Is the Rhodesian Air Force considered Crown Service?

Old Apr 7th 2017, 3:07 pm
Just Joined

FO Gyro is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is the Rhodesian Air Force considered Crown Service?

My dad was born in the UK. I was born in Rhodesia in 1974. I've had a British passport ever since I can remember.

I can't establish if my passport is through descent, or other by descent, as it depends if it was gained through being a British Colony ie. as if I was born in the UK, or through my dad who was born in the UK.

I'm trying to find out if I can apply for British citizenship through my father, for my son, who is born in South Africa. There is apparently a clause about if the grandfather was in Crown Service at the time the mother (me) was born, then the grandchild can get.

The question is, does anyone know if the Rhodesian Air Force (or the Royal Rhodesian Air Force as it was known) is considered Crown Service?
Old Apr 8th 2017, 9:07 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the Rhodesian Air Force considered Crown Service?

Originally Posted by FO Gyro
My dad was born in the UK. I was born in Rhodesia in 1974. I've had a British passport ever since I can remember.

I can't establish if my passport is through descent, or other by descent, as it depends if it was gained through being a British Colony ie. as if I was born in the UK, or through my dad who was born in the UK.

I'm trying to find out if I can apply for British citizenship through my father, for my son, who is born in South Africa. There is apparently a clause about if the grandfather was in Crown Service at the time the mother (me) was born, then the grandchild can get.

The question is, does anyone know if the Rhodesian Air Force (or the Royal Rhodesian Air Force as it was known) is considered Crown Service?
In order to qualify for Crown service the individual concerned needs to have been recruited in the UK. It's unlikely therefore that service in the RRAF would qualify unless your father was transferred from the RAF.

How old is your son? Have you spent any significant periods of time living in the UK?
Old Apr 8th 2017, 11:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Probably not considered crown service unless transferred from RAF, but should have been !
Old Apr 8th 2017, 5:28 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the reply. The problem I find with these questions is that one always has to pay a fair sum from any professionals to get any type of answer.

My son is 7 at the moment. Unfortunately we haven't spend any significant time in the UK, apart from very short holidays there.

My father's family moved from the UK to Rhodesia when he was 5, and then he entered the Rhodesian Air Force after school in Rhodesia. So Crown Service is only if you are sent by the RAF in the UK?
Old Apr 8th 2017, 5:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the reply. The problem I find with these questions is that one always has to pay a fair sum from any professionals to get any type of answer.

My son is 7 at the moment. Unfortunately we haven't spend any significant time in the UK, apart from very short holidays there.

My father's family moved from the UK to Rhodesia when he was 5, and then he entered the Rhodesian Air Force after school in Rhodesia. So Crown Service is only if you are sent by the RAF in the UK?
I am not sure of answer, but part of answer may be when he served - before UDI ? 1978-1980 ? There are some websites for Rhodesian expatriates, maybe one of those sites you might check out for someone who has been in similar situation.
Old Apr 8th 2017, 6:30 pm
Just Joined

He served around the same time that UDI was declared in 1965. Tks for the help either way.
Old Apr 8th 2017, 7:10 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Crown service is only valid if the person in question was recruited for that service in the UK.

Are you looking to move to the UK or simply obtain a British passport for your son?