Shared Financial responsibilities - Spousal Visa

Old Apr 16th 2019, 4:29 pm
Just Joined

Scot6817 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Shared Financial responsibilities - Spousal Visa

I moved back to Scotland after living in South Africa for 25 years and myself and our 2 kids have been here for the last 9 months (all British Citizens). Husband finishing work in SA and will join us. I am busy completing Appendix 2 - Financial Requirement Form for him and I am unsure what information I must submit in Qu 1.25 "Do you and your sponsor have any shared financial responsibilities?". What does this mean exactly ? conflicting info on internet.

We have always shared equally all costs to own & run a house in South Africa, to live and to bring up our two kids, but we had nothing in joint names as that is not allowed in SA. All we did was each pay about 50% of the total costs each month. Is this what they are referring to? Do I tell them what our financial responsibilities WERE when we all lived in SA? But we have sold our house and assets in SA (money will come to UK to buy house and assets here) and I pay for all living costs here in Scotland using my SA & UK bank account and my husband is still in South Africa paying for himself to live there. We currently live with my mother so no mortgage or rent YET. We pay for daughter's Uni fees here in Scotland from a UK bank account which has "our" money in it. This is a shared financial responsibility is it not, however Qu 1.28 also asks "Is your sponsor (me) responsible for supporting anyone financially, including children", so do I put the Uni fees in here and not in 1.25?

Concerned that I make one error and give the wrong info and the entire application will be rejected. No clear advise on line or on their website either. So confusing. I am not sure how much info I need to give on the form ? Any advise would help.
Old May 1st 2019, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

Hydreliox is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Shared Financial responsibilities - Spousal Visa

We had essentially a similar issue. What I ended up doing was stating in sections of the Access UK application, appendix 2 and cover letter is that...

1. We have run a household together where we shared financial responsibility for the last 5 years. This was supported with our house rental receipts in both of our names for the last 3 years. By submitting these we couldn't therefore deny ourselves that we have shared a responsibility.

2. As parents we have an obligation to our child for their financial welfare. I think this could be irrespective of relevant locations of family members.

3. As my daughter is a British citizen she is not included in our calculation for the minimum financial requirement as a dependent (their use of this term is ambiguous in this regard).

4. As our daughter is currently resident with me in the UK I am currently acting as the sole financial provider at this present moment as this is the most practical route for our family to provide care.

The questions aren't designed to create dishonesty (I think, maybe), but are indeed needlessly ambiguous and therefore I tried to remove as much doubt as possible for them reviewing it.

We are currently at WD11 from biometrics being taken for my wife and had an email today that the application is now with an entry clearance officer. That means at the present time that I can't confirm success with what I have said above. We did consult with a solicitor regarding the application who advised this as the best course of action. With children involved I don't know how you can discount the financial responsibility of both parents....it's just explaining it all that is the pain.

When are you applying?
Old May 6th 2019, 9:48 pm
Just Joined

Scot6817 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Shared Financial responsibilities - Spousal Visa

Many thanks for your feedback. Much appreciated and the info is detailed and really helps a lot. since there is not a lot of space on the actual form to write all that I need to I will submit an extra cover letter explaining our situation and put down the info as you did. Only issue we might have is that the main household bills were either in my husbands name or in the name of our Trust as most institutions will not accept joint names on bills or accounts. I will just have to explain the same. We are applying tomorrow as husband has just had to have his TB testing done and we had to beg for an appointment as the only registered Clinic in the Gauteng province in SA was taking bookings for the 28th of May. Praying our application will not cause too many headaches as we have been married and living together sharing all costs for the last 24 years, bringing up our 2 girls who are now 20 & 17. Just hope we don't have to submit proof from all those years. will need to send maybe 3 years worth of info? Good luck with your application - I hope all goes well. If you get any feedback from the Clearance officer that may be of assistance please let me know. once again thanks.