Spouse visa with stepchild over 18

Old Mar 1st 2016, 10:12 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spouse visa with stepchild over 18

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I think the child's natural father can block such an adoption, and you can't have three parents.
True, you can't have three biological parents but you can have 2 biological and one step-parent
Old Mar 1st 2016, 10:37 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spouse visa with stepchild over 18

Originally Posted by quiltman
Hmmm. As your husband is the Brit citizen, cannot he adopt your daughter and pass on BC to her?As i understand it the US adoption process is recognised by the UK. BIP, what's your take on this ?
Originally Posted by Pulaski
I think the child's natural father can block such an adoption, and you can't have three parents.
Originally Posted by quiltman
I see. I only ask because my wife was adopted by her stepfather even though her biological father was still alive , but admittedly thought to be in Australia. I must look at her, and her sisters adoption papers.
Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
True, you can't have three biological parents but you can have 2 biological and one step-parent
British citizenship through adoption is possible whilst the person concerned is still under 18. If adopted in the UK then the OP's stepdaughter will automatically become a British citizen otherwise than by descent the day the adoption order comes into force. This may negate the need to apply for a dependent child visa at all.

Whether that is a practical possibility assuming the biological father is still living and taking an active interest in the child I cannot say for certain as I am not au fait with the UK adoption process itself but I suspect not based on this information.

Overall I suspect going down the dependent child visa route and allowing the stepdaughter to naturalise at a later date is a simpler proposal.