Spouse visa help for a refugee

Old Oct 1st 2015, 5:13 am
Just Joined

Nazarsalih is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spouse visa help for a refugee

Hi there
I'm a refugee doctor from Sudan who lived in the UK since 2011. I was granted a temporary leave to remain for 5 years with a refugee status. I applied for asylum as a single.
I got in touch (through online social networks) with a girl who lives in Sudan and whom I met with years ago before my departure to UK. We got married 2 months ago legally under the Sudanese low (by proxy) as I can not and I'm not allowed to get back to Sudan.
Now I'm in the process of spouse visa application and I have few questions:

1: Would my refugee status make any difference?

2: How could I prove that our relationship is genuine?

3: In the application form there were 2 questions that confused me. When do you intend to travel to UK? (Answer: ASAP) How long do you intend to stay for in the UK? (answer: as long as my husband stays)

4: My wife is 21 years old and part of her 10 years travel history was when she was added (as a dependent) to her mother's passport. Should we mention that and should we send her mother's passport as a supporting document?

5: How important are our birth certificates? as they would need translating.

6: Should I send a ''certified'' copy of my travel document?

Thank you
Old Oct 1st 2015, 4:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spouse visa help for a refugee

So you don't have ILR ? Indefinite Leave to Remain?
Old Oct 1st 2015, 7:37 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nazarsalih
Hi there
I'm a refugee doctor from Sudan who lived in the UK since 2011. I was granted a temporary leave to remain for 5 years with a refugee status. I applied for asylum as a single.
I got in touch (through online social networks) with a girl who lives in Sudan and whom I met with years ago before my departure to UK. We got married 2 months ago legally under the Sudanese low (by proxy) as I can not and I'm not allowed to get back to Sudan.
Now I'm in the process of spouse visa application and I have few questions:
1: Would my refugee status make any difference?
In order to sponsor a family member to join you in the UK you either need to be a British citizen, be 'settled' in the UK (ILR, RoA, PR) or have asylum or humanitarian protection in the UK. The latter would apply to you if you do not have ILR yet. So you can sponsor your wife with your current status.

2: How could I prove that our relationship is genuine?
Primarily through your marriage certificate given your situation. I am not familiar with Sudanese (Sharia?) law but getting married 'by proxy' seems unusual. Do you any evidence that you have met your wife? Meeting her in person is one of the requirements in order for your wife to obtain a spouse visa. You should both write covering letters describing the development of your relationship, your marriage and your future plans. You should also provide evidence that you've kept in contact via social media, phone, Skype, etc..

3: In the application form there were 2 questions that confused me. When do you intend to travel to UK? (Answer: ASAP) How long do you intend to stay for in the UK? (answer: as long as my husband stays)
That is fine. You should however give a date you intend your wife to arrive in the UK. Bear in mind she will only have 30 days to enter to the UK from this date or the date the visa is granted whichever is later.

4: My wife is 21 years old and part of her 10 years travel history was when she was added (as a dependent) to her mother's passport. Should we mention that and should we send her mother's passport as a supporting document?
Your wife should send her current passport and, if possible, any previous passports she held including those she was included on as a child. Make sure that your mother-in-law won't need her passport though if it's still valid. Settlement applications lodged in Khartoum are usually processed within 60 days.

5: How important are our birth certificates? as they would need translating.
I would supply these. Make sure that the translations are carried out by a reputable translation company however.

6: Should I send a ''certified'' copy of my travel document?
Yes. You can have it certified at certain Post Offices.
Old Oct 2nd 2015, 1:15 am
Just Joined

Nazarsalih is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank You so much BritinParis for the great ideas..
I think the only problem for me would be the proof of how we met but I'll include a covering letter and any phones/chat history..