Son’s American girlfriend pregnant!

Old Oct 9th 2018, 9:11 am
Just Joined

Krassy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Son’s American girlfriend pregnant!

My son left the UK in March 2016. He went to Australia on a working visa, which he extended. He has to leave on the 12th December.
He called me last night and announced his American gf is 6 weeks pregnant and they plan to ‘have the baby here’ (UK).
I have checked government website and it says he needs to be earning £18+ grand a year.
He was originally planning to come home for Christmas now he says he won’t come home until April. He is planning on going to NZ to earn more money.
Can you advise on their options. Thank in advance.
Old Oct 9th 2018, 9:49 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Son’s American girlfriend pregnant!

Going to NZ won’t be helpful if he wants to bring his girlfriend to the UK. He’ll need either a job or job offer in the UK earning at least £18,600 pa unless he has £62,500 in cash savings. Do they intend to move to the UK together to live or just give birth? How long have they been living together? I suspect getting married will need to be in their immediate future.
Old Oct 9th 2018, 4:32 pm
Just Joined

Hi, thank you for responding. I don’t think he had any plans for coming back in the near future but now with a pregnant gf they said that’s what they intend to do.
They’ve been living together only a few months.
It’s such a big shock, it’s an unplanned pregnancy. I don’t think they’ve thought of their long term plans.
There are no savings and currently no job offer.
Old Oct 9th 2018, 6:35 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

They’ll need to marry ASAP and your son should start looking for work in the UK if they want to be settled in the time for the birth. Does he earn over £18,600 pa in the US at the moment?
Old Oct 9th 2018, 8:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

From the sounds of it the guy is in Australia on a work visa and then plans to go to NZ to earn more money; so doubt he currently earns the equivalent of 18,600 GBP per annum

If this is the case then he would need to return to the UK, get a job earning 18,600 GBP, stay in that job for 6 months and then apply for a visa for his wife/girlfriend.

If the girlfriend is a US citizen why does she not return to the US to give birth - health insurance?

As a girlfriend, without a valid visa to reside in the UK, she would not be eligible to just enter the UK and give birth on the NHS
Old Oct 9th 2018, 8:51 pm

Sorry, yes, Australia. If he’s not earning over £18,600 pa now in Oz then best for them to marry now and then he comes straight to the UK to find work. Once he’s been working for six months then he would be able to sponsor her for a spouse visa. To be frank, unless he is already earning over the threshold in Australia, I suspect the timelines are too tight for her to receive her visa in time to be able to fly to the UK so she should consider giving birth in Australia or the US.
Old Oct 9th 2018, 10:17 pm
Just Joined

Thanks so much guys for responding to this cry for help. All I can do is pass on this information to my boy and hope.
Apart from him staying healthy, this was my only fear.
I’ve not seen him physically for 2 and a half years and I miss him terribly.
Thank you all
Old Oct 9th 2018, 11:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Krassy
Hi, thank you for responding. I don’t think he had any plans for coming back in the near future but now with a pregnant gf they said that’s what they intend to do.
They’ve been living together only a few months.

You should send him this link so he knows what he needs to do to meet the financial requirements:

https://assets.publishing.service.go...ment_Final.pdf

As a girlfriend only she has no chance of entering the UK, to reside, and give birth free of charge on the NHS.
Old Oct 9th 2018, 11:55 pm
Just Joined

Thank you.
Your advise is 100% marry to have any chance of being together here in UK?
I’ve sent link, it’s pretty intense just at a glance.I’ve sent him all your responses.
Thanks guys x
Old Oct 10th 2018, 12:15 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you.
I’ve sent link, it’s pretty intense just at a glance.I’ve sent him all your responses.
Thanks guys x
If your son's girlfriend wants to come to the UK to live as his partner, they'll either need to be married or have proof that they've lived together as a couple for at least 2 years. Other requirements such as financial, accommodation and good character are in the link SanDiegogirl provided.

Yes, the financial and other requirements will probably be difficult for your son to meet. As well as the income/savings requirement, the initial spouse/defacto visa fee is £1,523, plus £500 for the health surcharge. They'd have to find the same amount in 2.5 years, and again after another 2.5 years..

I'm sorry to hear that they've got themselves into this dilemma. If only we could put a wise old head on young impulsive shoulders.

Last edited by spouse of scouse; Oct 10th 2018 at 12:17 am.
Old Oct 10th 2018, 12:29 am

Thank you.
Thanks guys x
If they have only been living together a few weeks then it will be imperative. Applying as unmarried partners requires evidence of cohabitation for at least two years.
Old Oct 10th 2018, 5:04 am
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute

I’ll just throw it out there give how many Aussies have British grandparents, would she qualify for ancestry visa?
Old Oct 10th 2018, 5:06 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teza
I’ll just throw it out there give how many Aussies have British grandparents, would she qualify for ancestry visa?
Would have been a good solution Tez, but she's American so not eligible.
Old Oct 10th 2018, 5:25 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Thanks so much guys for responding to this cry for help. All I can do is pass on this information to my boy and hope.
Apart from him staying healthy, this was my only fear.
I’ve not seen him physically for 2 and a half years and I miss him terribly.
Thank you all
Then you need a hug among all of this shock and upheaval.

I live in New Zealand. I am not at all sure that his earning power would be better than in Oz. Not that this helps the situation really.
Old Oct 10th 2018, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by teza
Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Would have been a good solution Tez, but she's American so not eligible.
Only available to Commonwealth citizens I’m afraid although it would be worth looking at her family tree to see if she’s eligible for a European passport of some description.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.