Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Should I hire an immigration consultant for the spouse visa?

Should I hire an immigration consultant for the spouse visa?

Old May 25th 2017, 3:33 pm
Just Joined

NZRam is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Should I hire an immigration consultant for the spouse visa?

Hi everyone,

I'm an ex-pat Brit currently living in the US, having been away from the UK for the last thirteen years. Earlier this year I accepted a job at a UK university and will be moving back there in August with my American wife. We've been together for five and a half years, although we're only recently married. We lived together for four years but had to live apart this year because of work obligations (albeit with monthly visits). My new post pays more than the income requirement for the visa. She's also a native English speaker.

I'm currently looking at securing her a UK spouse visa. I'm wondering whether the application is sufficiently complicated or daunting to warrant hiring an immigration consultant. The university that is hiring me has their own consultant but they charge £1500 for the service. Suffice to say I'd rather not pay that if I can avoid it, especially given the enormous cost of the visa itself + the expedited fee + the NHS surcharge. The only thing that's making me think about hiring the consultant is the guarantee of having the application completed and accepted without any problems. We've heard some horror stories about UK immigration and, from what I gather, they can reject your application and still charge the fees if there is any problem with it.

So my question is: have people had an ok experience applying for the visa themselves? And has anyone hired a consultant and found it worthwhile?

Thanks in advance for help with this.
Old May 25th 2017, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

Chezdon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Should I hire an immigration consultant for the spouse visa?

What's the expedited fee? Sounds to me as though cases don't get much more straight forwards than yours. I'd be surprised if you come across any obstacles in the process. No TB test, no English test, married for ages, financially ok. Honestly, it should be a breeze.

And if it isn't, well then the whole systems f*&"%d!
Old May 25th 2017, 4:23 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the quick response. I assumed that our case would be pretty straightforward so I'm reticent to add £1500 to my big pile of moving expenses!

I think the priority processing is $500 but maybe they've put it up recently.

Is it usual for people to have their applications rejected on technicalities such as the documents being incorrect? From what I've seen on this forum they do call and ask for clarification/ additional documents if something is wrong?
Old May 25th 2017, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

I haven't finished the process yet myself - I'm currently just starting it. From what I gather, if you do the priority then they'll give you a window to correct certain documents, but I'd just try and make sure everything is 100% before you give it in. Obviously, lol.

I thought priority was way more than $500. Great news if it is that "cheap".
Old May 25th 2017, 4:44 pm
Just Joined

It looks like the priority fee might actually be $700:

UK Visa Information - United States of America - User Pay Services
Old May 25th 2017, 5:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Which category are you applying under?

You say that your new job, starting in August, pays above the minimum financial requirement, but, unless you have already been earning 18,600 and above at your current job, then you would need to be in your new job for 6 months before being able to apply for the visa.

Read the following document carefully, to see how you can qualify:

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...equirement.pdf

The forum will be able to better advise you if you provide all the details of your situation.
Old May 25th 2017, 5:52 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the response SDgirl. My current job here also exceeds the requirement so I should be ok. I'll be sure to include bank statements and my current contract to demonstrate that.
Old May 25th 2017, 5:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chezdon
I haven't finished the process yet myself - I'm currently just starting it. From what I gather, if you do the priority then they'll give you a window to correct certain documents, but I'd just try and make sure everything is 100% before you give it in. Obviously, lol.

I thought priority was way more than $500. Great news if it is that "cheap".
There is no "window" - priority or not.

Some people have been asked to produce additional documentation after they have applied (usually in cases where the initial documentation proves 98% that folks have complied to documentary evidence but that extra bit is required), others have just had downright refusals where documents have not been presented.
Old May 25th 2017, 5:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by NZRam
Thanks for the response SDgirl. My current job here also exceeds the requirement so I should be ok. I'll be sure to include bank statements and my current contract to demonstrate that.
So you are doing

5.2. Category A: With current employer for 6 months or more –
overseas sponsor returning to the UK
Old May 25th 2017, 9:45 pm
Forum Regular

I guess I didn't mean window. But I had heard that using priority gave you slightly more lee-way if you're missing like one payslip or something.

Why can't he use Cat B and save them both waiting 6 months?

No one on these forums ever talks about Cat B and it really confuses me. To be honest, the majority of that horrific financial document confuses me.
Old May 25th 2017, 10:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Chezdon
I guess I didn't mean window. But I had heard that using priority gave you slightly more lee-way if you're missing like one payslip or something.

Why can't he use Cat B and save them both waiting 6 months?

No one on these forums ever talks about Cat B and it really confuses me. To be honest, the majority of that horrific financial document confuses me.
If he has a current job earning 18,600, which he has been in for 6 months or more AND he has a job in the UK to go to which also earns over 18,600 he can go the A route and apply right now - he and wife then travel together to the UK.

.... or he could use Cat B if not with current employer for 6 months.

We talk about Cat B often........