! Re: the priority issue, please see:

"Application for an EEA Family Permit:

This page tells you about applications for a European Economic Area (EEA) family permit under the 2016 regulations.
An EEA family permit is issued to family members of EEA nationals who are outside the UK to assist their entry to the UK to join or accompany the EEA national.
These permits are valid for a period of 6 months from their date of issue. In certain circumstances, a family member of a British citizen can apply for an EEA family permit. For further information, please see: Free movement rights: family members of British citizens.
Applications are dealt with by visa services and these applications are free of charge and must be treated as a priority application."

Source: Processes and procedures for EEA documentation applications Version 7.0 This guidance applies and interprets the Immigration (European Economic Area) Regulations 2016 (as amended).

Also, to give a bit more detail re: our case, we have been married since Jan 2018 but never truly cohabited yet since he moved to the UK from the US end of 2015 ā€“ about a year after we started dating. However, we have been travelling almost on a monthly basis for the past 3 years to see each other, we both are employed & financially self-sufficient and both my 1st and 2nd application includes several supporting documents to prove the genuineness of the relationship. Also, my 1st EEA family permit application, which was filed only a few weeks after getting married at the City Hall, was approved within 3 BD. Just hoping that it doesn't take more than 3 weeks this time...
Old Dec 4th 2018, 10:21 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Your last application is probably the best guide to the timeframe for this one.
Old Dec 4th 2018, 10:33 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Your last application is probably the best guide to the timeframe for this one.
I hope you're right! I just don't know how the new system (VFS & Sheffield) as opposed to the old one (NYC consulate directly reviewing&deciding the application) will affect the timeframe...
Old Dec 4th 2018, 10:42 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chainazze
I hope you're right! I just don't know how the new system (VFS & Sheffield) as opposed to the old one (NYC consulate directly reviewing&deciding the application) will affect the timeframe...
Are you sure that your application will be processed in Sheffield?
Old Dec 4th 2018, 11:02 pm
Just Joined

Are you sure that your application will be processed in Sheffield?
Almost certain... Couldn't find a direct link to the UKVI statement, but many of the immigration law firms have published updates similar to the below quote:

"U.K to phase out NY Consulate

What is the change? UK Visas and Immigration is no longer accepting visa applications at the British Consulate in New York, which will cease operations Oct. 31.
What does the change mean? New visa applications in the U.S.will be mailed to VFS, the visa processing service that contracts with the U.K. government. Applicants will continue to attend biometrics appointments at VFS centers.

Background: In June, UKVI announced that visa processing would end in New York, the former U.S. processing hub, in October. UKVI also unveiled numerous pilot programs as it moves toward digitalization and onshoring of visa processing. Among the other changes, electronic applications will be more widespread and processing will be centralized in Sheffield, England;

Analysis & Comments: ThoughUKVI has indicated that visa application processing times will remain the same, applicants in the U.S. applying for U.K. visas should be aware of the changes and plan for the possibility of delays. The British Consulate General in New York previously processed approximately 95 percent of all applications within posted processing times, but the transition to the Decision Making Center in Sheffield may have an impact on the turnaround times for new applications during the initial ramp-up period."
Old Dec 4th 2018, 11:08 pm

Almost certain... Couldn't find a direct link to the UKVI statement, but many of the immigration law firms have published updates similar to the below quote:"U.K to phase out NY Consulate

What is the change? UK Visas and Immigration is no longer accepting visa applications at the British Consulate in New York, which will cease operations Oct. 31.
What does the change mean? New visa applications in the U.S.will be mailed to VFS, the visa processing service that contracts with the U.K. government. Applicants will continue to attend biometrics appointments at VFS centers.

Background: In June, UKVI announced that visa processing would end in New York, the former U.S. processing hub, in October. UKVI also unveiled numerous pilot programs as it moves toward digitalization and onshoring of visa processing. Among the other changes, electronic applications will be more widespread and processing will be centralized in Sheffield, England;

Analysis & Comments: ThoughUKVI has indicated that visa application processing times will remain the same, applicants in the U.S. applying for U.K. visas should be aware of the changes and plan for the possibility of delays. The British Consulate General in New York previously processed approximately 95 percent of all applications within posted processing times, but the transition to the Decision Making Center in Sheffield may have an impact on the turnaround times for new applications during the initial ramp-up period."

Thanks for that. It appears that VFS in New York will be scanning all US visa applications for processing in Sheffield. Given the previous track record of such repatriations that probably means a lengthier processing time than presently. That being said EEA Family Permits should be processed as a priority so we'll have to see.

Why didn't you use your first EEA FP?
Old Dec 4th 2018, 11:31 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for that. It appears that VFS in New York will be scanning all US visa applications for processing in Sheffield. Given the previous track record of such repatriations that probably means a lengthier processing time than presently. That being said EEA Family Permits should be processed as a priority so we'll have to see.

Why didn't you use your first EEA FP?
I unfortunately didn't manage to sort out my work situation before the expiry of the 1st EEA FP. I am now planning to move permanently in the next 2 months or so to join my husband in the UK, hence the need for the 2nd FP.

Like you said, it is almost certain that the process will be lengthier than it was before. The question is how much more. I'll make sure to update once I have news...
Old Dec 4th 2018, 11:49 pm

I unfortunately didn't manage to sort out my work situation before the expiry of the 1st EEA FP. I am now planning to move permanently in the next 2 months or so to join my husband in the UK, hence the need for the 2nd FP.

Like you said, it is almost certain that the process will be lengthier than it was before. The question is how much more. I'll make sure to update once I have news...

Are you a UK visa national?
Old Dec 5th 2018, 3:02 pm
Just Joined

Are you a UK visa national?
Unfortunately yes.
Old Dec 5th 2018, 4:34 pm

Unfortunately yes.
Just a waiting game then Iā€™m afraid. Let us know how you get on.
Old Dec 13th 2018, 4:33 pm
Just Joined

Good news: just got my passport back! Here is the timeline:

Application location: New York
Online application: November 27, 2018
Bio-metrics and documents sent to VFS NY Scanning Hub: December 3, 2018 (delivered on December 4th)
Email from Sheffield that the application is being prepared for review by an ECO: December 7, 2018
Not straightforward email: December 10, 2018
Email asking for missing documents: December 10, 2018 ā€“ I sent the docs they asked the same day
Decision made: December 12, 2018
Passport received with visa: December 13, 2018

Not sure who is to blame (VFS v. Home Office), but the docs proving that my husband is a "qualified person" (employment letter & payslips) which were included in my application did not make it to Sheffield in the first place; hence the not straightforward email to gain time. I am glad that I listened to the advice given here (thanks forum!!) and included in the cover letter a list of all the docs I was sending along with the application and the Home Office reached out to ask for the missing docs. So, with that hiccup, it took 8 business days in total from the date the VFS scanning hub received the docs.

Thanks again, and good luck everyone!