Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Spouse Visa Application Questions: Dependents and Partner Information

Spouse Visa Application Questions: Dependents and Partner Information

Old Jul 14th 2023, 8:47 pm
Just Joined

downkelsey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spouse Visa Application Questions: Dependents and Partner Information

I'm a US citizen moving from the States to the UK. My husband is a UK citizen, and my daughter is a dual US/UK citizen. I keep tripping myself up over the spouse visa application questions!

Specifically:
  • Does this person currently live with you?
  • Is this person traveling with you to the UK?
For both my husband and my daughter, NORMALLY they live with me, and we are all moving to the UK to live together there. However, the two of them left this week ahead of me so that they can get settled before school starts, move into the apartment, etc., while I stay behind to apply for my visa and get our home sold.

I'm not sure whether I should say that:
  • YES they live with me (because normally they do) or NO they don't (because temporarily we are apart)
  • YES they are traveling with me to the UK (because we're all moving) or NO they're not traveling with me (because they are already there and are both UK citizens who don't need visas)
Any thoughts???
Old Jul 14th 2023, 10:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spouse Visa Application Questions: Dependents and Partner Information

Don't think we have had this question before.
What happens if you answer either yes or no ..... are there then additional questions which allow you to explain the situation?

Personally I'd answer no to both of them, as I don't see a down side not to.
Plenty of sponsors enter the UK prior to the applicant if they have a job in the UK, and the only stipulation for the applicant entering the UK is that they do not do so before the sponsor.
Old Jul 16th 2023, 7:32 am
Just Joined

RoqVodster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Spouse Visa Application Questions: Dependents and Partner Information

Originally Posted by downkelsey
I'm a US citizen moving from the States to the UK. My husband is a UK citizen, and my daughter is a dual US/UK citizen. I keep tripping myself up over the spouse visa application questions!

Specifically:
  • Does this person currently live with you?
  • Is this person traveling with you to the UK?
For both my husband and my daughter, NORMALLY they live with me, and we are all moving to the UK to live together there. However, the two of them left this week ahead of me so that they can get settled before school starts, move into the apartment, etc., while I stay behind to apply for my visa and get our home sold.

I'm not sure whether I should say that:
  • YES they live with me (because normally they do) or NO they don't (because temporarily we are apart)
  • YES they are traveling with me to the UK (because we're all moving) or NO they're not traveling with me (because they are already there and are both UK citizens who don't need visas)
Any thoughts???
I did a similar thing to you, with my British wife moving back to the UK ahead of me to start her new job. I stayed behind for a few months to serve out notice in my job, sell our house, and apply for my visa.

So I answered "No" to the questions Do they currently live with you? and Will they be travelling with you to the UK? as a "No" answer was correct at the time of application.

I then had the following questions which allowed me to explain the situation briefly. I don't know how many of these questions come up if you answer "Yes", and bear in mind this was the form as it was in 2019 (although the questions are straightforward).
  • How often do you normally see (meet) [name]?
  • When did you last see [name]?
  • Why do you not live with [name]?
  • Have you ever lived with [name] within or outside of the UK?
  • Provide details of when and where you previously lived with your partner
The bills and bank statements in both our names submitted as part of the application no doubt also provided sufficient evidence of the truth and reasonableness of the situation. All the best with your application!
Old Jul 16th 2023, 8:53 am
Forum Regular

DernierVirage has a reputation beyond reputeDernierVirage has a reputation beyond reputeDernierVirage has a reputation beyond reputeDernierVirage has a reputation beyond reputeDernierVirage has a reputation beyond reputeDernierVirage has a reputation beyond reputeDernierVirage has a reputation beyond reputeDernierVirage has a reputation beyond reputeDernierVirage has a reputation beyond reputeDernierVirage has a reputation beyond reputeDernierVirage has a reputation beyond repute

I just checked my wife's application for initial leave to enter (this was in 2016 but the questions were the same as yours). She answered as follows, and had no problem getting her visa:
Does this person currently live with you? Yes
Is this person traveling with you to the UK? No