British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/)
-   -   Self employed US wife UKC Strategy question (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/self-employed-us-wife-ukc-strategy-question-769409/)

ldollard Aug 27th 2012 1:35 pm

Re: Self employed US wife UKC Strategy question

Originally Posted by Willgohome (Post 10245258)
OK so I'm a UKC born in London, Lambeth to be exact, 58 years old, although sometimes, well most of the time act and feel like a 30 year old lol :rofl:. I have been married to my wife a USC for 15 years. I'm a self employed home remodeling carpenter in the states. I don't have much in the way of savings but I am furiously changing that and over the course of the next 2/3 years hope to save $30/$50.000 which I'm pretty certain I can do, or win the lottery :nod:.

Here's my question/strategy. Let's say I save the amount I mentioned above, move the money over to the UK into a bank account (I know I'll have to work on opening an account somehow, maybe an offshore account first?) then go to the UK with my wife, (on a regular visa for my wife) I'm thinking book a flight together for a typical holiday, say a couple or 3 weeks, supposedly to visit family, which I will do anyway and I have loads of family there, siblings, son etc.

We get there, I secure accommodation for us, register my self employed business and start work. My wife stays with me for 5 months ish and not overstaying the 6 month visa that usually is stamped in the passport. She then goes back to the states for say a month and stays with her daughter, then returns to the UK for a further 5 months ish, then returns to the states for a 2nd time and stays there and applies for a spouse visa. All the while I keep working until my self employment accounts total a full year and make sure I earn more than 18.600 pounds.

Does this strategy sound ludicrous or does it sound viable? :sneaky:

So does anyone have any sage advise? please tell me it sounds do-able :thumbsup:

I know this sounds ageist, but the flaw i see in your plan, mainly is if you dont plan to do any of this until you are 61 years old and then spend the next 1 1/2 messing around with immigration you'll be over 62 thats 4 years away from now before you even settle together.

I'll be honest its highly unlikely you'll have much luck at that age building up a big enough clientele. It would actually make more sense to just go over now, leave your wife in the US, build up a business NOW, and probably in a year, hopefully in a year you'll be in the position to bring her over. Why delay it.

Willgohome Aug 27th 2012 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by ldollard (Post 10249742)
I know this sounds ageist, but the flaw i see in your plan, mainly is if you dont plan to do any of this until you are 61 years old and then spend the next 1 1/2 messing around with immigration you'll be over 62 thats 4 years away from now before you even settle together.

I'll be honest its highly unlikely you'll have much luck at that age building up a big enough clientele. It would actually make more sense to just go over now, leave your wife in the US, build up a business NOW, and probably in a year, hopefully in a year you'll be in the position to bring her over. Why delay it.

Idollard...What you say would generally be relevent but one thing I can say about myself is that I'm a really young 58 year old, I'm really healthy, not overweight at all, I eat an incredibly healthful way and can outwork anyone I know physically (i have been in business in the US for 28 years).

Having said that, I do know the clock is ticking (you're absolutely right about that) so the other part of my plan is to not just work for clientele but to buy flats/houses at a low rate/price repair/restore them and sell them on, this way I will not do all the work but I will oversee most of it, filling in with some of the work as I see fit. I have already had experience doing this in the UK in the last few years, ( I took a small hiatus a couple of years ago from the US and did this in the UK) so I feel it's viable and I think it'll be more profitable, I don't even mind partnering up with someone responsible on a single project from time to time.

As for going over sooner rather than later, I am 'biting at the bit' so that may very well happen.

Thanx so much for your thoughts, it prompted me to think about returning to the UK sooner, rather than later.

ldollard Aug 29th 2012 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by Willgohome (Post 10250482)
Idollard...What you say would generally be relevent but one thing I can say about myself is that I'm a really young 58 year old, I'm really healthy, not overweight at all, I eat an incredibly healthful way and can outwork anyone I know physically (i have been in business in the US for 28 years).

Having said that, I do know the clock is ticking (you're absolutely right about that) so the other part of my plan is to not just work for clientele but to buy flats/houses at a low rate/price repair/restore them and sell them on, this way I will not do all the work but I will oversee most of it, filling in with some of the work as I see fit. I have already had experience doing this in the UK in the last few years, ( I took a small hiatus a couple of years ago from the US and did this in the UK) so I feel it's viable and I think it'll be more profitable, I don't even mind partnering up with someone responsible on a single project from time to time.

As for going over sooner rather than later, I am 'biting at the bit' so that may very well happen.

Thanx so much for your thoughts, it prompted me to think about returning to the UK sooner, rather than later.

Sorry if my post sounded rude, but i know from experience that there is a lot of age discrimination in the UK, i'm sure others will disagree but they'd just be deluding themselves.

I wish you all the best