Settling in the UK (From Vietnam)

Old May 31st 2017, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

Saigon456 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Settling in the UK (From Vietnam)

Excellent.

Is there a good thread I can read that gives me an idea of what kind of stuff I need to sort out once I get back home that will allow me to start work ASAP? Regarding getting a National Insurance card, also getting my kid in school and any other critical documentation etc?

Basically all the priorities for someone who's been away for 15 years, doesn't have a bank account or any kind of credit history, living at the parents house. All I have is one of the old driving licenses and a library card. Cheers.
Old May 31st 2017, 10:43 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Providing you have a valid British passport and you can remember your NINO (the cards are no longer issued) then you can work immediately. Renew your driving licence is simple enough (pick up Form D1 from the Post Office) as is registering with a local GP. See here for school admissions.
Old Jun 2nd 2017, 3:20 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Your plan is:

- You move to UK and get job paying 11,800 GBP from July 1 2017.
- on July 1st 2017 you have 33,000 GBP in savings in bank
- you apply for spouse visa Jan 2018 using the 33K you have had in bank for 6 months, plus your income.

Yes, that would be OK.
Thanks. Can I just check about something. Reading the HO financial requirements guide, I see that I would need to get a job that would be salaried employment only, with the same employer, for at least 6 months prior to application if I want the above plan to work right?

For example, if I went back next month and got the first job I could find, then a few weeks later I found a better job etc....chopped and changed my employment...then I would need to show a further 6 months (12 months in total) prior to application of meeting income, is this correct?
Old Jun 2nd 2017, 6:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Saigon456
Thanks. Can I just check about something. Reading the HO financial requirements guide, I see that I would need to get a job that would be salaried employment only, with the same employer, for at least 6 months prior to application if I want the above plan to work right?

For example, if I went back next month and got the first job I could find, then a few weeks later I found a better job etc....chopped and changed my employment...then I would need to show a further 6 months (12 months in total) prior to application of meeting income, is this correct?
You need to show minimum employment of 6 months at the required level to meet the financial minimum (18,600 GBP per annum). This could be with one employer for 6 months earning 18,600 GBP or two employers for 6 months, one earning 10K, the other 8.6K.

If you take one job and quit after a month and then take another job the clock starts again with the second job.

You could take contract work
Old Jun 2nd 2017, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
You need to show minimum employment of 6 months at the required level to meet the financial minimum (18,600 GBP per annum). This could be with one employer for 6 months earning 18,600 GBP or two employers for 6 months, one earning 10K, the other 8.6K.

If you take one job and quit after a month and then take another job the clock starts again with the second job.

You could take contract work
OK....so once I get a job the pressure is really on to keep it for the whole six months.

Sorry, can you explain the advantages of doing contract work please? I'm not sure I even understand what that means?
Old Jun 2nd 2017, 4:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

OK....so once I get a job the pressure is really on to keep it for the whole six months.

Sorry, can you explain the advantages of doing contract work please? I'm not sure I even understand what that means?

Working for an employment agency where they obtain work for you albeit permanent/temporary or for a given contract.
Old Jun 2nd 2017, 8:38 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... Sorry, can you explain the advantages of doing contract work please? I'm not sure I even understand what that means?
It's for a fixed period, not open-ended employment. Sometimes it may be working on a specific assignment which will definitely come to an end - obviously a lot of construction work is like that, as is a lot of IT work, but other times you may work on a contract for x months then be offered a permanent job based on your performance while on contract.
Old Jun 3rd 2017, 3:50 am
Forum Regular

OK so just to be clear. With both salaried and non-salaried employment, I need 6 months of payslips?
Old Jun 3rd 2017, 5:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OK so just to be clear. With both salaried and non-salaried employment, I need 6 months of payslips?
Yes ......... showing that you earn the equivalent of 18,600 GBP per annum.
Old Jun 5th 2017, 4:53 pm
Just Joined

maleko is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

My name is Peter, I am a British citizen and circumstances have meant that after 15 years in Vietnam our family is now looking to move back to the UK. I have a Vietnamese wife (married for 12 years) and 2 children (who both have UK passports).

Just checking to see how we can meet the financial requirements.

We have an apartment we bought here that is worth around 68,000 pounds. It's in my wife's name, can be sold very quickly.

I'm thinking of coming over first with my eldest child in around 2 months time, staying with family and looking for employment.

What's the most painless way to get everyone over to the UK in the shortest time-frame? We would rather not spend too much time apart as I'm sure many here can relate to.

Would I need to have the savings in my own name in the UK or can the savings be in the wife's name and the funds kept abroad? What's the easiest way to get funds over to the UK if that's whats needed?

Thanks in advance.
Peter.
Try this visa. You can apply from outside the UK. You only need to apply for those without a British passport. A spouse visa requires an A1 English skills test, a negative TB test and your spouse needs to have funds to last one year.
After 33 months in the country, you can apply for leave to remain in Britain. After 5 years, you can apply for citizenship.
https://www.gov.uk/join-family-in-uk
Old Jun 6th 2017, 8:11 am
Forum Regular

And the fee we would need to pay for the visa would be the...

"Joining your partner or parent - £1,464"

Is that correct?
Old Jun 6th 2017, 8:43 am
Just Joined

Yes, that's the information that I received. There is also a charge for medical expenses at £200 per year. I was quoted £600 per person.

And the fee we would need to pay for the visa would be the...

"Joining your partner or parent - £1,464"

Is that correct?
Old Jun 8th 2017, 4:35 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by maleko
Try this visa. You can apply from outside the UK. You only need to apply for those without a British passport. A spouse visa requires an A1 English skills test, a negative TB test and your spouse needs to have funds to last one year.
After 33 months in the country, you can apply for leave to remain in Britain. After 5 years, you can apply for citizenship.
Where does it say that?
Old Jun 8th 2017, 4:46 pm
Just Joined

Elsewhere on the government website dealing with immigration. Are you asking because you want to know or because you want to disagree?
Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Where does it say that?
Old Jun 8th 2017, 6:24 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by maleko
I'm on the first stage of my spouse visa (initial leave to enter) and there was nothing in the requirements about having to show funds for one year. The financial requirement is met through one or a combination of the income or savings categories.

The visa stages for the 5 year settlement route for a spouse are the initial leave to enter visa, then the further leave to remain visa 2 1/2 years after that visa's activated, then the indefinite leave to remain visa 2 1/2 years after that. Once ILR is granted, citizenship can be applied for.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.