Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Surinder Singh: Can dual UK/Irish citizen bring spouse through Ireland?

Wikiposts

Surinder Singh: Can dual UK/Irish citizen bring spouse through Ireland?

Old Feb 27th 2014, 1:18 pm
Just Joined

Adaam is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Surinder Singh: Can dual UK/Irish citizen bring spouse through Ireland?

Originally Posted by chaoclive
It would be great to know how long the renunciation took as well. I'll be doing this sometime in the near future.

Thanks a lot!
CC
Hello my friend, We got the renunciation back. Wife is no longer british now officially. It took us 2 and a half month to get it back.

Application for renunciation sent on: 12.12.13
Renunciation received on : 27/02/13

Going to apply for EEAFP on 28/02/13

and that's it
Old Feb 27th 2014, 2:46 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Surinder Singh: Can dual UK/Irish citizen bring spouse through Ireland?

We did decide to settle in Ireland, at least initially, and stay long enough for me to get residency or even citizenship. We're not in a big enough hurry to get to the UK that we have to go now-now-now.
Old Feb 27th 2014, 3:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

chaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nice

Originally Posted by Adaam
Hello my friend, We got the renunciation back. Wife is no longer british now officially. It took us 2 and a half month to get it back.

Application for renunciation sent on: 12.12.13
Renunciation received on : 27/02/13

Going to apply for EEAFP on 28/02/13

and that's it
Super news (sounds weird but it will make things easier for you to be together in the future)!

I submitted my application on Feb 7th but payment was declined on Feb 12th (impossible according to my bank, but that's what that HO said:thumb down. After I kicked up a fee, they debited my card again yesterday and it worked. I guess I'll have to wait 2.5 months from yesterday. Fingers crossed.

All the best to you and your wife! Hope things go smoothly. Enjoy your life together
Old Feb 28th 2014, 4:03 am
Just Joined

Adaam is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chaoclive
Super news (sounds weird but it will make things easier for you to be together in the future)!

I submitted my application on Feb 7th but payment was declined on Feb 12th (impossible according to my bank, but that's what that HO said:thumb down. After I kicked up a fee, they debited my card again yesterday and it worked. I guess I'll have to wait 2.5 months from yesterday. Fingers crossed.

All the best to you and your wife! Hope things go smoothly. Enjoy your life together
Thanks a lot. We only did it this way cuz my wife had to be working, and earn some money for us to get ready to move there. Otherwise doing it from here together is the easiest option yep.
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 2:19 pm
Just Joined

skippyz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rebeccajo

And, asfar as I know, if the non-EU can get into the north legally via free movement, they can still claim Irish citizenship after three years via marriage to the Irish citizen. They don't have to live in the Republic. Get that done, and no need to bow to the UKBA after five years for permanent residency via the family permit.

In other words, get yer family permit, then get yer Irish passport.
hello there, can you please clarify your information above re:no residency in NI/ROI reqired for Irish citizenship via three year marriage? (or is it only in Ni?)

Your information contradicts my understanding and I cannot find the supporting information from anywhere. I know it WAS true until 2002 but anymore.

Hope your information is still correct - then I can get Irish citizenship through my marraige to my Irish partner living ourside EEA and in the future I can move to any EU countries.....

Last edited by skippyz; Apr 22nd 2014 at 2:24 pm.
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 6:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

chaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nice

Rebeccajo is correct. Please read her post carefully. She didn't say that you don't need to live in Ireland - she said: you can apply from the north (i.e. NI). There is definitely no requirement to live in the ROI if you are living in NI with your Irish spouse.

You can apply for Irish citizenship after living on the island of Ireland for 3 years - this obviously includes NI. You can find this info on the INIS website under Naturalisation.

You cannot get Irish citizenship by marriage by living outside Ireland any longer.