Spouse visa renewal

Old Jul 10th 2022, 3:16 pm
Forum Regular

timdavies is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spouse visa renewal

Hi all -

After advice here a few months ago, we delayed renewing my wife's spouse visa (expires at the end of July) and are finally doing it this week while stuck at home with Covid. Several questions:

1) We were confused by the question "Could you and your partner live together outside the UK if necessary?". I guess the answer is yes (but it would be really annoying). Presumably annoying doesn't count, and its a question for those where the sponsor really couldn't leave the UK (safety, health etc).
2) Also the question: "Would your children be affected if your application was refused?" My wife is 32 weeks pregnant, so although she doesn't currently have children that would be affected, she may do by the time the application is dealt with. Should we mention this? (of course for the rest of the application we state we have no dependents).
3) On a technical note, how are the supporting docs submitted? Do we scan and upload, mail etc? Presumably, we get told on the final page of the application, but we haven't paid the NHS surcharge yet, so haven't got through that far!

Best,
Tim
Old Jul 10th 2022, 3:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spouse visa renewal

1. The question is asked in case your application is refused for whatever reason. If the applicant is from somewhere like Ukraine this would result in a NO answer and the case worker would have to consider an alternative route for the applicant i.e routing them to a 10 year application. You can answer yes.
2. If you have put no dependents in the rest of the form then answer not applicable or yes
3, You upload everything.
Old Jul 11th 2022, 8:49 am
Just Joined

RoqVodster is an unknown quantity at this point

I had the same query for my recent renewal application, and SanDiegogirl also helpfully advised me in that instance - as yes we could live elsewhere despite it being very stressful now that our lives and careers and my wife's family are here, but we wouldn't face persecution, etc.

This was current as of a few weeks ago - for supporting docs, at the end of your application you get a list of documents (based on your answers) you will need to attach (you can download this as a checklist). You submit these in the portal on the same website you book your biometric appt - this is a separate system to the renewal application portal, you'll receive these instructions at the same time as the IHS surcharge instructions once you've submitted the initial renewal application.

You can upload or remove docs until you click to 'submit' them, right up to the appointment (although you can only 'view' uploaded docs to check they're the right ones, immediately after initially uploading them). As others have said, black and white scans keep these under the size limit. Also note that, unhelpfully, the generic categories in the upload portal will not match the categories in your checklist (because your own one is dynamic based on your responses) so double check you've added everything you need to.

At my biometrics appointment the staff member did a quick check that all of my scans were legible - especially things like passports - before seeking my consent to submit the application in full. As well as passport, BRP etc., I had taken copies of my uploaded docs in case any needed to be rescanned (although I had only paid for the minimum service I believe I could have got one or two 'free' scans if needed).

Good luck with your renewal!
Old Jul 11th 2022, 9:10 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Nice one Roq, I love to see people who've had help on the forum come back to help others
Old Jul 11th 2022, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

Thanks all - and great to hear from those who've done it recently and have up-to-date information. @ RogVodstr, how long did it take to get a biometric appointment (under the cheapest option!)? We're not likely to be travelling in the near future, but would be nice to get it done.
I may have asked about this here before, but as long as the initial application is submitted before the visa expires, the biometric appointment can be afterwards - is that correct?
Old Jul 11th 2022, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

spouse of scouse Yes! We planned on doing this after our initial application, as help from this forum was critical in resolving our case. (another forum user had submitted to the same office on the same day, and both our applications were mistakenly put in the non-priority pile. They contacted their MP, and suggested we do the same - it worked!) However, the whole thing was so stressful, I found it painful to re-visit these forums. Hopefully, this time will be smoother, and we'll be in a good place to come back and help others!

