Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Spouse Visa Extension - Both Freelance - Audit Accounts or CoC?

Spouse Visa Extension - Both Freelance - Audit Accounts or CoC?

Old Oct 21st 2019, 1:42 pm
Just Joined

AussieExpat123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spouse Visa Extension - Both Freelance - Audit Accounts or CoC?

Hello,

I'm coming up to the renewal of my spouse Visa after spending the last 2.5 years in the UK on it.

I'm pretty we have everything under control, except for the part about what documents we need to provide for income - both my partner and I work as self employed sole traders which does feel like it complicates the burden of proof slightly (neither of us have payslips, P45/46/60's etc).

Please provide one of the following:
  • Annual audited accounts for the last financial year
  • or, If not required to produce annual audited accounts, unaudited accounts for the last full financial year and an accountant's certificate of confirmation, from an accountant who is a member of a UK Recognised Supervisory Body (as defined in the Companies Act 2006) or is a member of the Institute of Financial Accountants (IFA).

My understanding would be that audited accounts would be for directors of limited companies or someone in a partnership. I've never heard of sole traders getting their accounts audited, but obviously when dealing with the home office and VISA's things can be different.

I don't know the exact costs but I would imagine getting audited accounts would be significantly more expensive than a Certificate of Confirmation.

If anyone has any advice, and if possibly point to a document on the UK government website which lists who requires audited accounts, and who can get by with just a CoC, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 21st 2019, 2:30 pm
Just Joined

geoeng is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Spouse Visa Extension - Both Freelance - Audit Accounts or CoC?

I think the issue arises because they've lumped in directors of limited companies with sole traders in terms of how to meet the financial requirements, they don't expect everyone to submit audited accounts. Here's some more guidance on exemptions from the need for account audits, not sure how helpful it will be as it is not necessarily relevant to sole traders but hopefully helps ease some of your concerns.

https://www.gov.uk/audit-exemptions-...ited-companies
Old Oct 21st 2019, 4:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AussieExpat123
Hello,
  • or, If not required to produce annual audited accounts, unaudited accounts for the last full financial year and an accountant's certificate of confirmation, from an accountant who is a member of a UK Recognised Supervisory Body (as defined in the Companies Act 2006) or is a member of the Institute of Financial Accountants (IFA).
Please provide one of the following:
  • Annual audited accounts for the last financial year

The answer is above:

If you are not required to produce annual audited accounts -and as a sole trader I don't believe you do - then include unaudited accounts for the last full financial year and an accountant's certificate of confirmation, from an accountant who is a member of a UK Recognised Supervisory Body (as defined in the Companies Act 2006) or is a member of the Institute of Financial Accountants (IFA) in your application
Old Oct 23rd 2019, 12:16 pm
Just Joined

AussieExpat123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the feedback.

From those posts, and talking to other people in similar positions in my social circle the general consensus seems to be we do not need fully audited accounts and just the certificate of confirmation.

Visa has been lodged, using priority service and the appointment is next month.

Fingers crossed.