Spousal/Family Visa - 2nd Round

Old Sep 22nd 2015, 10:25 am
Just Joined

VicRiddell is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spousal/Family Visa - 2nd Round

Hi everyone,

I currently have a spousal visa, and am not sure what I have to apply for now. The website is so very different and the language is as well. I'm a bit confused and would appreciate any help.

- Am I extending my visa? I do not yet qualify for a settlement visa as I have only lived in the UK for a bit over 2 years.

- my son is also here on a visa - his visa states that he has indefinite leave to enter the UK - it expires the day his passport expires. Would I have to apply for another visa once he receives a new passport? If so, which one?

Not exactly sure why my son and I have different expiration dates on our visas but we applied simultaneously.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Victoria
Old Sep 22nd 2015, 2:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spousal/Family Visa - 2nd Round

Originally Posted by VicRiddell

I currently have a spousal visa, and am not sure what I have to apply for now. The website is so very different and the language is as well. I'm a bit confused and would appreciate any help.

- Am I extending my visa? I do not yet qualify for a settlement visa as I have only lived in the UK for a bit over 2 years.
The rules changed for new applicants that applied after July 2012 and it is now 5 years minimum for settlement (ILR). You will need to extend your visa for another 30 months and meet all the requirments again.

I think it is FLR(M) that you need BUT don't take my word for that, wait for someone to come along and tell you which one you need to apply for.

You will also now need to pay the new Immigration Health Sucharge of £500 to use the NHS - that started from April 2015. You pay the IHS with your visa application.

- my son is also here on a visa - his visa states that he has indefinite leave to enter the UK - it expires the day his passport expires. Would I have to apply for another visa once he receives a new passport? If so, which one?

Not exactly sure why my son and I have different expiration dates on our visas but we applied simultaneously.
I'm not sure why your son was granted ILE. The next step from ILE would be to apply for British citizenship, but I'm not sure why he was given ILE. The poster BritInParis will be able to help on that when he arrives.

Not much help, but I didn't want you to think you were being ignored.

Last edited by formula; Sep 22nd 2015 at 2:55 pm.
Old Sep 22nd 2015, 4:47 pm
Just Joined

VicRiddell is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you so much for this information! I will continue to look for supporting information.

Cheers!
Victoria
Old Sep 22nd 2015, 8:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you so much for this information! I will continue to look for supporting information.

Cheers!
Victoria
Hi Victoria.

I just checked on another forum and it is FLR(M) you will need.
FLR for the first time at 30 months. Lots of questions!

As nobody on here seems to know about your son and his ILE, the people on that site might be able to help you. Failing that, you could email UKVI and ask them why he was given ILE and you a spouse visa.

Last edited by formula; Sep 22nd 2015 at 8:07 pm.