Last edited by timdavies; Jul 11th 2022 at 9:28 am.
Old Jul 11th 2022, 10:05 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by timdavies
Thanks all - and great to hear from those who've done it recently and have up-to-date information. @ RogVodstr, how long did it take to get a biometric appointment (under the cheapest option!)? We're not likely to be travelling in the near future, but would be nice to get it done.
I may have asked about this here before, but as long as the initial application is submitted before the visa expires, the biometric appointment can be afterwards - is that correct?
I'm in West Yorkshire and was able to get an appointment in Manchester for a week after submitting - £130 was the cheapest option, 19:30 in the evening. This suited as it was after work, but when I was looking there were no free appointments anywhere at anytime (looked at Leeds, Sheffield, Hull) for the coming month or so, and a handful of chargeable ones in mornings and evenings. I booked then and there although believe you can check later for new appointments, unsure of how frequently these are released. The Manchester site was very busy when I was there, but very efficient and I didn't need to wait long. No one else was wearing a mask but the windows were open.

When I submitted the initial renewal component, as part of the 'next steps' instructions (pay the IHS, upload documents, book biometric appt), it did state a deadline before which I had to have my biometric appointment, I think it was about two months, which would have taken me past my BRP expiry.

At the end of the biometric appt (once you consent) I got a confirmation email from UKVCAS that my supporting information had been submitted. You can't 'do' anything with that email and of course they can't give updates, but it's good to get the confirmation. In the email it states "Please note, your immigration status remains unaffected while your application is being processed". My employer used my application reference code to confirm my eligibility to remain working past my BRP expiry, and the Home Office confirmed to them my right to work for a further six months (appears to be from the date of my employer's query?) while awaiting my new BRP. I don't know if this reflects their current processing timelines or if it's just standard. I didn't want to pay for super priority processing (priority wasn't available).
Old Jul 11th 2022, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

Got it - thanks for that info. Its annoying that some of the information only seems to be revealed after the application is submitted (or after the biometrics appointment is done) so its great to hear from you.

Old Jul 19th 2022, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

RoqVodster Following your lead, we submitted this evening, 6 days before BRP deadline (we had covid the last few weeks which disrupted our submission!). We also paid 130GBP to have a local appointment in 4 weeks (2 weeks before my wife's due to give birth!), but it seemed to be worth it to have it so close (Newcastle Library hub, which is very easy for us to get to). The deadline given for booking an appointment was also 2 months, but wanted it asap, to get it done before the baby is born!

Good luck with yours!
Old Jul 20th 2022, 7:21 am
Just Joined

That's great, sorry to hear about covid, and hope you're both on the mend. I received an email on Sunday that my application had been successful, so I have had about a 4 and a half week wait since my biometrics appointment, which seems a quick turnaround at the moment. I consider that my application was relatively straightforward but who knows how it looks to those processing it. My new BRP arrives today according to the courier notification. Good luck with the baby, and of course the application!
Old Aug 18th 2022, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

I hope your BRP came in a timely manner. We just had the biometrics appointment (in a local library, very relaxed and I got a library card while I waited!). They said the estimated turnaround is 6-8 weeks at the moment, but we hope it is quicker given it should be a pretty straight forward case. After we submitted the applicaiton, my wife mentioned to her employer that her BRP was expiring the next week (I'm not sure why she told them this!), but they checked using her application number and it came back all clear too (this was before the biometrics appointment).

It seems much more efficient and simple than the initial application we made for the first visa!
Old Aug 18th 2022, 2:05 pm
Just Joined

That's great, especially that the reference number was all good. I hope the wait isn't too stressful. My employer proactively sought an update from me on my new BRP status about three months before the expiry date, just in case I wasn't aware...
The BRP courier came about 3 days after the email advising the application was successful. I had notice and could have redirected, delayed, etc., as you need to sign for it. You also have to pay for the privilege of mailing the old, cut-in-half, BRP back.

Also note that the new BRP may have an expiry date of the end of 2024, earlier than the actual renewed visa expiry date (which for me is early 2025). The letter accompanying the BRP outlines why. It looks like they want to phase out BRP cards by end of 2024 and rely on online checking, and ahead of this deadline intend to outline how this will be achieved. Hopefully this will still be an easy process in terms of proof for employers, at the border, etc.

But yes, it still seems a much easier process than the initial application!