Aussie application for British passport query

Old Apr 23rd 2014, 8:42 am
Just Joined

hazbeenz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Aussie application for British passport query

I know the answer is probably in the pages somewhere but I cannot find it. I am currently about to apply to receive my first british passport and the first page of the application has me stumped.
Could you please advise how I answer question the qustion on page 1 of the application "Was the applicant a British national at birth?"
My father was Scottish and arrived in Australia in the early 1960s. He married my Aussie born mother in 1964 and I was born later that same year in Australia. I have never been to Britain. I am so confused by all the different types of citizen, nationality and subjects. Some help in clarifying this would be much appreciated so I can get my application underway.
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 9:55 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aussie application for British passport query

It sounds like you acquired British citizenship (by descent) when you were born - automatically - IF your father was born in the United Kingdom. You say he was Scottish, but where was he born?

By the way, you do not normally have to send away your Australian passport (if you have one) with an application for a British passport. They will usually accept a copy of the ID page.
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 10:20 am
Just Joined

My father was born in Glasgow. His parents were born in scotland. I just need to know if I answer yes or no to the question "Was the applicant a British national at birth?"
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 10:33 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hazbeenz
My father was born in Glasgow. His parents were born in scotland. I just need to know if I answer yes or no to the question "Was the applicant a British national at birth?"
You've now told us that your father was born in the United Kingdom and was married to your mother when you were born. Based on those facts, it appears that you were British (by descent) when you were born.
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 10:38 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your information. Still confused if it means that I am also classed as a British national at birth?
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 10:39 am
JAJ
Retired

Still confused if it means that I am also classed as a British national at birth?
Out of interest, exactly what is unclear about the comment: "it appears that you were British (by descent) when you were born."
If you require further guidance, have you thought about looking up the British Nationality Act 1948 (the law at the time) for yourself?

Last edited by JAJ; Apr 23rd 2014 at 11:07 am.
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 11:07 am
Just Joined

Sorry I should ask does being British by descent mean the same as being a British National at birth?
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 11:08 am
JAJ
Retired

Sorry I should ask does being British by descent mean the same as being a British National at birth?
"British national" is a generic, non-statutory term that covers all the different categories of British nationality. Including British citizenship.
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 11:13 am
Just Joined

Thank you, you have been very helpful. Question answered.